Upgrade or wait: mid 2022 edition

I'm pretty much in the same boat as OP; still running my 2080 and happy with it too. But really afraid GPUs are going to see 2021 levels of stupid again with supply and pricing after the next gen launches. So I'm pretty tempted to jump on the next 2080 10/12GB card deal that I see. 3080ti and 3090 pricing (even at MSRP) still doesn't make sense to me with their minimal real-world performance difference over the 3080s. Though I've almost bought either of those two cards as well just because they were available for a second before available got better recently. Then I remembered that I haven't really even touched my PC for gaming in the last few months because I've been on my PS5 mostly anyways in the last year with the few exclusives its had (playing a lot of Horizon and GT7 lately now). So it's hard to justify the upgrade when I'm not using much anyways.
I'm also leaning towards just getting a PS5. When you think of it, the PC gaming market is dead currently.

For example, what if I want to play a nice simple shooter where ADHD characters don't slide around like watching a rock concert with pink furry rabbit hat costumes "because customizing is cool"? Something along the lines of Call of Duty 4?

Answer is: I have to get a PS5, and buy MW Remastered. The PC version was not even tested before they released it, it doesn't function and there's maybe 10 people online.

Well. I just got a 12 gig 3080 for the low, low price of way to much because my 2070 super wasn't cutting it with the settings that I like to use at 1440p even with dlss.

Could the price have gone lower? Absolutely.
But I had the money when I bought it.
That rarely happens for me. The best deals only ever seem to occur when I can't afford something anyways.

I'm also leaning towards just getting a PS5. When you think of it, the PC gaming market is dead currently.

For example, what if I want to play a nice simple shooter where ADHD characters don't slide around like watching a rock concert with pink furry rabbit hat costumes "because customizing is cool"? Something along the lines of Call of Duty 4?

Answer is: I have to get a PS5, and buy MW Remastered. The PC version was not even tested before they released it, it doesn't function and there's maybe 10 people online.

No, the answer is you play Hell Let Loose or Squad on the PC because there is a lot more to PC Gaming than AAA studios run by MBAs who’ve never played a game in their lives.

No, the answer is you play Hell Let Loose or Squad on the PC because there is a lot more to PC Gaming than AAA studios run by MBAs who’ve never played a game in their lives.
These don't do the trick, they require too much from fellow players, so most of the time you are just wandering around in silence with nobody communicating in your squad. Take a few potshots after 15 minutes of silence, nothing, and then quit in boredom.

Something like Ready or Not would do the trick, but they are unable to produce a simple 1-life objective game mode without respawn. They tested MP with their respawn-arena-shooter mode and then decided multiplayer cannot be made in their game, lol.

If PC gaming is dead, then console gaming is, too. Quite literally the entire Xbox library of exclusives are available on PC. In 95% of cases (with only a couple exceptions), the PC version is superior, too. At least if you have the hardware. There's even Gamepass with bundled EA Pass. Sony still has some strong exclusives, but even they're starting to port their titles to PC. Most of what's on both consoles = multiplatform and on the PC to begin with though. Cheating and hacking is a thing no matter what platform you're playing on. Nintendo is still doing their thing, but this point their stuff is more like really good mobile games vs. the other consoles.

If PC gaming is dead, then console gaming is, too. Quite literally the entire Xbox library of exclusives are available on PC. In 95% of cases (with only a couple exceptions), the PC version is superior, too. At least if you have the hardware. There's even Gamepass with bundled EA Pass. Sony still has some strong exclusives, but even they're starting to port their titles to PC. Most of what's on both consoles = multiplatform and on the PC to begin with though. Cheating and hacking is a thing no matter what platform you're playing on. Nintendo is still doing their thing, but this point their stuff is more like really good mobile games vs. the other consoles.
Well, the PC shooter market is dead. Especially after Battlefield committed the classic go woke go broke suicide. Maybe something will fill the market gap in the years to come, but as of now consoles are optimal choice for simple classic shooters.

3 of the top 5 games currently on steam are first person shooters
Well, the PC shooter market is dead. Especially after Battlefield committed the classic go woke go broke suicide. Maybe something will fill the market gap in the years to come, but as of now consoles are optimal choice for simple classic shooters.

