Upgrade Recommendations ? From GTX 1070 to?

I set it to performance mode in driver tab as this is a ref RX 5700 flashed XT and 3700x is under the stock cooler that came in the box = https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/41177392

As that is where I am till I move to water blocks but that RX 5700 has displayed no issues on 19 .11. 2 driver and Afterburner

Last edited:
The 2070 Super will put you spitting distance from a 1080 Ti level of performance, with all the latest features.

As for whether it's "worth it" from a purely price/performance standpoint no it isn't. If you look at it from a want vs. need perspective you'd be infinitely better served buying the next gen of video cards as soon as they come out, not this one.

I went from a 1070, to a 1080 (got a good deal on the sale and switch) then moved to a 2080 when the RTX cards launched.

I like my high performance video cards. I like my toys. I'm not crying over the purchase but I can confidently say this: It was the most expensive barely-an-upgrade with the highest depreciation rate ever on a video card purchase I have made. In short, the price to performance gain was pathetic. I put an additional $400 in from my 1080 (at that time) to get 1080 Ti level performance and some RTX features that unfortunately I still havn't gotten to use much of.

Now, I do game 1440p... which means that on ultra settings on the very latest games the RTX cards do start to pull away from the 1000 series cards by a bit. The higher the resolution (especially 4k) the better.

So there's your answer depending on how much disposable income you have.

I fully plan on dumping my 5700XT or handing it off to the kids when the new hotness comes out. Now that my boys are gaming (10 and 8) I see every purchase as a $200-$600 coupon off the next big thing. :D

Now let's see how many gens I can get before the wife catches on, because I've been lazy about it. Had the 5700XT like 2 months and the old 1070 is still sitting on the desk collecting dust, and has not replaced either kid's RX580. :p

Dude, get on with it. Sell that thing while it is still worth good money.

I ended up with a 1080ti myself. I don't want to wait till the 3000 series and every upgrade I get means my co-op partner gets an upgrade in the form of my old parts.

It's been installed in my rig for a few minutes so, naturally, I'm seeing how far it overclocks.

Running some tests now.

After a couple hours of gaming, I'm happy with my 1080 ti, turned a bunch of games that were around 45fps at 1440p closer to 90-100fps, which is beautiful.
MH World is over 100+ FPS at 1440p and almost a stable 60FPS at 4k. I'm sure i can make it work at 4k I just haven't bothered yet.

Also, as I expected, that extra 3GB of memory seriously made a difference for stuttering and disk access in many of the games I play regularly, such as Monster Hunter World.
I also got a huge improvement in FFXV, which I wasn't really planning on revisisting but its actually smooth now. So, there we go.

Cities Skylines still has staggeringly awful framerates, as I'm hugely CPU limited there, but at least the hugely awful framerate appears more consistent. (Steady 20fps instead of a wildly varying 10-20fps).

I'm curious how much of the difference is the extra VRAM and how much of it is the hugely improved memory bandwidth of the VRAM. Is there a way to test that?

This should last me till the 3000 series go past their honeymoon stage.

After a couple hours of gaming, I'm happy with my 1080 ti, turned a bunch of games that were around 45fps at 1440p closer to 90-100fps, which is beautiful.
MH World is over 100+ FPS at 1440p and almost a stable 60FPS at 4k. I'm sure i can make it work at 4k I just haven't bothered yet.

Also, as I expected, that extra 3GB of memory seriously made a difference for stuttering and disk access in many of the games I play regularly, such as Monster Hunter World.
I also got a huge improvement in FFXV, which I wasn't really planning on revisisting but its actually smooth now. So, there we go.

Cities Skylines still has staggeringly awful framerates, as I'm hugely CPU limited there, but at least the hugely awful framerate appears more consistent. (Steady 20fps instead of a wildly varying 10-20fps).

I'm curious how much of the difference is the extra VRAM and how much of it is the hugely improved memory bandwidth of the VRAM. Is there a way to test that?

This should last me till the 3000 series go past their honeymoon stage.
I think you are just seeing what you want to see because you already went into it thinking the vram was the issue. It is pretty much fact that there is no unmodded game out there that stutters at otherwise playable settings at from lack of vram on an 8 gig card. I have a 2080 super right in front of me and I guarantee you there is no game stuttering because of lack of vram. And I had a 1080ti before so I sure know from some comparing them first hand. And there is also not one single professional review out there that I know of that has ever ran into an issue with lack of vram on an 8 gig card in a non modded game.

Last edited:
You find me any website that tests in imperfect conditions, such as with multiple 4k monitors all being used simultaneously, and I'll believe you.

Back