Upgrade or New System? (Old system: X2 3800+,2gb,7900gs)

G66

Limp Gawd
I reached the point where I think I need an upgrade. I have about £200 budget (not much lol)

My current computer:

X2 3800+ SktAM2 (~2.4ghz,)
2GB RAM (PC6400 ~840mhz) (Nothing wrong there)
EVGA 7900GS Superclocked (~550mhz core, 740mhz memory)
NZXT Apollo (CPU@37 idle, gpu@43 idle, stock cooling)

I checked my mobo's webpage, I can't upgrade to a phenom!

What do you think is the best option for me?

I've been looking at the HD4850, then I noticed that the 9800GTX+ is coming out soon. So now I've know idea what card to get and my current rig blows (lol). My other major problem of course is my CPU, which would really bottleneck any new GPU.

So should I just upgrade my current system or buy a new mobo?

Upgrade. The current Phenom CPU really aren't that great to warrant a mobo upgrade. The X2 6000+ can be found for £72 Inc VAT. The X2 6000+ should be fast enough for most games out there. Though it might cut into your budget for the HD4850. If that does happen, pick up the X2 5600+ or X2 5000+

However have you tried overclocking that X2 3800+?

Also, what PSU do you have?

Thanks for your help,

My next problem is the PSU, I need a cheap reliable replacement (the hardest ones to find eh ;))

I have an NZXT PF-400 (400w), its nice and reliable but only 20amps on the +12v rail. That may need upgrading if I'm to get an HD4850 (I heard that needs 30amps on the +12 rail :(, I'm not sure)

I'm using stock cooling on my x2 3800+ so I have only overclocked to about 3.2ghz, I may push that higher as I've heard of people reaching 2.8ghz on air, I doubt thats stock cooling though. I would prefer to not overclock exccesively as the 4850 is going to be hot enough :cool:

How cheap can you get the HD4850 over there in the UK?

I can get one for £120, which is an awesome deal IMO...

Good! Then you need to get a new PSU then. Any Corsair made PSU will work just fine with your system. I think I saw the Corsair 550VX for £55 at scan.co.uk the other day.

All this talk in pounds is making me dizzy......You answered your own question. Upgrade or buy a new system. Doesn't seem like you have enough cash for a new system so upgrade it is. Personally I get the X2 +6000 like it was said above and give it a little juice and then get a HD 3870 for a bit. That'll get you playing for awhile. Nothing wrong with the 3870 and I'm waiting until all the cooling and driver issues are tweaked with the 4xxx series before I buy. Is that 7900 worth anything on Ebay?

Rant on/ Crysis has just about f^^^^ everyone up when building a machine. I need to run Crysis. Can I max out Crysis. I need to scream..........

Corsair 550 + X2 6000 + HD 3870 = enjoy

Corsair 550 + X2 6000 + HD 3870 = enjoy

Replace the HD3870 with the HD4850 and I'll agree. (Consider the HD4870 instead if you are using a 24 inch or larger monitor.)

(But since it's the same thing that Danny mentioned earlier, listen to him.)

HD3870? I don't think so.

I need to play crysis at 1440x900 (basically widescreen 1280x1024), with most details on.

I play Crysis at every thing on High except Shaders, Shadows and Textures set to medium and get around 15-20 fps. So a HD4850 will hopefully make it more playable :) what do you think?

At the moment, I'm thinking:

(£69.95)AMD Athlon 6000+ (http://www.e-computerbits.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1872

PSU if current one is doesn't provide enough:

The cheap option:

(£12.50) http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5855&source=googleps

The PSU is the hardest choice, I'm just not sure if a cheap one will be enough and reliability is always an issue with PSU's.

Finally the GPU:

(£123) Sapphire HD4850 http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?reviewcart=go+to+cart

Total Price for new CPU and GPU: ~£193 inc Vat (~$386)

*All prices inc VAT

Hopefully the heat won't destroy my PC :)

If anyone can see any faults in my choices please let me know, thanks a lot for every ones help :)

HD3870? I don't think so.

I need to play crysis at 1440x900 (basically widescreen 1280x1024), with most details on.

I play Crysis at every thing on High except Shaders, Shadows and Textures set to medium and get around 15-20 fps. So a HD4850 will hopefully make it more playable :) what do you think?

