Upgrade from a 3600?

Westwood

[H]F Junkie
Running a 3600 on a B350. Toying with the idea of a new CPU. Not overclocking or anything.

Suggestions for a half way decent upgrade? And, am I going to have to get another MoBo? Aren't CPUs somewhat tied to that MoBo you initially install it in?

Thanks.

Actually, looks like I'm answering my own questions here.

B350 is an AM4.

AM4 is,

Ryzen 3 3100, Ryzen 3 3300X
Ryzen 5 3600, Ryzen 5 3600X
Ryzen 7 3700X, Ryzen 7 3800X
Ryzen 9 3900X, Ryzen 9 3950X
Ryzen Threadripper 3960X, Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Those look to be my options. Minus the ThreadRipper, nothing really all the substantial, looks like? Moving to an AM5 looks to be really the only worthy option.

Actually, looks like I'm answering my own questions here.

B350 is an AM4.

AM4 is,

Ryzen 3 3100, Ryzen 3 3300X
Ryzen 5 3600, Ryzen 5 3600X
Ryzen 7 3700X, Ryzen 7 3800X
Ryzen 9 3900X, Ryzen 9 3950X
Ryzen Threadripper 3960X, Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Those look to be my options. Minus the ThreadRipper, nothing really all the substantial, looks like? Moving to an AM5 looks to be really the only worthy option.

TR chips are TR4 socket, not going on AM4. Which B350 board specifically do you have? Most of them support 5000-series chips, something like a 5600 or 5700X is a huge upgrade.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
5700x is a good fairly inexpensive upgrade. A B350 will handle it. I put a 5700x on a B450 that had a 3600

You should buy my Ryzen 5 5600, Asus Rog Strix X570-I system listed ;)

5700x is a good fairly inexpensive upgrade. A B350 will handle it. I put a 5700x on a B450 that had a 3600
Duly noted. For ~$200 that was sort of what I was looking for.
Thats a pretty good board, update the BIOS and it will support all the way up to 5950X.
No kidding. I don't delve into the BIOS. I'm afraid I'm going to mess something up there, heh.
You should buy my Ryzen 5 5600, Asus Rog Strix X570-I system listed ;)
At this point I wanted to avoid having to buy a new mobo. Because that means I'm going to have to get another copy of Win10. Looking at your ad now though.

But, can I just swap out the CPU? Or are they somewhat married to the MoBo? I'd get that 5700, or maybe 5950x if all I had to do was swap out the chip.

Duly noted. For ~$200 that was sort of what I was looking for.

No kidding. I don't delve into the BIOS. I'm afraid I'm going to mess something up there, heh.

At this point I wanted to avoid having to buy a new mobo. Because that means I'm going to have to get another copy of Win10. Looking at your ad now though.

But, can I just swap out the CPU? Or are they somewhat married to the MoBo? I'd get that 5700, or maybe 5950x if all I had to do was swap out the chip.

1) Update BIOS with old chip
2) Swap out chip
3) ???
4) Profit

I remember ASUS bios files need to be renamed, make sure you read the instructions that come in the txt file when you download it.

The board already has a digital Windows 10 activation by the way

1) Update BIOS with old chip
2) Swap out chip
3) ???
4) Profit

I remember ASUS bios files need to be renamed, make sure you read the instructions that come in the txt file when you download it.
Alright, that's all it is then? I can "build" a pc by plugging things in and stuff. When it comes to BIOS updates and txt files I sort of get a glazed look over my eyes. I remember turning on turbo mode or something, and I think my PC wouldn't boot anymore. That's the level of stupidity you're looking at here, haha.

The board already has a digital Windows 10 activation by the way
Ah, neat. I think I'm going to hold off on getting a new board for now. Its a solid deal, but not quite what I'm looking to do at this moment.

5700X is ~$200. That's right in line with what I had in mind. All I have to do is a BIOS update then? Then I can just pop out the old chip, some paste, and plug in the new one. That's about it, right?

mothman That memory compatible with what I already have?

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Can I mix the 3000 with the 3200? Otherwise its the same thing.
You can mix ram but your results will vary. If you don't care about fabric speeds, then mix to your hearts content. If you do, then it's a concern (you will want all the same timings and speeds).

