Upgrade/Replacement for Family

Actuary

2[H]4U
Decided to solicit some opinions here, as I can't decide which route to go. Dad/brother currently share a computer, but the motherboard just died. I'm not sure if it was a problem with the power supply voltages (a 500w Fortron Blue Storm PSU), though it isn't dead, but I happen to have an identical one from when I upgraded lying around, so I can pop that one in instead. I'll need some advice on whether or not that is sufficient given the rest of the post.

1. Dad mostly does web browsing, ripping DVDs, music, etc. Brother, as I mentioned, does try to game.
2. I don't think Dad wants to spend more than the $400ish range, which I know isn't much given everything here, which is why I'm assuming I'll have to go with simply replacing the motherboard and then adding the hard drive/video card, rather than upgrading the CPU.
3. I'm in the US near a microcenter, which seems to have some pretty solid deals on CPU/mobo combos.
4/5. Two options on parts: just replace the motherboard, or do an upgrade replacing the motherboard, cpu (and cooler I guess? haven't used a stock one in forever), and RAM.

Their current rig is an e8400 cpu with, I believe, 8gb of RAM, all hand-me-downs from me. I think this is their case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Musts: they're desperately in need of hard drive space since they've got some ancient hard drives in the 200-250gb range in there, and Dad does quite a bit with lossless audio and ripping dvds, so a 2tb hard drive is a must. Additionally, though Dad doesn't want to pay for it, my brother does try to game on Steam, and he's rocking an unfortunately ancient nvidia 8800 GTS, so he really needs something with a bit more power. Given the budget, nothing high-end, obviously, but enough so he can actually play - something cheap but still a clear upgrade from where he's at now, maybe like a Radeon 7790. I don't know what he does now with an 8800 GTS in there, I'm assuming he's playing games on Steam at like 5 FPS.

The Fortron 500W Blue Storm I have here can be reused (not the one that was in their computer).
6. No overclocking.
7. I believe they have a 17 or 19" 1280x1024.
8. Immediately.
9. Really aren't any musts for the motherboard. They'll never use crossfire/SLI, they have a sound card. Has onboard video come far enough that it's viable instead of a stand-alone GPU?
10. My Dad does have a copy of Win7 that he's had problems with, probably because some guy he knows gave it to him on a burned disc :rolleyes:. So yeah, an OS would probably be a good idea.

Last edited:
A10-6800K + GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+/FM2 mATX
2 TB HDD
2 x 4 GB DDR3
Stock cooler
HD 6670 (crossfire with iGPU)

About $400.

This is probably the bare minimum upgrade that I can recommend in your situation:
$168 - Intel Core i3-3245 CPU + Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM or Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3 or Gigabyte GA-B75M-DH3 Motherboard combination
$70 - Crucial Ballistix BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$110 - PowerColor AX7790 1GBD5-DH/OC Radeon HD 7790 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$89 - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$44 - Corsair CX430 500W PSU
$89 - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OEM
-----
Total: $570 plus tax and shipping.

The above setup pretty much accomplishes everything you want:
- Better gaming performance
- A legit new OS key
- New CPU, mobo, and RAM
- 2TB of storage

Yes that's a new PSU. I don't think reusing your Fortron PSU is a good idea considering that it's fairly old and wasn't all that great when it was brand new. It's also lacking a lot of newer features these days and may actually hurt your power bill since the old Fortron Blue Storms weren't really that efficient either.

Speaking of old, what case does that PC have?

Oddly enough, due to your relatively low resolution, the CPU plays a bigger part than normal in gaming performance. Hence the Core i3 setup rather than an AMD setup: The Core i3 will have better performance in games than many AMD CPUs out there.

If your Microcenter doesn't have the mobos I listed and you might have to get a more expensive motherboard, just go with this more cost-effective setup Haswell based setup instead:
$200 - Intel Core i3-4130 CPU + MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX Motherboard combination

Personally, I would recommend spending the extra $32 if possible for the above Haswell setup since you do get a better quality motherboard, a more up-to-date UEFI interface, significantly better support for larger hard drives, better and more SATA 6.0Gb/s ports, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with Dangman, for the CPU+Motherboard combo at microcenter, strive for that.
Here is my input:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2un5T

Extremely similar to Dangman if not the exact same. Nearly impossible to go with a 400$ budget for the required parts.
Definitely a 7790 though, I wouldn't recommend Nvidia at lower brackets.

Thanks for the help guys:

Dad has nixed spending the extra money on a new video card, so I'll have to decide if I like my brother enough to get him one with my own money.

I think I'm going to go with the following:
Intel Core i3-3245 CPU + Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM
Crucial Ballistix 8gb
Corsair CX500M
Toshiba 2TB HD or WD Green 2tb

Figured I would just grab the hard drive at MicroCenter too since I'll be there and the addition of shipping online would pretty much eat up any savings over buying in person. Any reason to grab one drive over the other?

Dangman - if I did go with the more expensive Haswell setup, would it make more sense to spend $10 more ($40 more - $30 bundle savings) for the i3 - 4340?

Go with the i3-4340 instead of the i3-3245. In addition to the i3-4340 being faster, you also gain a larger discount when you purchase a motherboard alongside it. I also recommend the MSI B85M-E33 to pair alongside the i3-4340.

The Corsair CX500M isn't a great buy, especially at Micro Center. Go with either the non-modular CX430 or the semi-modular CX430M. The CX430M only has the main 20+4 connector and the ATX 4+4 connector permanently attached to the PSU.

If you must buy your RAM from Micro Center, you'll gain a better deal by going with one 8GB stick of RAM instead of a 2x4GB dual-channel kit. If you want the best possible deal on 8GB of RAM, however, you'll need to go online. (I believe that Micro Center only has the 8GB DDR3 1600 sticks available. If your local store has 8GB DDR3 1333 sticks, have them price-match NewEgg.)

Go with the Toshiba hard drive over the WD Green. This is your primary drive, so the (approximately) 5900RPM spindle speed of the WD Green drive will create some performance issues while gaming.

Dangman - if I did go with the more expensive Haswell setup, would it make more sense to spend $10 more ($40 more - $30 bundle savings) for the i3 - 4340?

As Tiraides said, the i3 4340 is faster. In addition to that, I did say this earlier about the other Haswell setup:
better quality motherboard, a more up-to-date UEFI interface, significantly better support for larger hard drives, better and more SATA 6.0Gb/s ports, etc.

The Corsair CX500M isn't a great buy, especially at Micro Center. Go with either the non-modular CX430 or the semi-modular CX430M. The CX430M only has the main 20+4 connector and the ATX 4+4 connector permanently attached to the PSU.

Only 430w? (my grasp on power supplies is, admittedly, not great).

Last edited:
Only 430w? (my grasp on power supplies is, admittedly, not great).

Yup, you only need a 430W PSU since more than likely you're not going to get a high-end GPU (anything above $200) for your bro.

Yup, you only need a 430W PSU since more than likely you're not going to get a high-end GPU (anything above $200) for your bro.

Makes sense. I was considering handing down my 6870 to him and upgrading to something else myself. In that case I'd need a different power supply since this one only has 1 6-pin connector, right?

Makes sense. I was considering handing down my 6870 to him and upgrading to something else myself. In that case I'd need a different power supply since this one only has 1 6-pin connector, right?

No. There are molex to 6Pin connectors out there. Your video card should have came with one.

Back