Upgrade monitor or use 4K TV for new gaming PC?

EhronW

n00b
I am in the process of building a new gaming PC with an i9 9900k and 2080 ti. I currently have a 27" Asus 1080p IPS monitor, and a pretty cheap 43" Vizio 4k TV mounted on the wall about 3 feet away that is hooked up to my PS4 Pro. Now that my PC will have some serious 4K gaming power I am looking for recommendations on the best display to use with it. I don't know if PC gaming would be better on the 4k Vizio, or if I should invest in some type of gaming monitor. I like the size of the Vizio at this viewing distance much better than the 27", but I don't know how the other monitor features such as 144hz, G-Sync, etc. stack up against 4K resolution, HDR, and larger screens. I would definitely still use an actual monitor as my main display, and only use the TV as a secondary display for gaming if I went that route. I would also be willing to purchase a new/different 4k TV if that would be my best bet, but the size would probably need to be under 50" or so because the TV is so close. Is there a generally accepted consensus as to what looks/plays better? Thanks.

I play single player almost exclusively. Some of the games I have been playing are Borderlands 3, Jedi Fallen Order, Shadow of The Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, AC: Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption 2, and the Batman Arkham games.

Then I would say you don't need more than 60hz. Get a decent 4k/32 inch IPS with freesync and be done with it. Acer XB321HK fits the bill.. (No HDR though - does that matter to you?)

I would definitely prefer HDR, coming from my experience watching HDR movies mostly. The Vizio I have isn't great at HDR, but my 77" OLED is :geek: Unfortunately, the wife and kids don't let me game on that one much. Will the 60hz vs 144hz or a 120hz TV not be noticeable in high end gaming with high frame rates? What is the advantage of doing a 32" monitor over a 43"-50" 4K TV? Thanks!

One other consideration is I am definitely buying a new TV because the current Vizio was robbed out of my travel trailer until camping season comes back around, so I will definitely be buying another TV either way.

Pushing 4K to 120/144hz is not easy nor guaranteed, even with a 2080ti.

A 32 inch monitor will have higher pixel density than a bigger TV, whether this matters depends on how close you are to the monitor.

A lot of gaming monitors are 1440p so they are easier to drive than 4K screens.

I find that 32 inches is the right size for me/my eyes, any bigger would be too much at my viewing distance.

I sit at normal desk distance from the monitor, and I just turn 90 degrees in my chair to be facing the TV which hangs about 3 feet from me which is about twice as far as the monitor. I feel like 4K in a monitor might be important because I like to multitask, and sometimes will watch movies or tv while I am gaming. I guess it comes down to whether I watch 4K movies on the TV while playing games on the monitor, or vice versa? The immersion is definitely much better playing on the TV over the 27" monitor currently, but I want to maximize the impact my new PC can have.

I would definitely prefer HDR, coming from my experience watching HDR movies mostly. The Vizio I have isn't great at HDR, but my 77" OLED is :geek: Unfortunately, the wife and kids don't let me game on that one much. Will the 60hz vs 144hz or a 120hz TV not be noticeable in high end gaming with high frame rates? What is the advantage of doing a 32" monitor over a 43"-50" 4K TV? Thanks!

Most "120Hz" TVs are not 120Hz inputs. They use things like backlight scanning to remove motion blur, but they won't actually display more than 60 updated images per second to the monitor. It's a cleaner 60, but it's not as good as real 100+ Hz displays in how smooth animation transitions appear, simply because there isn't that much actual display data there.

Most "120Hz" TVs are not 120Hz inputs. They use things like backlight scanning to remove motion blur, but they won't actually display more than 60 updated images per second to the monitor. It's a cleaner 60, but it's not as good as real 100+ Hz displays in how smooth animation transitions appear, simply because there isn't that much actual display data there.
I fear you dont understand the topic.
At UHD res current 120Hz TVs use interpolation to display 120Hz from a 60Hz input.
Also, my UHD TV at 1440p res takes a direct input from my PC at 120Hz, it looks fine, no interpolation and it is true 120Hz.

The Acer x27 is probably the ultimate screen for you unless you want bigger than 27 inch.

Personally, as mentioned, I prefer 32 inch but getting the features in that you’re asking for is really tricky in that form factor.

I have the monitors in my sig, and I am happy.

Don't be fooled by things that say Freesync doesn't work with Nvidia, it does.

Last edited:
I fear you dont understand the topic.
At UHD res current 120Hz TVs use interpolation to display 120Hz from a 60Hz input.
Also, my UHD TV at 1440p res takes a direct input from my PC at 120Hz, it looks fine, no interpolation and it is true 120Hz.

I understand it perfectly fine. An hdmi 2.0 can do 120hz 1440p just fine. None of them can do 4k 120hz. It wil *always* replay the frame twice. You will never see 100 different frame in a second through that connect at 4k. That was the point I was making. There is no 120hz 4k hdmi 2.0.

I understand it perfectly fine. An hdmi 2.0 can do 120hz 1440p just fine. None of them can do 4k 120hz. It wil *always* replay the frame twice. You will never see 100 different frame in a second through that connect at 4k. That was the point I was making. There is no 120hz 4k hdmi 2.0.
Some TVs can do true 120Hz UHD but need to wait a while for HDMI 2.1 cards.
Monitors can do it over DP.
There is a remote chance a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter will make an appearance first but I'm not holding my breath.

You are not correct about TVs with 120Hz interpolation displaying the same frame twice.
They interpolate between frames, that is what is displayed.
It is not the same frame twice.

Last edited:
Back