If your board supports 5000 series chips it will likely be a "beta" released BIOS that will totally blow away your old ones. It will be a one way upgrade ticket, so make certain you know that before going in.

Recommendations on the B350 are generally anything that is 65Watts. You can probably get away with more but verify with your BIOS update for the 5000 series.

If you are going cheap
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5500-12-...id=1675263245&sprefix=amd+5500,aps,163&sr=8-1
or
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5600-12-...75263148&sprefix=amd+5600,aps,183&sr=8-2&th=1

The 5000 series is around a 25% uplift from the 3000 series in most if not all performance metrics.

If you want midrange
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5700X-16...75263301&sprefix=amd+5700,aps,130&sr=8-1&th=1
189 Bucks for an 8 Core 16 Thread is pretty Stellar

High End GAMING (the 5700X will be about 7% faster in Single thread) is (if your board supports it) the 5800X3D, it will likely handle it but have to check with your BIOS support
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5800X3D-...id=1675263409&sprefix=AMD+5800,aps,121&sr=8-1

Alright, that's all it is then? I can "build" a pc by plugging things in and stuff. When it comes to BIOS updates and txt files I sort of get a glazed look over my eyes. I remember turning on turbo mode or something, and I think my PC wouldn't boot anymore. That's the level of stupidity you're looking at here, haha.

Ah, neat. I think I'm going to hold off on getting a new board for now. Its a solid deal, but not quite what I'm looking to do at this moment.

5700X is ~$200. That's right in line with what I had in mind. All I have to do is a BIOS update then? Then I can just pop out the old chip, some paste, and plug in the new one. That's about it, right?

ASUS usually has a renamer program with the BIOS when you download it, its like a batch file you just click it and it does it automatically, probably quite a few youtube videos on how to do it. Then stick it on a thumb drive, boot to BIOS and go to the ezflash utility in there. It will probably take a fat minute to update because there been like 20 AGESA updates since that board was new.

You can mix ram but your results will vary. If you don't care about fabric speeds, then mix to your hearts content. If you do, then it's a concern (you will want all the same timings and speeds).

If your board supports 5000 series chips it will likely be a "beta" released BIOS that will totally blow away your old ones. It will be a one way upgrade ticket, so make certain you know that before going in.

Recommendations on the B350 are generally anything that is 65Watts. You can probably get away with more but verify with your BIOS update for the 5000 series.

If you are going cheap
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5500-12-Thread-Unlocked-Processor/dp/B09VCJ171S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2VCY903VN743C&keywords=AMD+5500&qid=1675263245&sprefix=amd+5500,aps,163&sr=8-1
or
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5600-12-Thread-Unlocked-Processor/dp/B09VCHR1VH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=9LLIRFECDBFS&keywords=AMd+5600&qid=1675263148&sprefix=amd+5600,aps,183&sr=8-2&th=1

The 5000 series is around a 25% uplift from the 3000 series in most if not all performance metrics.

If you want midrange
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5700X-16-Thread-Unlocked-Processor/dp/B09VCHQHZ6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TZ6X3QLI99YC&keywords=AMD+5700&qid=1675263301&sprefix=amd+5700,aps,130&sr=8-1&th=1
189 Bucks for an 8 Core 16 Thread is pretty Stellar

High End GAMING (the 5700X will be about 7% faster in Single thread) is (if your board supports it) the 5800X3D, it will likely handle it but have to check with your BIOS support
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-5800X3D-16-Thread-Processor-Technology/dp/B09VCJ2SHD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=amd+5800x3d&qid=1675263409&sprefix=AMD+5800,aps,121&sr=8-1
Alright, so you're talking to a guy that can weld and field dress a deer. A little bit of this is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I'm going to skip the RAM.

I run a BIOS update on my 350, something I don't think I've ever done, and I should be able to run the 5700X? The word "beta" makes me a little nervous though. Also being a one way ticket.... The system works ok now. I really don't want to mess things up.

So, I see this:
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/rog strix b350-f gaming/helpdesk_download/

Click Win10,

See this,
Chipset
AMD Chipset driver 3.10.22.706 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 3.10.22.70652.32 MB
2021/11/18

Download this file,
hdfghdf.png

Plop that on a USB, and run it in the BIOS?

That should allow me to run that 5700X?