1651586435158.png

I'm tempted to jump on a very lightly used MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X 8Gb near me. It has less vram than my GTX 1080 Ti but that card is struggling with my 1440p 240Hz monitor. Since this monitor is new I won't be upgrading it for quite some time so I'm thinking the 3070 Ti could last me until 5xxx...

3 of the top 5 games currently on steam are first person shooters

View attachment 469891
Yeah, released like 10 years ago...

I'd actually play CS if it was something like CS:S was, but of course it's full of the usual pink rabbit hats everywhere with the "cool customizing".

R6: Siege really hit the spot around 2015-2016, but then the pink rabbit hats crawled into Siege as well, lol. And it's even worse, since it's being used as a plaftorm to push the woke agenda full throttle.

These don't do the trick, they require too much from fellow players, so most of the time you are just wandering around in silence with nobody communicating in your squad. Take a few potshots after 15 minutes of silence, nothing, and then quit in boredom.

Something like Ready or Not would do the trick, but they are unable to produce a simple 1-life objective game mode without respawn. They tested MP with their respawn-arena-shooter mode and then decided multiplayer cannot be made in their game, lol.

My experience has been the opposite. It depends on the server you're playing on. In any case, it's not as if consoles have any FPS options that are a whole lot different than PC, considering most of them are ported to either medium one way or another. You can play whatever you want, I just don't understand that justification since I don't see a whole lot of difference there, notwithstanding that there's less cheating on consoles from what I understand which may be enough of a reason to play there depending on what you're trying to do.

Because Battlefield wasn't released on console? I don't get what you're getting at here. As Domingo said, typically all major releases are available on all major platforms, so I don't see how a console has an advantage over the PC here. Besides, playing FPS on a gamepad is a terrible experience. There are plenty of genres that lend themselves well to gamepads, but FPS is not among them.

Because Battlefield wasn't released on console? I don't get what you're getting at here. As Domingo said, typically all major releases are available on all major platforms, so I don't see how a console has an advantage over the PC here. Besides, playing FPS on a gamepad is a terrible experience. There are plenty of genres that lend themselves well to gamepads, but FPS is not among them.
Battlefield is literally dead now after the 2042 release and likely won't have any more releases in the series. Even the highly criticized BF5 has more players online.

If you read above what I said about the MW: Remastered example, consoles have a clear advantage since the they just ported and released it without testing on PC, with all the console parameters visibly left in the game code. There are no players online to play with because it's unplayable on PC, while the console ones are flourishing.

I'd actually play CS if it was something like CS:S was, but of course it's full of the usual pink rabbit hats everywhere with the "cool customizing".

R6: Siege really hit the spot around 2015-2016, but then the pink rabbit hats crawled into Siege as well, lol. And it's even worse, since it's being used as a plaftorm to push the woke agenda full throttle.
Have you tried Squad or their WWII game? Has vehicles, large maps, etc. without being as OCD as Arma about milsim accuracy.

Back on the GPU topic, I don't think now is necessarily a bad time to buy if you really need a card since you can find cards at MSRP, but if you can wait things out that probably won't hurt either. I'm not optimistic about the ETH move to proof of stake so I don't expect them to kill off GPU mining anytime soon (surprise, it was just delayed again), but next gen cards don't seem like they'll be all that much better at mining than current gen cards, and even if they are much better for mining, I think we'll be in a similar situation as today, where people will expect proof of stake to be on the horizon and will be initially hesitant to dump a bunch of money into mining rigs because of proof of stake fears.

Battlefield is literally dead now after the 2042 release and likely won't have any more releases in the series. Even the highly criticized BF5 has more players online.

If you read above what I said about the MW: Remastered example, consoles have a clear advantage since the they just ported and released it without testing on PC, with all the console parameters visibly left in the game code. There are no players online to play with because it's unplayable on PC, while the console ones are flourishing.

Battlefield 2042 was also released on console.

Your example of one game based on your own personal experiences doesn't prove that FPS gaming on PCs is dead. The data says you're wrong, sorry.

