Upgrade my PSU for 3x 670's?

Krazypoloc

Gawd
I've got another 670 coming in on Monday along with a 3570K...and it occurred to me only today that my little Corsair TX750 is not going to cut it. Now I'm only going to be running 3 cards for now, but I want to have the capacity to run 4. Now would I be able to get away with running the TX750 with 3 670's? Or do I need to upgrade right away?

When I do upgrade what PSU would you guys recommend? I'm new to the 1k+ PSU arena.

This FSP looks nice and I have had good experience with them in the past.

You actually could probably get away with that 750w

Yeah I am tempted to try it...my plan was to run the 2 cards when I get my new motherboard/CPU......clock the CPU...bench/burn and then add the 3rd card and see if I have issues.

I would probably go to a 1000 or 1050W PSU. I like overkill but with my luck it somehow wouldn't work for me if I tried it with a 750W PSU.

Try some of the online PSU calculators and see what they add up with the overclock and the extra cards.

I'm not sure yet. The 3rd card newegg sent me was bad. I RMA'd it and should get the new card this week.

If you overclock your 750W might not cut it, but without overclocking you should be fine.

Everything is working fine so far with the 750w. I'm overclocked on both CPU and GPU's. Very moderate on the GPU's though due to thermal restrictions.

If you overclock your 750W might not cut it, but without overclocking you should be fine.

BS. Guru3D peaked to 583W on a heavily OC'ed i7 965 XE machine with CCFL lightning and watercooling. And that's on an unrealistic app that loads ALL GPU's up to %100.

A PSU rated for continous output will power it for the operational lifetime of the unit.

With that kind of setup, EVEN with a CPU + GPU OC, you're looking around 500-600W of continous power usage.

Yeah everything seems to be running perfectly - other than Driver issues and the normal BS we go through with multiGPU systems.

I did have to add a 240mm fan on the side of my GPU's to blow air on them. They don't seem to suck air in very well on their own due to the design of the reference cooler combined with the heat shield on top of each card. There is almost no clearance between the cards so I have no idea how any air gets in there at all.

I've got another 670 coming in on Monday along with a 3570K...and it occurred to me only today that my little Corsair TX750 is not going to cut it. Now I'm only going to be running 3 cards for now, but I want to have the capacity to run 4. Now would I be able to get away with running the TX750 with 3 670's? Or do I need to upgrade right away?

When I do upgrade what PSU would you guys recommend? I'm new to the 1k+ PSU arena.

This FSP looks nice and I have had good experience with them in the past.

why do you need 3 video cards??? are you running multiple monitors?? if not your wasting money on all those video cards.

lol just looked at your sig, 3 cards would be plenty, if it were me I would bump up to 850 psu

corsairs HX series is good, the tx v2's are also good and seasonics

the impotant thing to know is how many amps 2/3/4 of those video cards will pull off the 12v rail and preferably a power supply with a SINGLE 12v rail.

Back