upgrade from intel 80gb x-25

dave2521

Weaksauce
Good afternoon everyone, I am considering upgrading my 80gb x-25 to a 128 or 256gb SSD considering all the new deals out there. My question is my x-25 is first gen, i believe runs in sata 2 (im a noob on this), but my mobo allows sata 3 connections. With the dropping prices in SSD's would it be worth it to upgrade to a new SSD or wait until prices drop a lot more?

Thanks!

I've seen a lot of sales on the Samsung 830 series lately, close to $1 per GB for either the 128GB or 256GB size. Are you running out of space now?

I don't think you'll "feel" a huge difference if you upgrade, so if you don't have an immediate need for a larger drive you probably will get more for your money if you wait 6 months or a year or whenever.

Is this for a laptop or a desktop?

It is for a desktop, and i am running out of space, current only have about 15gb left, and I can feel it slowing down because of that. Mind you I can easily remove one of the games that is on there and free up anther 10 gb, but my thing is the increased performance in todays SSD if it would be a worth while adjustment.

If you have to uninstall and reinstall games, I'd consider upgrading for convenience. From what I've read, the increased performance you get from a current gen drive vs. the X-25 won't make a huge difference day to day, but the extra space will be useful

but my mobo allows sata 3 connections.
All new drives are SATA3 but if your MB has a 3rd party chipset controlling those ports just stay with SATA2. I'm speaking about Intel.

If you're using AMD I have no idea.

I would only consider upgrading to a 256gb drive for space reasons alone.... I notice a small difference in speed between my old 40gb Kingston flash with an intel firmware to my current 128gb M4. Write speeds are faster but the 40gb drives were not known for their write speeds anyways.

Last edited:
My question is my x-25 is first gen, i believe runs in sata 2 (im a noob on this), but my mobo allows sata 3 connections
You're noobness is showing.

SATA2 is a 3Gb/s connection while SATA3 is a 6Gb/s connection.

Your MB only has SATA2.

Do yourself a favor and read about the terminology. ;)

If your P55 has a third party 6gbps controller from Marvell or JMicron or something, you could have SATA III on your board, but I doubt it.

In any event, the X25-M 80GB is a fantastic, beautiful drive. It's doubtful you would notice much of an improvement in speed, but you may want more capacity. As has been suggested the Samsung 830 is a good choice and has been quite cheap recently. The best bang/$ is currently had on the 256GB Crucial M4 (when you can find it for ~$200).

Only upgrade if you are running out of space. The real world difference between the fastest SSD and the x-25 is relatively small.

1. I believe X25-M G1 is running 50nm nand flash.
2. It is general understanding that 50nm nand flash has higher PE cycle rating than latest 2x nm nand flash.
3. Hence if you are a user with typical client usage scenario and careful preparation to reduce SSD write-wear, potentially it can last very long usage duration.

4. Above is relevant if you are a determined user with personal conviction of utmost engineering orientation with respect to everything in life, especially computer, with very strict goals in mind.
4.1 If not, then just go with whatever that suits you currently. many years ago, somebody taught me, "let the nature take its course"

Cheers

Back