Upgrade from P8P67 Pro to Maximus IV Extreme worth it?

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Doing some upgrades for BF3 here towards the end of the month and trying to decide whether it would be worth it to upgrade from my P8P67 Pro to a Maximus IV Extreme at that time too. Going Quadfire this time around.

Other Upgrades that will be done at the same time are:
2x Sapphire 6990 4GB Cards in Quadfire
Corsair Special Edition Graphite Series 600T White Case
Corsair AX1200 Power Supply

Rest of the rig will consist of:
Intel i5 2500K - Currently have it running at 5.0GHz 1.39v under a Noctua NH-D14
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
ASUS VH238H x3 for Eyefinity 5932x1080
WD Black 1TB HDD, will also add a SSD drive later on for Windows
ASUS Xonar DX

Is the upgrade worth it or am I just wasting money with the move? I figure I can sell my Pro board for ~$100 or so, making the Maximus IV Extreme cost around ~$210.

Unless you're getting 3 graphics cards, and are trying to achieve the max overclock possible, I would say it is not worth it. The two 6990's should work just fine on your board, and you shouldn't experience any major bandwidth restraints with that board.

If you like the features of the Maximus IV, and it's worth $200 to you, then get it. Otherwise, I would say keep your current board.

Unless you're getting 3 graphics cards, and are trying to achieve the max overclock possible, I would say it is not worth it. The two 6990's should work just fine on your board, and you shouldn't experience any major bandwidth restraints with that board.

If you like the features of the Maximus IV, and it's worth $200 to you, then get it. Otherwise, I would say keep your current board.

Agreed. The Maximus IV Extreme is the best overclocker I've ever seen, but frankly, it won't do anything for you aside from that unless you are longing for other features the board has that your current board is lacking.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I was originally going to go with a 6990+6950+6950 setup, which is why I was looking at the Maximus IV Extreme board in the first place. Had I gone that route though I wouldn't have anywhere to plug my sound card in to and made the decision to get rid of the 6950s and opt for 2x 6990s to have a slot open for sound.

Since I'll be going with 2 cards it wouldn't really make sense for the to upgrade. This board will run my chip at 5.2 for benchmarks and 5.1 for games, but didn't like the temps (may give this a try with the new case). I don't think getting the IV Extreme to maybe squeeze another 100+mhz out of the chip would be worth the extra money at this point since performance wouldn't be affected too much if it somehow managed to get there and be stable, although it'd be a good sig OC # :p.

Thanks again!

Back