Upgrade from 8800 Ultra to 9800GX2?

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
I'm currently running an XFX 8800 Ultra to drive my Westinghouse 24", and using my old 7800GTX to drive my pair of Dell 2005fpw's for a tri-LCD setup. I have the opportunity to upgrade my 8800 Ultra for free to a 9800 GX2. I noticed that the GX2 has two DVI and one HDMI, which in theory would be perfect for driving all three of my monitors on one card. Does anyone know if this is possible or will using the HDMI port disable one DVI port? Also, since the GX2 is SLI on one card, will I have to screw around with enabling and disabling SLI as I switch from Tri-LCD windows mode to gaming on the 24" screen in the middle?

I'm one of the few people who also upgraded from an 8800Ultra to a 9800GX2 (see here). Unfortunately, my Step-Up didn't go as planned (see here). While I'm not sure that you can run a triple monitor setup with all three ports in use, I would assume that it's probably not possible to run three displays on all three connections at the same time. I'm guessing you can run two monitors through the DVI outputs at the same time, but the signal would have to be shut off in order to switch to HDMI. I know for a fact, however, that you'll have to mess with the Nvidia Control Panel SLi settings quite a bit. Here's my take on how it works: You can switch between Multi-display mode and Multi-GPU mode (SLi) without having to restart the computer, but it takes about a minute or so to make the switch. I went into the Nvidia Control Panel to switch from SLi to Multi-display mode and when I hit Apply, a Windows Shut Down window popped up asking me if I wanted to Sleep, Shutdown, Restart, or Hibernate my system. I didn't select anything, as I could see my CPU was at full load, and a few seconds later the window automatically went away and froze up my display for a few seconds. The process followed by blacking out the monitor twice and then giving another full CPU load for another 10 seconds and finally ended with "Would you like to keep these settings?" *clicks Yes*. Just thought I'd point all that out because it might become a hassle down the road.

I do not believe that you can drive three monitors with a 9800 GX2. Also, to drive two monitors you have to diasble SLI. Kyle Bennet said that nVidia told him that dual monitor SLI support would be comming in a future driver release.

I upgraded, have the card in hand, but no video output! Order a new PSU yesterday and now waiting for it. Hopefully it the source of my problem, otherwise I'll guess I'll RMA card. I'm thinking the card is bad because others here say they are using 6 to 8 pin adapters with no problems. I was pretty confident that my CoolerMaster RealPower Pro 850 would have been more than capable, I guess we'll see.

wow, didn't realize switching SLI on and off would take that long...odd. hopefully nvidia fix this in a driver very soon...shocking that you can shell out 600 bucks for a card that doesn't work properly with dual monitors

I do not believe that you can drive three monitors with a 9800 GX2. Also, to drive two monitors you have to diasble SLI. Kyle Bennet said that nVidia told him that dual monitor SLI support would be comming in a future driver release.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/03/18/xfx_geforce_9800_gx2_600m_1gb_graphics_card/7
Rather than just writing a full-blown rant about this, I decided that the best thing to do would be to test it out before going down that route. Now, I know that running three monitors is a niche, but if there are three connectors, you should really be able to use them all. To my surprise, I was able to use all three display outputs at the same time – this went against what Nvidia had said during the briefing, but it really did change my opinion about the card in some respects. Obviously, the driver switch is a pain in the back side and it means that the limitations of SLI are still on full view with this card – in fact, I can see it turning people away from the GeForce 9800 GX2 until the drivers support multi-monitors in SLI mode.

wow, didn't realize switching SLI on and off would take that long...odd. hopefully nvidia fix this in a driver very soon...shocking that you can shell out 600 bucks for a card that doesn't work properly with dual monitors

It's always been that way with dual monitors AFAIK. I used to have 2 7800GTX's in SLI and you could only use 1 of the 4 dvi ports, it was pretty dumb.

I stand corrected I guess. However, if this works then why would nVidia say it dosen't? Too me it is a big plus.