On the GPU mining subject. With POS coming at some point we will see mining drop off on a gpu level. As you can see more and more mining rigs are for sale as long as mined cards. There is a good bit of miners dropping out before the mining crash. Rypto crash no but mining crash yes. If you don't think it's on a decline just look around that gpus are still in stock and the used market is getting flooded. Yes I can say flooded because they can be found easy. Even used gpu prices are dropping. Yes it's the time to buy if you want a upgrade. Yes I feel prices will go down more but why worry about saving a few hundred bucks on a high end gpu while waiting.

1651611406547.png

5 of the top 10 games (at least today) are shooters. They're still a massive genre, if not the biggest genre still for PC.

I'm kind of torn... I've been pretty happy with my 3070Ti but I always want more lol. I'm vaguely planning on having a modest GPU fund by the end of summer so that if there's dumping of used cards between announcement and launch of the new ones (as often happens) I can get something high-end for cheap.

But at the same time, neither a 3080Ti/3090 nor 6900XT is really the card I want; 6900XT lacking DLSS and good RT performance, 3080Ti having a bit less memory than I'd like, and of course the massive power consumption of the GA102 cards especially the 3090 when overclocked.

So I guess what I actually want is a next-gen x70Ti/XT card but who TF knows what pricing and availability will be like and if i have to wait too long I'll eventually end up doing what I did this time around and get tired of waiting and overpay.

Option 3 is to keep modding the 3070Ti until late 2023 and get a PS5 so my roommate and I can play Vanguard with our neighbor... which is probably actually the smart choice all things considered.

I'm kind of torn... I've been pretty happy with my 3070Ti but I always want more lol. I'm vaguely planning on having a modest GPU fund by the end of summer so that if there's dumping of used cards between announcement and launch of the new ones (as often happens) I can get something high-end for cheap.

But at the same time, neither a 3080Ti/3090 nor 6900XT is really the card I want; 6900XT lacking DLSS and good RT performance, 3080Ti having a bit less memory than I'd like, and of course the massive power consumption of the GA102 cards especially the 3090 when overclocked.

So I guess what I actually want is a next-gen x70Ti/XT card but who TF knows what pricing and availability will be like and if i have to wait too long I'll eventually end up doing what I did this time around and get tired of waiting and overpay.

Option 3 is to keep modding the 3070Ti until late 2023 and get a PS5 so my roommate and I can play Vanguard with our neighbor... which is probably actually the smart choice all things considered.
Do option 3, then option 2 ;)

I'm not sure how this turned into a PC gaming vs console debate... but imo console gaming is basically only as good as the exclusives on said console. If there are no exclusives I care about, I always opt for PC. The only platform where I can emulate older consoles, play Thief 1, and then also play Cyberpunk 2077, all the while having phone emulators running for crappy mobile games, and all the while hosting virtual machines that host Minecraft servers for friends, running heavily modded instances.

I more or less regret getting a PS4, I've played very, very few games on it. Basically just Persona 5. Surprisingly many of the JRPGs that I'm into have been coming to PC lately, too. Not the best of ports, but we have Ryza, even. I think the only console that's worth it out of this generation is the Switch. What it does for me can't really be replaced by PC, and it's just a great thing to take over to friends' houses. Plus Nintendo exclusives are pretty decent and tend to not come to PC.

Anyway... So my local Microcenter randomly dropped the price of the 3080 Ti open boxes that I was looking at, down to $910. That's basically the price of a 3080. Considering that iirc they tend to benchmark pretty close to a 3090, I couldn't really resist at least reserving one.

1651635932941.png

I'm not sure whether I'll actually pick it up (it's just a 1$ on the card that comes back off if I don't make good on it)... it is a bit impulsive, but I have to admit the price tag is quite tempting for a GPU that should last me for quite a few years, and it's well below even the MSRP. Only points of contention:
1. Will my Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold handle my 5950x with this thing in it?
2. This better have warranty, and it better not have been returned after some miner used the crap out of it for 25-30 days. But hey if it doesn't I can just return it.

Last edited:

Seems like you haven't played CSGO much. Valve is doing great with the map and mechanic balancing.

Sorry skins are expensive. You don't have to buy them.

1. Will my Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold handle my 5950x with this thing in it?
Any opinions on this? I think I will go pick it up later today, because as soon as I made that reservation the other two cards got literally instantly gobbled up, and I've checked and this is lower than even Ebay bid prices...

