Upgrade from an i7 6950X?

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
I’ve been trying to find a way to compare my i7 6950X @ 4GHz to AMD’s current offerings (namely the 3900X) but can’t find an effective way to do it with existing reviews.

Anyone have any insight on what type of performance improvement I’d mainly be seeing in gaming, VR, and the occasional video/photo editing/compiling?

Hmm, I have a 7820x which scores around 5k in cinebench r20, overclocked. The 6950x is a lil bit faster with its extra cores. I also have a 3900x, which stock scores around 7k in r20, or a hair under. You can then get that score to 8k with a serious all core overclock. The 3900x also has higher single thread performance. In real world multi threaded workloads, the 3900x walks all over my 7820x and that is not even touching on the ridiculous heat and power draw of the 7820x.

Moving to a 3800x from my 6950x both systems with HT off for heat reduction ; I like everything about the new system better particularly the heat output reduction and gen 4 express lanes. Everything just runs smoother especially at higher resolution in gaming. I have 0 regrets.

I was running a 5820k @ 4.5Ghz on an X99 motherboard before I upgraded to a 3900X. Really, gaming performance seems about the same in most situations (RTX 2080, 1440p @ 144hz). It still seems like a better platform overall and I have no regrets. The 3900X actually runs cooler than my 5820k did, but I ran a pretty aggressive overclock. In anything that is highly multi-threaded, the 3900x is pretty amazing.

I was running a 5820k @ 4.5Ghz on an X99 motherboard before I upgraded to a 3900X. Really, gaming performance seems about the same in most situations (RTX 2080, 1440p @ 144hz). It still seems like a better platform overall and I have no regrets. The 3900X actually runs cooler than my 5820k did, but I ran a pretty aggressive overclock. In anything that is highly multi-threaded, the 3900x is pretty amazing.
That's good to know as I'm still on X99 with a similar setup (5930k for the extra PCIe lanes as I used to do SLI).

I ended up building a second rig using a 3700X since I just have an itch to build a new PC. Going to buy a 12 or 16 core Zen 3 processor when it comes out later this year (or early next year depending on how things pan out), and just plop it into the motherboard I bought since apparently it'll be compatible - props to AMD with their socket AM4 support. Zen 3 is rumored to have a similarly large IPC jump as Zen 2 did over the previous generation so I didn't want to blow a lot of money on a Zen 2 chip now. Got the 3700X for essentially $260 since it was part of a motherboard combo.

I haven't noticed much of a change performance wise but definitely am feeling a difference with thermals considering the 3700X has a 65w TDP and my 6950X has a 140w TDP...not to mention Intel tends to slightly fudge their TDP rating to be lower than what it should likely be.

I’ve been trying to find a way to compare my i7 6950X @ 4GHz to AMD’s current offerings (namely the 3900X) but can’t find an effective way to do it with existing reviews.

Anyone have any insight on what type of performance improvement I’d mainly be seeing in gaming, VR, and the occasional video/photo editing/compiling?
you will see probably 10-15% improvement in CPU limited gaming scenarios due to the improved IPC of zen 2 and the higher boost speed.

Honestly not certain I'd make the jump unless you feel slow.

Back