Upgrade from an R9 290?

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
CPU is a 4670 typically running at 4.2ghz. 16gb ram.

I have an 850w power supply as well.

What resolution do you play at or are planning too? If everything is playing to your satisfaction now, do not bother.

I went from a 290 to a 1070, very satisfied with it a lot cooler and nearly twice as many frames with it.

What resolution do you play at or are planning too? If everything is playing to your satisfaction now, do not bother.

Now, shit and giggles, go for a 1070 or 1080. Otherwise, without more info about your wants and needs it's hard to say more.

Or a Titan XP. Or SLI any of the above named.

Now, shit and giggles, go for a 1070 or 1080. Otherwise, without more info about your wants and needs it's hard to say more.

Or a Titan XP. Or SLI any of the above named.

Spend money just for the sake of spending money. After all, it is just money, right? ;) /joking

I went for the 1070 from my 290. For me it was a roughly 250$ upgrade, which I considered worth it. Great performance, great overclocking, wayyyyyyyyy cooler running.

I got the same problem, but I have a freesync monitor and I would prefer to stay AMD but I might swap I am at
3440x1440.

If you want to stay AMD, 290X, 390X, Fury, Fury X, RX 480 or two of any of the preceding models.

I got the same problem, but I have a freesync monitor and I would prefer to stay AMD but I might swap I am at
3440x1440.

It's kind of a hard move at the moment,

I have the same monitor resolution. 3440x1440@75hz.

Had a 290.

Upgraded to Fury X.

Can't run everything at ultra 75hz even without AA... but can always stay in the freesync range (45-75). So this is cool for now but newer titles could be an issue in the near future.

It's kind of a hard move at the moment,

I have the same monitor resolution. 3440x1440@75hz.

Had a 290.

Upgraded to Fury X.

Can't run everything at ultra 75hz even without AA... but can always stay in the freesync range (45-75). So this is cool for now but newer titles could be an issue in the near future.

somehow I bought the shitty monitor

LG with only 60hz and not 75 and full price to boot.

wish VEGA was coming in October instead of net year.

If waiting for Vega is that important to you, waiting a few months after October is just fine. I waited to pick up my current card by using the built-in iGPU for over a year. Even a 100 USD stop-gap card would have been better (which I refused to pay for). You're way ahead of me there.

It looks like 1080p based on this in the sig - AOC 27" lPS display. I'm guessing they own this display

Assuming 1080p, I think a 1070 is overkill. I'd sugges an rx 480 or 1060, both of which will be incremental upgrades. Are you running into issues in any particular game? Or just feeling the itch to upgrade?

CPU is a 4670 typically running at 4.2ghz. 16gb ram.

I have an 850w power supply as well.
Upgraded from 290x/290 cfx to a single 1070 which overall has better performance, a hell a lot quieter and no longer a space heater. 1070 would be a very good choice with a dramatic increase in performance and I think worth the extra cost over either a RX 480 or GTX 1060. Plus gives you options to upgrade your monitor later. The 1070 has no problems driving 3440 x 1440p resolutions with virtually every game maxed out.

I went from an r9 290 pcs powercolor which ran very cool to a gtx 980 ti yes i could see a difference but wish i had waited for the 1080ti i find it funny how everyone acts like all r9 290's run hot sure the reference ones do but most of us have aftermarket cards my powercolor pcs 290 stays under 70 celcius.i have an r9 290 in one rig and a gtx 980 ti in the 2nd rig and ya there is an improvement but i might wait it out till the 1080ti

I went from an r9 290 pcs powercolor which ran very cool to a gtx 980 ti yes i could see a difference but wish i had waited for the 1080ti i find it funny how everyone acts like all r9 290's run hot sure the reference ones do but most of us have aftermarket cards my powercolor pcs 290 stays under 70 celcius.i have an r9 290 in one rig and a gtx 980 ti in the 2nd rig and ya there is an improvement but i might wait it out till the 1080ti

Son, my XFX DD OC'ing ran at 88-93 degrees with a 200mm fan blowing directly on it.

I have an XFX 295x2 that is under water. Does not go above 66 degrees with super mild OC (1050/1300).
I used to have a 980TI Classy underwater, you'd feel a cool breeze coming out of the 480mm radiator mounted up top.
Now the breeze provides warmth in the wake of a cold winter.

I think, H2O is the way to go for AMD, expecially if OC'd.

Just gave my friend a 290 with a h75 on it. Im wondering what his next upgrade would be myself. I imagine 1070/980ti

I went from a 290 to a 980ti @3440x1440. Mostly happy with it but will be jumping back to AMD once Vega hits I think (provided performance is good).

The 980TI is fine for the most part (I've had it for about a year) but do think it was quite expensive at the time.

I went from a 290 to a 1070, very satisfied with it a lot cooler and nearly twice as many frames with it.

I would go with this suggestion. I've got the 1070 ROG STRIX and love it. Amazing performance and the card has yet to hit 70C with 2K+MHz on the core.

Damn, flotz beat me to it again!!! But, I agree, water is the way to go if you're pushing a lot of pixels.

Reactions: flotz
like this
Back