upgrade question regarding a gtx 750 ti vs gtx 760

jonicarter

n00b
I have an HP Pavilion which currently has 8gb of ram and an AMD A8 5600 with integrated APU. I'm in the market for a GPU upgrade and am debating between upgrading to a gtx 750 ti, or biting the bullet and grabbing a new PSU and a gtx 760.

My question is, will my CPU bottleneck the new GPU to the degree that I don't see a big jump in fps between the gtx 750 vs 760? I was also looking at the AMD R9 270x, but it seems like the 760 would be a better bet if I'm going to end up upgrading my PSU anyway.

I don't foresee any bottlenecks from that CPU with either card. The 750 Ti is a very capable gaming card but a 760 will be around 50% faster in most situations. What sort of display do you have and what games are you wanting to play?

My monitor is a Dell U2312HM, so it's max res is 1080p. I'll be looking to play new games as they come out for the next year or two with this card. I'm not opposed to stepping the resolution down to 1600x900 if I need to in order to keep the other options on the higher side. I just didn't know if the GTX 760 will present enough of a difference to justify double the expenditure since I'll need a new PSU as well.

I plan on building a whole new PC in the next 18-24 months, so this videocard would probably be replaced at that point.

What psu would you buy for the computer in 12 or so months? Buy it now and save the cost of getting it later.

A quality psu is the cornerstone of any build.

If you recognize the inevitable need for a psu, then you're only looking at the cost difference between the 750ti and the 760.

if you buy an amd card with that apu you can basically crossfire the apu's graphics with the card's. there a name for what its called but it currently doesnt come to mind............

A new PSU will add to the cost if you decide to go with a GTX 760, but keep in mind that if you get a good one it'll still be there the next time you upgrade too, and possibly even the time after that. A quality PSU is always a pretty sound investment. If you consider the PSU as an upgrade on its own and compare just the two cards, then the 760 is about 50% faster for about 60% more money, so it really just comes down to what you want to spend.

That being said a 750 Ti will run pretty much anything at 1080p with high settings. You probably won't have to drop any games down to 1600x900, but you will have to compromise on a few other settings with the more power hungry titles. If you want less of these compromises (or none at all in many games), then the 760 is probably the way to go.

Watch Dogs is a pretty good example of a game that will tax modern GPUs at 1080p, and it's apparently quite smooth at medium presets with a GTX 750 Ti, assuming your CPU is also up to the task:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1472-watch-dogs-gpu-cpu-benchmark

It'll vary a lot from game to game, but a general rule of thumb a 750 Ti will handle medium to high settings and a 760 will handle high to very high settings at 1080p. It's up to you how much you want to spend, but I don't think you'd regret going all in with a new PSU and a GTX 760.

If you decide to go with a 760, I highly recommend the new GTX 760 GC Mini we recently launched. It surprising even outran the full size 760 GC when I tested. It's a great card and should also be an easy fit in smaller cases:
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/galaxys-gtx-760-gc-mini-overclocking-small-package/all/1/

We've also been getting rave reviews on our GTX 750 Ti GC Slim too:
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/overclocking-galaxys-low-profile-gtx-750-ti-without-limits/all/1/

Hope this helps.

I thought Galaxy recently exited the US market?

But yeah, love my 750 Ti

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up grabbing a new psu and the R9 270x. Ended up coming in on budget and the pair was the same price as the gtx 760 by itself. The cards seemed to be pretty similar in performance based on everything I read.

Back