Yes, that's the correct URL. From the Rog Strix B350-F main page, it's Support -> driver & tools -> BIOS & Firmware. Version 6042 (latest) looks like what you want. I don't see any bridge bios version so you should be able to update directly from whatever you have now, to the latest. If anything weird happens after the update, I'd do a full CMOS reset (plugs out, CMOS battery out, short the CLRTC jumper pins for a few seconds) and try again. I'd use one of the rear USB ports, mostly out of superstition. (I bricked a board once doing an update from a front port that apparently had a flaky cable connection.)

iunno. tough call. My GPU is going to stick around I think until the 5000 series come out. Maybe I'll hold off until then. Upgrade to an AM5(6 by then?).

Alright, so you're talking to a guy that can weld and field dress a deer. A little bit of this is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I'm going to skip the RAM.

I run a BIOS update on my 350, something I don't think I've ever done, and I should be able to run the 5700X? The word "beta" makes me a little nervous though. Also being a one way ticket.... The system works ok now. I really don't want to mess things up.

So, I see this:
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/rog strix b350-f gaming/helpdesk_download/

Click Win10,

See this,
Chipset
AMD Chipset driver 3.10.22.706 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 3.10.22.70652.32 MB
2021/11/18

Download this file,
View attachment 545836

Plop that on a USB, and run it in the BIOS?

That should allow me to run that 5700X?
If you can Weld and field dress a deer, that's more complex than what I am talking about. I have a lot of respect for both skill sets.

The most of the BIOS updates that support 5000 series chips on the 300 series Motherboards have been "Beta" BIOS releases from what I have seen. Maybe some vendors have released formalized, highly tested, BIOS updates but you have to check with the board manufacturer (I think you said it was an ASUS). Also, with the age of the MB some features may be lost because the Microcode for the 5000 Series Chips is bigger than the memory on those boards, so they cut some stuff out most of the time ( Like Integrated GPU support on the chips that have a graphics card on them and other things like maybe RAID functionality). Make sure you read the documentation on the BIOS updates carefully so you don't get screwed.

FIRST THING: that file does not look like a BIOS update. that looks like a chipset update.

SECOND: Search BIOS and MAKE CERTAIN THE BIOS IS FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD REVISION (generally speaking you will be fine, but sometimes there were variations of motherboards that could screw with the install). The REV number is somewhere on the Mainboard or on your MB Box if you still have it. Make certain you get this from the ASUS website.

THIRD: Unzip the BIOS and place the files on the USB Drive. You should be able to access them from inside the BIOS or you may have to make it bootable with a utility like RUFUS (free download after a google search) to run that way.

What is the old saying? Measure Twice, Cut Once. the more research and time you take in your migration to the new CPU the better. Be careful, take your time, read all the notes you can on the BIOS update. Then go for it.

ok. so this doesn't look too bad then. BIOS update and plug in a 5700X.

Looking at benchmarks now to see what much of an improvement this is. Thanks.

edit:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4814vs3481/AMD-Ryzen-7-5700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600

hrm.
The upgrade will be significant. It was for me moving from my 3600 to 5600X. Night and day. Maybe all the metrics displayed won't look favorable but the overall performance smoked my 3600. Got a buddy that is still on the 3600 because he's too lazy to put together the 5900X and MB he bought MONTHS ago.... He keeps bitching about performance. All those issues disappear when moving to the 5000 Series chips as long as it's a 5500 or higher. I was and sill am very happy with my 5000 series chips. I have a 5600X and a 5900X and both are still great CPUs.

No reason to hold off. Just take your time and do the homework, then make the upgrade. Make sure the new BIOS supports the chip you want to drop in.

If you can Weld and field dress a deer, that's more complex than what I am talking about. I have a lot of respect for both skill sets.

The most of the BIOS updates that support 5000 series chips on the 300 series Motherboards have been "Beta" BIOS releases from what I have seen. Maybe some vendors have released formalized, highly tested, BIOS updates but you have to check with the board manufacturer (I think you said it was an ASUS). Also, with the age of the MB some features may be lost because the Microcode for the 5000 Series Chips is bigger than the memory on those boards, so they cut some stuff out most of the time ( Like Integrated GPU support on the chips that have a graphics card on them and other things like maybe RAID functionality). Make sure you read the documentation on the BIOS updates carefully so you don't get screwed.