It should be fine just looking at TDP, but some redditors keep talking about "power spikes".

Last edited:
Any opinions on this? I think I will go pick it up later today, because as soon as I made that reservation the other two cards got literally instantly gobbled up, and I've checked and this is lower than even Ebay bid prices...

It should be fine just looking at TDP, but some redditors keep talking about "power spikes".
I'm pretty sure that Hardware Unboxed uses a 5950X test bench for all of their video card testing. Their 3080 Ti review results should be comparable to your setup I would think.

I'm pretty sure that Hardware Unboxed uses a 5950X test bench for all of their video card testing. Their 3080 Ti review results should be comparable to your setup I would think.
Do they list the PSU? Because that was my main concern... I watched the video with subtitles (in the office right now), but I didn't see them mentioning PSU of the test rig.

I haven't been able to play any current games for a while - mostly time constraints. My current GPU is so old, it just won't cut it had I tried. Today's current gen was just what I was waiting for but yall know how that worked out. For now, my current thought is to snag something used this summer to run for the next year or so, then try a fresh upgrade to whatever is new / coming out late 2023

Oh I see now, they have a timestamp where they compare total wattage between each GPU on their system and you're saying since I have the same CPU, it should be equivalent...

That being said, if their consumption was only 500ish watts at absolute maximum, people could run 3090 + 5950x on a 600-650 watt PSU, but due to people mentioning instantaneous spikes, no one does... that's the main thing I'm worried about, don't want my system to just randomly shut off I guess...

Oh I see now, they have a timestamp where they compare total wattage between each GPU on their system and you're saying since I have the same CPU, it should be equivalent...

That being said, if their consumption was only 500ish watts at absolute maximum, people could run 3090 + 5950x on a 600-650 watt PSU, but due to people mentioning instantaneous spikes, no one does... that's the main thing I'm worried about, don't want my system to just randomly shut off I guess...
You should be golden. There were some random issues with 3080/3090s tripping ocp with 750w to 1000w PSUs when they first came out but most of the big PSU manufacturers have addressed the issue. Seasonic specifically has made sure ocp doesn't get triggered with their 2020+ units. You made a solid choice ;)

On newegg's specs page for that card, it shows:

750 Watt or greater power supply.
PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0, PCI Express 3.0 or PCI Express 4.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
Three available 8-pin or 6+2-pin PCIe power dongles.
So your Seasonic 850w should handle the draw from it and the 5950x. Seasonics are solid performers.

You should be golden. There were some random issues with 3080/3090s tripping ocp with 750w to 1000w PSUs when they first came out but most of the big PSU manufacturers have addressed the issue. Seasonic specifically has made sure ocp doesn't get triggered with their 2020+ units. You made a solid choice ;)

This isn't a 2020+ unit, though. This PSU is likely from 2018 or so.

On newegg's specs page for that card, it shows:

750 Watt or greater power supply.
PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0, PCI Express 3.0 or PCI Express 4.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
Three available 8-pin or 6+2-pin PCIe power dongles.
So your Seasonic 850w should handle the draw from it and the 5950x. Seasonics are solid performers.

Thanks I hope so.

This isn't a 2020+ unit, though. This PSU is likely from 2018 or so.

Thanks I hope so.
I wouldn't worry to much about it. There weren't very many Seasonic units that had issues. On the off chance that you do have a problem, Seasonic won't give you a hard time with replacing or repairing it.

I checked the Tom's Hardware review on that unit from back when it launched, and it looks like Overcurrent Protection doesn't trip until around 137% or about 1170W (edit: 137% total power or 134% on the 12V rail) which is quite high for an older 850W unit and is in-line with modern PSUs that are explicitly recommended for GA102 GPUs. Voltage ripple didn't look that bad either so as long as yr 12V output caps have held up you should be good.

Thanks, I just picked up my card. Christ this thing is massive, this has got to be like a 3 slot heatsink... time to hope I kept that second PCIE connector around...

For 960 with tax, this was a pretty good deal I reckon, just need to check the warranty status and stuff. But I did check when the last user had it. They bought it on like April 15th and returned it on the 23rd of this year. So it's a pretty new card and they didn't have it long.

1651724132453.png

Benchmarked just fine.