Because nVidia says it dosen't work, that means that it's not supported which means that I wouldn't relie on this feature as it might work now, but who knows when a driver update might break it? Since it's not supported its possible that this could happen.

Good thread, I had my questions about dual display and the GX2 as well. I am very used to dual display on my 8800 Ultra and am not willing to give it up, even for better gaming/benching performance. I really hope Nvidia delivers on this much needed driver update, as ATI managed dual display rather quickly on their Crossfire setups. I too had no clue it would take so long to switch back and forth.

Nvidia has been "promising" to fix this in a driver for 2 years or more. Finally the 3870x2 runs 2 monitors in Xfire smoothly and suddenly Nvidia talks like this was a new item for them to address.

It's high time that SLI works with multiple monitors. There are plenty of folks with a 22-24 main monitor and an older 2nd monitor to the side for sidebars, chats, and system info while gaming. Given their track record I wouldn't touch a GX2 card UNTIL you see WHQL drivers that support this feature. Don't buy the card on a promise, because Nvidia has failed for years to get this working, which is pathetic.

I think I'll probably hold off for a while, I don't feel like sacrificing my multiple monitor setup and screwing around with enabling and disabling SLI depending on what I want to do. It just seems like the 9800GTX should be called the 8850 GX2, it's not a whole new series of card like the 6>7 or 7>8 series jump was, it just seems like its two 8800's strapped together in a jury-rigged SLI. The 7850 GX2 was an extension of the 7 series, they didn't go ahead and call it the 8800 GX2 like the 8 series seems to have done. Any idea on what will be the next single-GPU powerhouse card comparable to my 8800 Ultra?

Yep the dual monitor support is keeping me from attempting any type of sli. Just bought two 24 inch monitors, one to play on, and one to work on. This kills the deal for me.

Nvidia has been "promising" to fix this in a driver for 2 years or more. Finally the 3870x2 runs 2 monitors in Xfire smoothly and suddenly Nvidia talks like this was a new item for them to address.

It's high time that SLI works with multiple monitors. There are plenty of folks with a 22-24 main monitor and an older 2nd monitor to the side for sidebars, chats, and system info while gaming. Given their track record I wouldn't touch a GX2 card UNTIL you see WHQL drivers that support this feature. Don't buy the card on a promise, because Nvidia has failed for years to get this working, which is pathetic.

Yep the dual monitor support is keeping me from attempting any type of sli. Just bought two 24 inch monitors, one to play on, and one to work on. This kills the deal for me.

You guys are both dead on. I too am not putting a penny into this sort of card until I see proof of this happening. If they can deliver as promised they will surely get my money, until then I stick with what I have. I use my second monitor exactly for sidebar, chatting, torrents, temps/volts readings etc and will not give that up for a few fps more in games. I really hope they do come through as ATI definitely has that featire up on them.

this is starting all over again from "7950X2" days.
How so?
9800Gx2/9800GTX is not the last G92 GPU:s like the 7950Gx2 was for its core.
G92b will power 9900-series and 9800GT along with the 9800GTS that is an OEM-only card.
Next core will not be around until fall if my guessing is correct as RV770/4870 is only 50% faster than 3870 as expected by ATI and that is no prooblem for 9800GTX in june when RV7700 is here.
R700/4870X2 during late summer/fall will still only 50% faster than 3870X2 and that is no match for a 9800Gx2 today and 3dmark does not count as reliable or trustworthy benchmark anymore as it is ATI bias and scaling with CPU like hell.
Then we have the driver that ATI still failing to get a good one out something nvida already has acheived to do.
Next gen GT200 won´t be here until nov. or christmast if nvidia is smart and use the potential in G92 to its max. A "nice" rumor at least for me put GT200 in june but that is just as optimistic like saying GT200 will be 9900 in july since that make no scence at all to have a 55nm 9800GT and a 65nm GT200 at the same time.

As for upgrade 8800 Ultra to 9800Gx2 i can only say do it as it is free, i thougt it would not be that mutch difference as it was from an 8800GTX@685/1085 that beats the hell out of a Ultra to a 9800Gx2@stock.

Back