FIRST THING: that file does not look like a BIOS update. that looks like a chipset update.

SECOND: Search BIOS and MAKE CERTAIN THE BIOS IS FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD REVISION (generally speaking you will be fine, but sometimes there were variations of motherboards that could screw with the install). The REV number is somewhere on the Mainboard or on your MB Box if you still have it. Make certain you get this from the ASUS website.

THIRD: Unzip the BIOS and place the files on the USB Drive. You should be able to access them from inside the BIOS or you may have to make it bootable with a utility like RUFUS (free download after a google search) to run that way.

What is the old saying? Measure Twice, Cut Once. the more research and time you take in your migration to the new CPU the better. Be careful, take your time, read all the notes you can on the BIOS update. Then go for it.
Yea, I linked the wrong thing at first.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/

I believe thats the BIOS update right there. I'll grab the box when I get home and confirm.

The upgrade will be significant. It was for me moving from my 3600 to 5600X. Night and day. Maybe all the metrics displayed won't look favorable but the overall performance smoked my 3600. Got a buddy that is still on the 3600 because he's too lazy to put together the 5900X and MB he bought MONTHS ago.... He keeps bitching about performance. All those issues disappear when moving to the 5000 Series chips as long as it's a 5500 or higher. I was and sill am very happy with my 5000 series chips. I have a 5600X and a 5900X and both are still great CPUs.

No reason to hold off. Just take your time and do the homework, then make the upgrade. Make sure the new BIOS supports the chip you want to drop in.
Alright. Right now I mainly play World of Warcraft, but when I get burnt out I'm on whatever single player FPS games that peak my interest. Doom, Half Life, that sort of thing. I'm seeing mixed results on the 3600 to the 5700X in Warcraft.

Or, do I just go balls out with a 5900X. And just have that carry me into the 5000 Series cards.

hm

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/

I believe thats the BIOS update right there. I'll grab the box when I get home and confirm.

Alright. Right now I mainly play World of Warcraft, but when I get burnt out I'm on whatever single player FPS games that peak my interest. Doom, Half Life, that sort of thing. I'm seeing mixed results on the 3600 to the 5700X in Warcraft.

Or, do I just go balls out with a 5900X. And just have that carry me into the 5000 Series cards.

hm
Get the 5900X if you're doing productivity tasks. I figured when I got mine it would last me for 5+ years. Then I lost my shit and upgraded to the 13900K...

The real question we should have asked you is what RESOLUTION do you game at?
If you are playing at 4K, most of the CPUs look identical. It's more GPU bound there.

Get the 5900X if you're doing productivity tasks. I figured when I got mine it would last me for 5+ years. Then I lost my shit and upgraded to the 13900K...

The real question we should have asked you is what RESOLUTION do you game at?
If you are playing at 4K, most of the CPUs look identical. It's more GPU bound there.
1440@144

This is strictly gaming. The words "productivity" and "on the computer" are never used in the same sentence.

1440@144

This is strictly gaming. The words "productivity" and "on the computer" are never used in the same sentence.
Then don't go for the 5900X. 8 Cores Max, that's your sweet spot. That's what the consoles are sitting at and where most games are ported from (Playstation and Xbox are both AMD 8 Core CPUs).

1440P is Diminishing returns on the FPS side of things. The 3600 is likely "ok" in that space but you will see an overall responsive boost from the 5000 series chips. Everything will just "seem" faster (because it is). If you haven't adopted a PCI-E 3.0 M.2 drive as your boot / gaming drive (if there is a slot on the board for it)?

hm
IMO....Zen2 to Zen3 isn't a huge upgrade. It can be nice for people doing high refresh gaming. Or people looking to cut down render times or something. I actually downgraded from a 5950x to a 3900x and....didn't notice unless I was benchmarking. 3900x was still potent enough even, to encode a stream on the CPU.

However, if you are playing WoW, I'm pretty sure that game LOVES the extra cache on the 5800X3D. That CPU gives you ~ Zen 4 performance, in gaming. And for some games which really love the cache, its actually better.

Then don't go for the 5900X. 8 Cores Max, that's your sweet spot. That's what the consoles are sitting at and where most games are ported from (Playstation and Xbox are both AMD 8 Core CPUs).