1651724168596.png

Ran Red Dead Redemption 2 with everything maxed... no hiccups for hours. Card is absolutely silent, and the temperature never once hit 80C.

1651724629893.png

Also registered on EVGA web site with no issues.

Overall for $910 I'm very happy... now I just wish it would stop maxing out my UPS unit...

I'm tempted to jump on a very lightly used MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X 8Gb near me. It has less vram than my GTX 1080 Ti but that card is struggling with my 1440p 240Hz monitor. Since this monitor is new I won't be upgrading it for quite some time so I'm thinking the 3070 Ti could last me until 5xxx...
So I got a better deal. It's a Founders Edition 3070 Ti, but I paid the original MRSP (here in Europe that is €649, which is US$684), new and sealed in the box. Cheapest store bought 3070 Ti (granted AIB so quieter coolers) here are €799 or $842. Selling my 1080 Ti means I only have to give out like $300. :cool:

Last edited:

My Internet must be different than yours. 90% of what I play are shooters and 100% of it is on PC. Seems like you’re limiting yourself to one game that wasnt popular on PC. If you pigeonhole an entire genre to a single game that wasnt even new, but a reboot, I suppose it could seem like PC gaming is dead.

View attachment 470549
Benchmarked just fine.

View attachment 470550

Ran Red Dead Redemption 2 with everything maxed... no hiccups for hours. Card is absolutely silent, and the temperature never once hit 80C.

View attachment 470552

Also registered on EVGA web site with no issues.

Overall for $910 I'm very happy... now I just wish it would stop maxing out my UPS unit...
Seems like your PSU was fine for 5950x + RTX 3080Ti. Then again I used a 875W PSU from 2014 on my 10980XE + RTX 3090 and it was fine. I upgraded to a EVGA 1200 P+ but the 875W is still used in another build.

Did you end up selling 2080?

Seems like your PSU was fine for 5950x + RTX 3080Ti. Then again I used a 875W PSU from 2014 on my 10980XE + RTX 3090 and it was fine. I upgraded to a EVGA 1200 P+ but the 875W is still used in another build.

Did you end up selling 2080?

I haven't had any hiccups at all with this Seasonic 850W with my 5950x and 3080Ti. I didn't sell my 2080, it just went into my bedroom computer, so I could in exchange take that bedroom computer's 1080 and put it in my exercise computer.

I don't generally sell my GPU's. I just hand them down to friends to borrow, or put them in other computers.

I think personal factors are always most important in these decisions. Ignoring the special circumstances of the last couple years - it's generally always better to wait if you're able to. I know for a fact that if I didn't purchase a 3090 when those launched, I'd be crawling up the wall for a GPU right now. People act like when you make a purchasing decision, you're "locked in". But that's never really the case. Worst case scenario is that you buy something early and the value drops significantly. But so what? You sell it off a year later for hundreds less and you've essentially rented a GPU for cheap. Regularly flipping parts is what enabled me to always stay high end, on multiple gaming PC's mind you, without completely breaking the bank.

Wait, so one genre (shooters) is not to your liking on PC and that translates to "the PC market is dead"? Yeah ok....

I think personal factors are always most important in these decisions. Ignoring the special circumstances of the last couple years - it's generally always better to wait if you're able to. I know for a fact that if I didn't purchase a 3090 when those launched, I'd be crawling up the wall for a GPU right now. People act like when you make a purchasing decision, you're "locked in". But that's never really the case. Worst case scenario is that you buy something early and the value drops significantly. But so what? You sell it off a year later for hundreds less and you've essentially rented a GPU for cheap. Regularly flipping parts is what enabled me to always stay high end, on multiple gaming PC's mind you, without completely breaking the bank.

Same, I do this pretty regularly, too. I usually sell my current gear prior to buying something new (I even sold my 2080 Ti with the assumption I'd pull a launch 3090), but I probably won't chance that this year. I've been able to sell most video cards on my local Craigslist in 24-48 hours. That's with people driving to me and usually watching a quick demo to make sure they aren't getting a lemon, too. If I held out for a really high resale value, I bet I could still move things in a week or less. The PC DIY community (and AV community, too) = surprisingly active on Craigslist in my area.

Back