Upgrade or not from a Q6600?

My old main rig that contained my 8800GTX was retired to HTPC duty and its still rocking in there. I've had it since launch and up until a few months ago it was on 24/7. :) Very happy with that video card purchase.

Horrible card to use for a HTPC tbh. Too power hungry, too hot, has power where you don't need it and lacks featuers that you do to make for a decent HTPC card. Something like a HD 5450 would be a much better fit. 8-12 watts at full tilt, passively cooled, HDMI and all the hardware acceleration you need for proper HTPC duty.

...and that's a horrible route to go. The 9550 is not at all competitive compared even with a modern dual core, nevermind something like a 2500K which would be about the same price, maybe $50 more. The GTX 680 is being bottlenecked beyond belief in that system to the point it might as well be a GTX 480 or worse. Far worse. The SSD is the only thing in that list that makes any sense at all.

To the OP: If you are not "hurting" with the CPU at stock (and have you tried returning to the OC? Maybe your CMOS battery is just on the way out) I'd hold out for the next Intel socket in 6-8 months. If it's no longer doing what you want, pick up a cheap Z77 board (I recommend Biostar, they offer amazing bang for the buck) and 8-16GB of RAM with a 2500K (ideally used to save some cash) or one of the current Ivy Bridge quads.

You are fucking kidding me right? I'm sorry but a c2q at 4+ghz is not bottle-necking shit. Yes i realize the i5/i7 arch is faf but give me a break.

You are fucking kidding me right? I'm sorry but a c2q at 4+ghz is not bottle-necking shit. Yes i realize the i5/i7 arch is faf but give me a break.

That does not matter in this thread.

The OP has bought a new system.

Any money invested in socket 775 quads now is a waste of money, unless you are set on staying with that socket.
A socket 775 quad is a horrible buy from a price/perf standpoint when it is compared to what you get buying a current generation quad.

There are limited overclocking options for the 3820 (4 turbo bins and BCLK overclocking) but it's not as easy as with unlocked CPUs. Forget about socket 2011 unless you are getting a 6-core CPU and/or running 3-4 video cards at once (although I'd argue Z77 is fine for 3-way with PCI-e 3.0).

What do you mean when you say server? Just sharing files on your local LAN, or actually processing transactions in a db, VMware etc?

As for GPU, I would not expect price drops on the 670/680/7970/7950 until at least fall, possibly January for the next high-end GPU launch.

I upgraded from a Q6700 3.3GHz, 4GB DDR2, GTX 560Ti to a 3770K 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3 and the improvement was significant in gaming (even with the 560Ti), especially in minimum frame rates/overall smoothness of demanding games like BF3. When I put in a GTX 670 it obviously blew away the old system. That said, I was still getting satisfactory gaming experience out of my Q6700/560Ti in pretty much all games except BF3 and The Witcher 2 (as well I had to turn down AA in some racing games to maintain 60fps).

I think that the locked nature of the 3820 is way overplayed. the 125 strap works great and i have had my 3820 at 5.2Ghz easily. One of the easiest overclocks i have ever had.
If you have a need for 64Gb ram, its a great option compared to socket 1155.

I think that the locked nature of the 3820 is way overplayed. the 125 strap works great and i have had my 3820 at 5.2Ghz easily. One of the easiest overclocks i have ever had.
If you have a need for 64Gb ram, its a great option compared to socket 1155.

This. Back in the day, all we had was base clock overclocking, and it still worked...

Back