At the moment, I'm thinking:

(£69.95)AMD Athlon 6000+ (http://www.e-computerbits.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1872

PSU if current one is doesn't provide enough:

The cheap option:

(£12.50) http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5855&source=googleps

The PSU is the hardest choice, I'm just not sure if a cheap one will be enough and reliability is always an issue with PSU's.

Finally the GPU:

(£123) Sapphire HD4850 http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?reviewcart=go+to+cart

Total Price for new CPU and GPU: ~£193 inc Vat (~$386)

*All prices inc VAT

Hopefully the heat won't destroy my PC :)

If anyone can see any faults in my choices please let me know, thanks a lot for every ones help :)

Your links are wonky... the items you're mentioning aren't showing up.

With power supplies, you generally get what you pay for them. The more expensive types use more quality parts, have more power or energy efficiency features, and/or offer modular cables or SLI/CrossFire support. In that case, the Corsair line represents some of the best power supplies in the market today. The Corsair VX450 offers 33A on its 12V rail... it may be cutting it close (for the HD4850), but it's about the same amount of power that cheap 500W PSUs often provide.

The biggest fault in your choices is the PSU. That's a generic no-name brand PSU, something I would not trust in any system. Don't bother with cheap PSUs. Waste of money.

Your current CPU is enough. So don't bother with the X2 6000+. That frees up money for a better PSU:
Corsair 550VX 550W PSU - £51.65 Inc VAT

I've overclocked my X2 3800+ to 2.2Ghz now (38 idle, 55 load) this cpu is overclocking extremely well, I may push it further.

So I should try and get a quality PSU and the HD4850? If my CPU is bottle necking then I always upgrade later I suppose.

I think thats what I will do then.

My only problem now is choosing whether to wait for a 9800GTX+ or go for a HD4850, I am interested in PhysX and would hate to miss out on that. I did hear rumours that ATI had there own hardware physics planned with Havok, and that some one had already got PhysX working on 4000 series ATI cards...

So I should try and get a quality PSU and the HD4850?

Definitely.

Don't worry too much about hardware physics. It's gonna be a while before games start supporting that.

Just ordered a Corsair TX650 (650watt) PSU, only cost me £56! That should more than do the trick in the PSU department.

Only thing left for me to decide is the GPU. I know that GPU physics is not supported by any game at the moment and it all seams a long way off, but I wan't my GPU to be as future proof as possible.

I suppose that if I don't know (or any one else) what the state of GPU physics will be in a couple of years, then I can't make an accurate decision.

All of the HD 4870 cards are up at £160-170, and the HD 4850's are cheaper and they also beat the 9800GTX+ and are not far off the GTX 260 cards... tell me if any of this is wrong will you :)... then HD 4850 seams the logical choice. Its just that I will be really pissed if I buy a HD4850 and then nvidia reduces GTX 260 prices to affordable levels or something. Does any one know anything about when the (Hopefully) inevitable nvidia price drops will be.

I don't know if any (video card) price drops are coming -- they're not announced as far in advance as processors -- but forget about the future. If you need something now, get it now.

Unless you have a 24 inch or larger monitor, the HD 4850 would be a good choice.

I don't know if any (video card) price drops are coming -- they're not announced as far in advance as processors -- but forget about the future. If you need something now, get it now.

Unless you have a 24 inch or larger monitor, the HD 4850 would be a good choice.

"forget about the future"??? This upgrade has to last me a while :(

I game on a 19inch Wide screen LCD (1440x900 res), so I'm sure my FPS would be ok with Crysis on High settings with no AA...

Define "a while."

Don't focus a build on the far future, or for a game that has yet to come out. Technology changes so fast that future proofing a PC isn't really possible the further into the future you go. Spending more now for future performance has a point of diminishing return, and spending more now so you don't have to upgrade later is a bad idea (since we all know useful/current computer parts just get cheaper over time). Intel's CPU architecture is on a 2yr tick-tock cycle. NVIDIA and ATI have a GPU refresh every 6 months. With tech changing that fast, you're better off doing midrange upgrades every so often, IMO.

Keep in mind, the GPU is the fastest depreciating component in a gaming PC. A card from 3yrs ago struggles to keep up with new/current games. So, its best to sell the old card and buy a new one every 2-3yrs.

VX550 and a 4850 and you are set. The X2 3800+ is a pretty good overclocker, so it is fine for your current system, and should last you a while yet.

Ok heres how I'm set up now:

CPU:

CPU.jpg

RAM:

RAM.jpg

and when I get an HD 4850 or HD 4870... :cool:

Back