1440P is Diminishing returns on the FPS side of things. The 3600 is likely "ok" in that space but you will see an overall responsive boost from the 5000 series chips. Everything will just "seem" faster (because it is). If you haven't adopted a PCI-E 3.0 M.2 drive as your boot / gaming drive (if there is a slot on the board for it)?
mmk. big help.

I am on a NVME M.2 drive, but I couldn't tell you the PCI number thing.

5900X was only $20 more over the 5800X3D, so that's why I checked it out.

IMO....Zen2 to Zen3 isn't a huge upgrade. It can be nice for people doing high refresh gaming. Or people looking to cut down render times or something. I actually downgraded from a 5950x to a 3900x and....didn't notice unless I was benchmarking. 3900x was still potent enough even, to encode a stream on the CPU.

However, if you are playing WoW, I'm pretty sure that game LOVES the extra cache on the 5800X3D. That CPU gives you ~ Zen 4 performance, in gaming. And for some games which really love the cache, its actually better.

So, it seems like the 5800X3D over the 5700X is a fairly significant upgrade then from the 3600.

hrm. from $190 to $330. Kind of stepped out of just the tip territory there.

mmk. big help.

I am on a NVME M.2 drive, but I couldn't tell you the PCI number thing.

5900X was only $20 more over the 5800X3D, so that's why I checked it out.

So, it seems like the 5800X3D over the 5700X is a fairly significant upgrade then from the 3600.

hrm. from $190 to $330. Kind of stepped out of just the tip territory there.
You will see better FPS on the 5800X3D, all the time, over the 5700X. The 5900X trades blows with the 5800X3D, it's significantly faster in single threading and can edge out the X3D in a about 7 games (I forget which ones) by 1-4 FPS. However, the 5800X3D is the clear winner for gaming at 1080P. It kicks just about every other CPU's ass at 1080P which is important for all those Twitch, competitive, shooter players out there. It will likely deliver a significant bump in FPS in 1440P (and deliver jack and shit or less FPS at 4K).

Just make damn sure your BIOS says it will run the CPU.

You will see better FPS on the 5800X3D, all the time, over the 5700X. The 5900X trades blows with the 5800X3D, it's significantly faster in single threading and can edge out the X3D in a about 7 games (I forget which ones) by 1-4 FPS. However, the 5800X3D is the clear winner for gaming at 1080P. It kicks just about every other CPU's ass at 1080P which is important for all those Twitch, competitive, shooter players out there. It will likely deliver a significant bump in FPS in 1440P (and deliver jack and shit or less FPS at 4K).

Just make damn sure your BIOS says it will run the CPU.
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/rog strix b350-f gaming/helpdesk_cpu/

jgkldfjgksdfl.png

gsdgsdsdf.png

??

I guess the 3D cache thing, whateverthehell that is, is also good too.

Looks like you are good to go. That's the best CPU for gaming (from that generation) you can buy and a really good upgrade for that platform.
No idea how I replied to myself... I have been busy all day at work. Must have manifested my inner retard.

Last edited:
cool beans. I'll go that route. I'm going to wait a week though. I've got two vehicles, three motorcycles, and a tractor that I'm waiting on parts for. once I get those sorted, I'll order the X3D then.
Cool. We will be here to help you if you need it.

My son recently upgraded his 2700x to a 5700x on a b350 Tomahawk. He noticed a large uplift in gaming, since the 5700x allowed his 3070ti to stretch its legs a little more, plus the 5700x did not throw as much heat into his small room as did the 2700x.

My son recently upgraded his 2700x to a 5700x on a b350 Tomahawk. He noticed a large uplift in gaming, since the 5700x allowed his 3070ti to stretch its legs a little more, plus the 5700x did not throw as much heat into his small room as did the 2700x.
Yeah, moving from a 2nd Gen Ryzen to the 4th Gen 5000 series is a huge jump forward. Better something like 40% Better single Threading, Higher sustained frequencies, better RAM support and Fabric Speeds, Multi threading was almost double. It's a great upgrade to be certain.

I just want to say congrats. The idea of taking a B350 to a drop-in 5800X3D is what dreams are made of.

Also, one of the added bonuses of this chip is it cares very little what RAM you're running. The idea is to work in the extra cache as much as possible without hitting RAM as much. Give your old RAM a try before touching it.

Back