Upgrade or wait until new CPUs address the spectre and meltdown?

More testing for Kabylake i7 on W10

Applications:

getgraphimg.png

Games:

getgraphimg.png

Unless time is $ and you need to get invoices moving, I'd wait for coffee Lake to take a $ drop come November or see what other gotta have stuff drops.

If you work in a regulated industry and don't regularly update your gear every year I'd negotiate a personal equipment allowance.

It's not the CPU+Mobo....it's the ram+GPU that hurts right now.

Last edited:
Unless time is $ and you need to get invoices moving, I'd wait for coffee Lake to take a $ drop come November or see what other gotta have stuff drops.

If you work in a regulated industry and don't regularly update your gear every year I'd negotiate a personal equipment allowance.

It's not the CPU+Mobo....it's the ram+GPU that hurts right now.

It is the mobo too, mostly average samples, moved up to an even more pristine board. It's definitely not the cpu....ram is not that bad,....there is plenty of stuff fairly priced and will work well. It's mostly gpu right now...

It is the mobo too, mostly average samples, moved up to an even more pristine board. It's definitely not the cpu....ram is not that bad,....there is plenty of stuff fairly priced and will work well. It's mostly gpu right now...

In my area, there are a bunch of guys selling z370 boards they got in bundles ~$100.
I didn't go with a Maximus X last week for $200 bc I knew I'd be going x299 after my 7700k.

I can get a stable 5ghz on a stock 7700k, I set back to 4.8 for temp reasons bc 7820x does what +200mhz on a 7700k or 8700k won't do for me.
I need the write speed of more 3 nvme drives, ram + 64gb, and I'm ion HEDT at this point.

Representative of what's floating around here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sop/d/asus-prime-z370-for-8th-gen/6515403020.html

I was planning to get an i7 8700k but I'm waiting for a silicon fix meltown and specter.
i7 9700k (rumored 8 core) + z390 is said to be coming in 2018 H2.

With the limited availability of Coffee Lake and all the bad publicity from meltown and specter I'm hoping for an early H2 release.
Rumors have been popping up for a while now, so I hope that is an indication. I don't remember how early rumors were appearing on prior release to compare.

Rocking an old 2600K here as well, no reason to upgrade for me. Spent money on a better case/cooling and GPU/storage. Running [email protected] and have a super quiet gaming rig. I don't do anything productive with my PC, it's for games and multi media only, so not worth it to me.

I wish graphs like those (quoted above) were available for the 8th gen Intel CPUs - 8700 and so on...

Anyone know of such a graph / chart?

Also, what's the best way to determine if your CPU is currently affected by the Spectre / Meltdown vulnerabilities?

The 8000-series share microarchitecture with Kabylake, so the performance impact is the same: nearly zero.

Intel published a list of affected CPUs and the schedule of patches for each one. There is also some utility to detect if your CPU is affected, but I don't have the links at hand. Hopefully someone else remember the links and can help you.

The 8000-series share microarchitecture with Kabylake, so the performance impact is the same: nearly zero.

Intel published a list of affected CPUs and the schedule of patches for each one. There is also some utility to detect if your CPU is affected, but I don't have the links at hand. Hopefully someone else remember the links and can help you.
Has there been any extensive performance testing with the older architectures? Particularly Ivy/Sandy or even Westmere? I feel like I saw someone's personal testing a while back but I can't seem to find any 3rd party group testing.

Do they really go into the socket upside down?

I double checked it a few times before I latched it down.
Kept looking at the keyed corner with the mobo in my hands going "wtf that's weird".
Couldn't remember if the X99 white boxes I built years ago were the same.

For my gaming PC I disabled meltdown patch using InSpectre and deleted windows update service just to be one safe side, I do not feel need to install CPU slowing down microcode upgrades :confused:
I feel it in my bones that Intel they will use this situation to literally butcher performance of these already many years old CPU's to help undecided to make the only right decision...
Of course do not do what I did. My security relies on herd immunity after all so please install all patches and all microcode updates like all good kids do :cat:

Should I feel the need for proper Meltdown/Spectre protection I would buy Raspberry Pi 3 that is free from any of these issues and do not use Windows 10

That said, even if I do not care for security for gaming PC I would not upgrade to flawed platforms and wait until end of this year and see what comes out then.
It is not like 2600K is slow processor. In late 90s and early 2000s you got more performance improvement after a year or two and then it was more needed.

There will always be a new Spectre or Meltdown.

I wouldn't wait...

So you disabled updates entirely?
Yup,
... along with Windows Defender, Data Execution Prevention and even firewall. I also do not have UAC because I use Administrator account which is on Win10 the only way to actually have it gone without nasty issues with some applications and these new redesigned Win10 configuration windows which are in everything worse than they were in previous versions of Windows.
Obviously I had to also disable all the annoying popping up notification with red crosses and whatnot.

My PC have security level of Windows XP SP2. It was enough for me back then and is enough for me today.
I do not need all that security nonsense on PC which I use only to play Steam games and watch funny cat videos on YT and petty much nothing else.

There will always be a new Spectre or Meltdown.

I wouldn't wait...
Why not wait a little more and get properly secured processor on new faster architecture on new platform?

Where is the rush? :confused:

Currently have an i7 2600k and have been thinking of finally upgrading but with the recent news about current processors should I just wait until Intel changes the architecture to fix the spectre and meltdown bugs?
What do you use processor for and what is the rest of the system (including monitor)?

Performance bottlenecks in games can be easily evaluated by lowering resolution to something like 1280x720.
When I had Clarkdale Core i3 all games ran much faster at lowest resolution showing CPU performance was completely adequate and only GPU needed upgrade. Then came FarCry3 in which after lowering resolution frame rate was still slow. Then I knew I had to upgrade CPU and after I did there was this effect upgrading computers in the past had. Actually visible performance boost from crappy to fully playable. I could upgrade CPU before I hit bottleneck but then I would not see it in the same light. Would not even know if I needed it or not which would be kinda sad.

If you have good GPU and games run just fine but you feel this GPU it is not utilized to its potential then I think buying better monitor eg. 4K, as it will provide far better experience improvement than changing already fast CPU and make CPU even less of a bottleneck.

It all depends on usage. For a single player gamer like me, with only slight interest in online play, and non-FPS at that, my i7 2600K is still adequate. But for someone who games competitively, or want encoding performance, they would see much more improvement in an upgrade to a hexa-core modern CPU.

I've never actually installed a Windows update in my life. I did run XP SP3 and currently 7 SP1, though. My current build is like July 2011 or something.

As long as you are knowledgeable and careful with your browsing and downloading habits, most security features are not needed. The problem arises with software vulnerabilities that you cannot account for, that's where the additional OS layers of security are needed. The worst security vulnerability is an always active internet connection. If you disable your network until you actually need it, you probably could bet away with almost no security features. But if you are streaming media or gaming online, etc...and have sensitive data on your device, I would suggest as much security as possible.

Back