Upgrade problem with x64 Vista

dgingeri

2[H]4U
OK, so I installed the x64 version of Vista, while keeping my 32-bit XP installation on a different drive for dual booting, so I could expand my memory past the 4GB point in the future.

At the time, I was at 2GB. Well, I got my next upgrade last night, a pair of 2GB DIMMs.

I installed the 2 new DIMMs, giving me 6GB of memory, and ran a memory test from Ultimate Boot CD 4, to both make sure the memory worked properly and worked with the pair of 1GB modules I have. The tests ran fine.

I boot into WinXP, and it works fine. I can only address 3GB, but I knew that when I got it.

The problem comes up when I try to boot into Vista. For some strange reason, it will not boot with more than 2GB of memory installed. It can be either of the 2GB modules, or both of the 1GB modules, but if I install both of the 2GB modules for 4GB, or all the modules for 6GB, it bluescreens on boot, alternating between error code 0xFFFFFFFF0000000A and error code 0xFFFFFFFF0000007E. They alternate without fail, with the A error code first resetting after a successful reboot. (in other words, I boot it with 6GB 3 times, get A, 7E, then A, then reboot with 2GB, it boots successfully, then I put in 4GB and get the A error code again, with alternating 7E and A from each boot after that until I reduce the memory to 2GB again.)

I know it is not the modules, since they will boot into WinXP just fine and they will boot into Vista fine one at a time. They all test fine.

This leaves me thinking it is the OS. I have tried disabling PAE and DEP, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

Do you have this hotfix installed?

I know the error messages are different, but I believe the message in the article appears during install time. It may be a different message after the installation has completed.

That could be it, but I figured with an Athlon 64, it wouldn't be using a 32-bit DMA controller.

Is that in the CPU or the chipset? I have an Asus M2N32-SLi MB (Nvidia 590SLi chipset) so that might be the cause. I'll be ticked at Nvidia if their chipset caused this.

That was it. The KB929777 fix worked. It is very nice to have 6GB of working memory.

Back