upgrade path for a s939?

wahoyaho

Gawd
should i keep going up the s939 ladder? buy a am2 board and get am2 (i'm using asrock 939dual-sata2)? or start over and go the intel route?

most people will recommend you go with intel. they have the better processors right now and i dont think anyone knows what to expect from AMD, especially after the 2900xt fiasco.

I, however, am holding out for AM2+. since it is backwards compatible with AM2 and supposedly forwards compatible with AM3, I see this as having an excellent upgrade path. I'll buy an AM2+ board, slap in a cheap AM2 processor, and wait til AM2+ prices go down, or if the generation sucks I'll just skip and go for am3 processors :)

s939 is dead and theres really no point in to investing in it anymore. if you want an upgrade right now, go intel. if you can wait, i'd go AM2+. thats just a personal preference of mine. im not sure how much forward compatibility intel's current socket will have.

the core 2 duo is the best bang of the buck at the moment. AMD's opterons are pretty powerful too u might find some second hand ones at good prices.

just want to do a bit of cpu upgrading so it won' be bottlenecking my card hmm

seems like am2 would not be a good idea so i'm left with either

1) get opteron
or
2) go intel

just a couple of questions

if i go opteron, will i need to get new ram as well? or do i just need to grab the cpu

and for intel

i'll have to get a new board, the cpu, and new ddr2 ram correct? :s

if those are right then i might just get opteron for a small boost before building a whole new system since s939 is becoming obsolete

which would be better performance/money wise if (in cdn)
165-114.19
170-137.53
175-170.00
180-202.55

well... what do you have in your s939 mobo? The 939 opterons just recently got slashed in prices, a new 165 is only $99 now at the egg. Pretty good buy if you want to overclock and want some more time with your s939 system. If I new that was coming I would have not bought this system and just got that and a X1950Pro AGP!

if ut getting an opteron then ur stuck with a dead socket, a decent chip and down a few bills, if you go with intel you get a more scalable platofrm and a possibly faster chip. it's really up to you on what ur machine is used for. If it'sa business requirement that requires you to upgrade, by all means go with Intel.

I built my rig last summer, since the 939's were going down, i picked up a 3800 (now @ 2.5). Right now I can run games really well. Sure, it would be great to have the most amazing processor right now, but since I can still run current games well, i see no reason to upgrade.

as soon as the next gen games are playable with no eye candy (i.e. whenever crysis is released), that's when ill upgrade. but since all the games i play now work, i see no reason to upgrade.

I wish i had the latest technology, but its impossible when something new is always around the corner.

I built my rig last summer, since the 939's were going down, i picked up a 3800 (now @ 2.5). Right now I can run games really well. Sure, it would be great to have the most amazing processor right now, but since I can still run current games well, i see no reason to upgrade.

as soon as the next gen games are playable with no eye candy (i.e. whenever crysis is released), that's when ill upgrade. but since all the games i play now work, i see no reason to upgrade.

I wish i had the latest technology, but its impossible when something new is always around the corner.

I just did exactly what you're contemplating - had a 3800 and just got an Opteron 180. So far I notice next to no difference at all, although I haven't really started overclocking it yet. I'll let you know if it was worth it after I figure out how to OC like a champ.

I just did exactly what you're contemplating - had a 3800 and just got an Opteron 180. So far I notice next to no difference at all, although I haven't really started overclocking it yet. I'll let you know if it was worth it after I figure out how to OC like a champ.

I had a 4x00 x2 (forgot which one) and bought a highly OCable Opty 165 which helped me stay cool until the next big thing from AMD! I just didn't want to go through all the hassle of new stuff + new ram, etc. etc. So this was a good way to hold me over! :D

I had a socket 939 A64 running @ 2.5GHz and put a x2 4200+ in which runs at 2.8GHz.
Its the perfect stopgap solution until quadcore becomes mainstream :)
I'm surprised at how smooth windows and games are.

If you need more power than that go with C2D but its a lot of money (in comparison) of you dont need the power just yet.

if u want a low cost upgrade go with AM2... ull get the DDR2, PCI Express and wont have to worry about uprading ur s939 as it is discontinued.

Back