Upgrade from Samsung 275t?

Canon

2[H]4U
I currently have a Samsung 275t (yes, the original non-plus version). It's an S-PVA monitor with a claimed 6MS G to G pixel refresh and a resolution of 1920x1080. I currently have a GTX 980.

275T (LS27HUBCB/XAA) | Support | SAMSUNG Canada

Anyhow I just can't stop myself from looking at the Acer Predator x34.
Gaming Monitor: Acer Predator X34

I enjoy playing FPS and 3rd person games like Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4, Arma, Doom etc.

One feature that really caught my eye with the x34 was GSYNC, it really seems like a must have feature. Also, being able to run at up to 100hz refresh rate would be a real change from the 60hz refresh I have now. Without vsync on, the 275t shows a ton of screen tearing.

Also, I thought the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q might be of interest but it doesn't seem to be available around here (I'm in Canada). NCIX might have limited stock.

I have loved this Samsung 275t monitor for the last 8 years I've owned it and it is still in my opinion a nice monitor to look at, so for all intents and purposes, there isn't actually anything wrong with.

i'm trying to get a feeling from you guys if all of these much talked about "Gaaming features" like GSYNC, higher refresh etc. will make for a more enjoyable experience than what I have now. Any ideas on what I could expect for black levels on these modern IPS monitors compared to my old S-PVA based monitor? I'm feeling like the extra resolution might be nice on these modern monitors (especially the 21:9 x34) but to me 4k doesn't make sense, even if I upgraded my video card. It seems like you kind of need a 40" plus display to have a good experience and the performance hit, even on the GTX 1080 just seems too high still to be worth it to me. Plus anything in the 40"+ range seems to be a TV with HDMI which presents it's own problems with UHD color space support, limited 60hz refresh rates etc. etc.

I wish some of my friends were into PC gaming so I could see their stuff! No local stores display high end monitors, just the cheap $300-$400 displays (or I probably wouldn't have bothered making this thread). I've read dozens of full on reviews of the x34, dozens of Youtube videos, read through the entire x34 thread but really no one seems to be making the comparison between this top of the line display and displays from 8 or so years ago. Really, they are just comparing to other currently available competing monitors.

Anyhow, any feedback would be appreciated.

What you decide to buy? I also use a 275t for 8 years

I think about buying Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz (UM.HX1EE.005) or something similar
just thinking about buying TV 55-inch 4k
maybe Philips BDM4350UC / 00
X34 is awesome

Last edited:
I decided to keep what I have for now and see what happens next year.

I want to see how the X34p is from a quality point of view. Way too many quality ussues reported on the x34 IMHO which isn't too acceptable on a $1700 CAD monitor IMHO. The cheapest I've seen the X34 available for was $1600 CAD...

Also I want to see what happens with 4k displays. Maybe we'll see some decently sized units with gsync and high refresh that are worth looking at.

Any purchase will be combined with a GPU upgrade by the looks of it as well, so I night as well wait until next year's GPUs hit.

Back