Upgrade GFX Card(s) - Nvidia GTX 460

I have two PC's:

Media Center PC:
Used for Blue Ray/ Movies/ netflix
GTX 8800 that is acting funky (random colored boxes flickering, in bios/ boot up as well as in OS).

Main PC: i7 higher end PC used for Gaming. Not playing cutting edge games all the time, getting them when they go on sale, so i am a bit behind. there.
Currently Has a GTX 460 that is working fine.

My plan was to replace the GTX 460 in my PC and put the card in the Media Center PC.

I could use some suggestions/ opinions for a card to get.
I'd prefer nvidia because I already have the drivers installed but I am not dead set.

No real budget, but less then $450. I like to buy once and use for as long as possible, or until I am forced to upgrade.

For the price you asking... I can recommend a GTX 670.. That are rounding the 350-420$ depending on models... By example in newegg you have a EVGA GTX 670 FTW(the best card model by evga) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787) for 399$+ a free copy of metro last light. So you can later sell the game and save some money.. And with that card you will have enough graphic power for years... Its just an example.. If u wanna still save some money and u will not play over 1920x1080 go with a GTX 660ti any OC edition by MSI or FTW edition by EVGA.. (I recommend this last option.)

With a budget of 450 your best bet is getting a GTX 680 for performance, that will last you a long time coming if you are still on a 460. Although it may be tough finding one at 450. Next best step would be a 7970.

Why get a 670 when a 7970 is a faster card?

Cuz he said the prefer Nvidia on the first post?... We can recommend anything but in the lines of what the OP is asking.. In this case nvidia cards.

Cuz he said the prefer Nvidia on the first post?... We can recommend anything but in the lines of what the OP is asking.. In this case nvidia cards.

OP said he wasn't dead set on nvidia cards, and I'm sure he'd be willing to re-install drivers if it meant getting a faster video card for the same price or less..

Yea, I am open to ether nvidia or radeon. while nvidia is preferred for simplicity sake it seems to me after some research and posts that the radeon is going to be the bigger bang for the buck right now so I am fine with them as an option.

It seems I have two options: Go big with the 7970 or 680 or so mid range and save $200, and upgrade in another 2 years.

I just upgraded from a 460 to a 680 last week. love the performance increase. bought the PNY card from frys when it was $450ish after rebate

2x 660 would beat all single GPU setups. ;) (Maybe unless the game needs more than 2gb of video memor)

Two of these in SLI can crush Titans and come under your $450 price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130826

Just got mine on Monday and this thing is a beast of an upgrade (from GTX 260). Not only that, but under full load this thing runs cooler and quieter than I would have ever thought possible. I never would have considered SLI but for the price > performance I would definitely consider it. They'll last you for many many years to come running max everything.

if you want best value for money go with HD 7950 boost (925 mhz). average overclocks of 1150 - 1200 mhz.

I would say more like 1100-1150. Not all 7950's can reach those speeds. The most I was able to get out of my twin frozr 7950, was 1195/1650.

7950's will give you the most bang for the buck, but if you want to stick with nvidia, custom 670's would be an excellent choice.

Back