Upgrade Office Macs to Lion

vage

2[H]4U
OK, so I am doing some tech support work for an office with all Macs, and they want to update to Lion. They are all running Snow Leopard, and are all capable of running Lion. The server is running Snow Leopard Server. I see that if you buy Lion once, I can use it on all the machines in the office correct? Does this work for the server as well? As in, if I update the server to Lion first, can I use that same installation for all the workstations? Or do I need at least 2 installs, one for the server, and one for all the workstations?

You really are supposed to buy a copy of Lion for each computer (or at least for each person, so if someone has a laptop and a desktop).

The reason Apple is so awesome w/r/t DRM and the like is the honor system works.

So don't be dishonorable!

Buy Lion Server for the Server, and Lion for each desktop. It's only $30/per for pete's sake!

You really are supposed to buy a copy of Lion for each computer (or at least for each person, so if someone has a laptop and a desktop).

The reason Apple is so awesome w/r/t DRM and the like is the honor system works.

So don't be dishonorable!

Buy Lion Server for the Server, and Lion for each desktop. It's only $30/per for pete's sake!

Well, more accurately for end users, it's one purchase of Lion for each Apple ID, with a 5 computer install limit (potentially unenforced).

For corporate customers, it's a bit different:

Apple will rely on the Mac App Store to deliver Lion to volume license customers, but will let them download the upgrade just once, then run the installer on each Mac.

Businesses can purchase a minimum of 20 licenses for Lion at $29.99 each -- the same price consumers will pay when Apple launches the operating system in July -- while educational institutions can buy what's called the "Mac Software Collection" for $39 per license, with a minimum order of 25 licenses.

…

To deploy Lion across multiple Macs, administrators will use the single redemption code Apple provides to download the operating system from the Mac App Store. The resulting installer can be copied to each Mac, then run to complete the upgrade.

Alternately, organizations can use the System Image Utility packaged with Lion Server to build NetInstall or NetRestore images for mass deployment over the network.

So the real question is why do they want Lion? If it's just for the sake of wanting the newest thing I think they're crazy. But then again I guess it's not really your call huh? With SL being so stable and mature I can't see why they would update an entire office. Sorry that was off topic. But hey maybe it will all go wrong and you will get to come back to reinstall SL and you'll get more money :)

Well, they may not want to upgrade now. They were under the impression (from their previous IT guy) that it was a one time $29.99 fee to upgrade everything. I do see here apple talks about that some what, but thought it was ridiculous to actually offer something like, I see now the technicalities.

Honestly, Lion is not ready. I was all excited about Lion at first and it is running on my 2011 Mac Mini, but after a few weeks with it, I would say stick with Snow Leopard until a few point releases roll out. If Snow Leopard was completely functional on my 2011 Mini, I would have already reverted it to that. I am glad that I was slow in upgrading my 2011 MBP as I will now be keeping Snow Leopard on it until I am happy with Lion.

There are already a few things on Lion that are biting me in the ass, namely the transition away from Samba and the removal of FTP as a service in the sharing panel. Not that it is not something I can't fix, that is easy enough to do. It is just time consuming for me(I am in Afghanistan on a 512k Satellite Connection. Downloading the 3.17GB Xcode just so I can compile Samba is going to take a few days).

Back