Upgrade from 980 Ti to 1080?

Are you happy moving from 980 Ti to 1080

• Very happy and see real performance gains (25-35%)

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Happy but little performance difference between the two setups (15-20%)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Indifferent, getting slightly better performance, nothing noticeable (< 10%)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slightly unhappy, could have waited for the next thing rather than 1080

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want my money back (extremely unhappy)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
Are the people who made the move happy with performance, price/performance, and overclock ability. Are there perceived and real differences?

Choose option in poll.

Comparing GM200 980ti to GP104 1080, a big chip to a smaller chip. It usually takes 3 tiers to notice differences outside of benchmarks. Compare 980 vanilla to 1080, GP100 should be the compared to 980ti.

This is a real customer experience thread dedicated to a very small segment of people who have done the upgrade.

GTX980TI owners isn't supposed to upgrade to GTX1080. Unless they want to save a 100W or so from their factory OC/Home OCed cards or desperate for the last few frames. From a stock GTX980TI TPU shows a gain around 36%.

it's not like performance is an opinion. we can look at benchmarks and see how the two perform comparatively. this thread is pointless.

Overclocked 980 Ti vs oc 1080 benchmarks aren't that common. The few that I've seen show that the 1080 is faster but not enough to warrant changing from a 980 Ti.

it's not like performance is an opinion. we can look at benchmarks and see how the two perform comparatively. this thread is pointless.

There is a wide disparity in OC to OC benchmarks between 980 Ti and 1080. I have seen gains reported as 35% down to 10% only. I don't know what to trust anymore, except source ACTUAL customer reviews.
Every website benching the cards misses some points. Even when hard did the bench, they took default ASUS STRIX rather than a fully OC 980 Ti STRIX to compare to 1080 STRIX OC.

There is a wide disparity in OC to OC benchmarks between 980 Ti and 1080. I have seen gains reported as 35% down to 10% only. I don't know what to trust anymore, except source ACTUAL customer reviews.
Every website benching the cards misses some points. Even when hard did the bench, they took default ASUS STRIX rather than a fully OC 980 Ti STRIX to compare to 1080 STRIX OC.

I was really hoping for a OC vs OC review. They've done it in the past and it's what we really want to see.

I went Titan X -> 1080 because it was basically free.

I've been happy with it. No good comparisons really, but if you can do it for $0-200 I'd say go for it. I always seemed to need an extra 5 FPS to lock 60Hz at 3440x1440 with AA. Now I have an extra 15-20 :)

Last edited:

There is a performance gain, but for me not for 600 dollars.

I've got a step up going for my Classified to a 1080, and it will cost $200 - and I almost didn't at that price. Why? I'd see about 15% better performance in most games out right now. Even the top scoring 1080 with a 5820K is only 15% faster in 3Dmark (edit: Firestrike) when I do a side by side comparison (looking at FPS and the %).

Last edited:
Yeah I can't pull the trigger maybe wait till next gen had one SC in my Cart but hell I'm having more fun with Pokemon Go.

Yeah I can't pull the trigger maybe wait till next gen had one SC in my Cart but hell I'm having more fun with Pokemon Go.
i m in the same boat but with 2 980ti's , waiting for that card to replace both performance wise , Titan P might do it if its 30% faster than a 1080 ( @ $1200 it's really hard considering ill still be getting lower performance when SLI works ) , but most probably will wait for 1180ti or whateever it will be called .

Going from a regular 980 to 980TI had more of a performance jump than from 980TI to 1080. I am Disappointed!

I will let you know next week. My EVGA step-up finally popped and i'm shipping off my 980ti Friday.

I picked the second option since I had a reference 980Ti that I applied a moderate OC to. The performance gain is noticeable both when looking at the fps counter and in the feel of the game play. The more demanding games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Crysis 3 where my average fps was right below 60 now average comfortably above 60 and the difference in smoothness improves the game play. Games like BF4 where my 980Ti already performed superbly in now run even better and the fps averages closer to the max refresh rate of my monitor. Once again this improves the game play and is very nice. Games that I didn't try with the 980Ti after OC'ing it are getting a huge boost. In Far Cry 4 I couldn't enable soft shadows and get a smooth experience but with the 1080 I can enable them and still average above 60fps. Overall the performance boost going from a moderately OC'ed 980Ti to a 1080 isn't monumental but it was enough to make it worth it to me.

If you own a 980Ti and aren't into heavy over clocking then selling it and getting a 1080 isn't a bad move. If you don't want to go through the trouble of selling it then I'd say try over clocking it. Even a moderate OC to a 980Ti will give you a decent performance boost and it's really easy.

There is a performance gain, but for me not for 600 dollars.

I've got a step up going for my Classified to a 1080, and it will cost $200 - and I almost didn't at that price. Why? I'd see about 15% better performance in most games out right now. Even the top scoring 1080 with a 5820K is only 15% faster in 3Dmark (edit: Firestrike) when I do a side by side comparison (looking at FPS and the %).

jesus christ. you can get nearly 10,000 views taking other people's hard work and putting it in a video with shitty narration and god awful looping stock music. what a world.

jesus christ. you can get nearly 10,000 views taking other people's hard work and putting it in a video with shitty narration and god awful looping stock music. what a world.

You can get millions of views doing that. In fact I think those are the most popular types of videos on Youtube.

Eh? I didn't make that, and if you don't like the music there is a mute button on the lower left.

The information presented is what is relevant - your post completely ignores that little tidbit.

Playing the witcher at 4K with a single 980ti 1450/7800) was ok... I had to make some compromises with image quality and my FPS dipped under 40 more than I liked. I popped a 1080 FE in and immediately saw significant improvements with no overclocking. With overclocking to 2050/5454 I was able to increase IQ to mostly ultra without hair works and keep between 50 and 60 FPS probably 80% of the time. It tipped the scales enough to add quite a bit of gaming enjoyment at 4K. That alone made the purchase worth it for me.

Yeah I am probably going to add another FE at some point but for now I am pretty good with a single.

I went 980Ti to 1080 - if only to stabilize my frame drops.
I mostly play Overwatch and FFXIV - and FFXIV was the test at 3440x1440. I dropped quite a few frames in 24 man raid situations, but after getting the 1080, and the the default OC applied - it's fucking rock solid, quiet and doesn't budge with every single option maxed out.

Not to mention, I got the 1080 STRIX model, and it runs very, very cool in comparison to my old 980Ti. That alone makes me happy seeing as how NYC summers are humid and nasty.

I'm fuckin ecstatic.

(P.S. - I sold off my 980Ti about two weeks before the 1080 was announced in preparation, so I just paid a slight difference, and it was worth it for me)

I only play The Division and my 1080 SLI has been great. It could be better if i get off my lazy ass and install the EVGA Hybrid kits i got for it.

So, I ended up cancelling my 1080 order. I think I am going to wait until Deus Ex and Forza Horizon 3 are released. I want to know if these games will support SLi or not in DX12. If not, then I might as well wait for 1080 Ti or a Titan X as a single GPU solution. 980 Tis will last until such a time.

Presently there is no game requiring new GPUs from me at 1440P 165 Hz.

Back