upgrade from crossfire 6850's??

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Well as the title states, Im looking to upgrade my cards.. They been amazing but I want more!!

So what to get? Current mobo allows SLI and Xfire.

7970 really worth it? If I was to get one it would be the XFX Black edition.. but that comes in at $600.. Dont really wont to blow that much..

maybe $400

Hows Nvidia side of things? 580?

Upgrade probably wont happen till mid feb..

Specs are in sig.

Monitor is 1920 x 1080 but if upgrading might splurge on 2 more monitors..

Mainly looking to help BF3 play better. And what ever new gmaes on horizon..

The best bang for your buck @ $400 is two 6950s used. You might even be able to get unlockable ones.

$400 or less for two 6950s (what I did) is much faster than a single $600 6970.

The best bang for your buck @ $400 is two 6950s used. You might even be able to get unlockable ones.

$400 or less for two 6950s (what I did) is much faster than a single $600 6970.

From what others have been saying, a single 7970 has been providing a better experience than 2x6950s even though the framerate is slightly slower.

So why not just wait till then to start the thread? :rolleyes:

hmm,

I dunno,

Maybe, because im not a millionaire and need to actually save money.. So if i have a ball park price standpoint I kinda know what to stash away..

Or is there a rule now where I have to wait till last minute to ask what to upgrade to?

From what others have been saying, a single 7970 has been providing a better experience than 2x6950s even though the framerate is slightly slower.

Because of microstutter? That seems to be a subjective thing and I haven't noticed it in any games that I play.

Yeah microstutter is subjective, not everyone see's and feels the same thing

Maybe, because im not a millionaire and need to actually save money.. So if i have a ball park price standpoint I kinda know what to stash away.

Well neither the new AMD nor Nvidia cards that fall within your price range are out yet. But I feel totally confident in making a recommendation!

I suggest you get the SUX2000 Type R Tokyo Edition with 3GB of pupkin ram. Best in your price range.

I did the exact upgrade as OP and im not regretting it. I got the ASUS one and got it pricematched for $575+tax. Much better frames and dont have to worry about crossfire profiles and stuttering and whatever else. Just sold my 2 6850's for $250can.

Because of microstutter? That seems to be a subjective thing and I haven't noticed it in any games that I play.

Not necessarily microstutter. I personally have 6850s in crossfire and have no issues with microstutter and all of that. I just know there have been a number of people now who have been happy because they are able to play with the same settings as 6950 crossfire but it uses less power and is generally quieter. You DO avoid microstutter as well if you are one of those unlucky people that are bothered by it :)

More than just the lack of microstutter, the upgrade path is much more clear from a single 7970. There will always be the possibility to add another for crossfire later, whereas a pair of 6950s, unlocked or not, is a dead end solution. Great framerates now, but no room for expansion. Not to mention their resale value is likely to be kinda poopy in a year or so when the lower end 7000 series stuff comes out, while the 7970 will likely retain value much better.

Is all that worth $100-$150? If you can squeeze out the extra, it's almost certainly worth it.

Hmm maybe Ill sell my 68's and just put that towards the 7970.. Help offset the cost..

didnt really want to sell em, but guess itll be worth it in the long run. (was gonna toss one in each of my other towers)

Back