Upgrade from 260 this weekend or wait a month?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
I want to get a new card, minimum 560ti. I was thinking about grabbing a 560ti during black friday or cyber monday, but now I'm not so sure. I need the card by December 16th.

Should I just grab a deal during one of the two sales days or will something good come out of waiting possibly?

Edit: Also, budget is $250 MAX.

The earliest that new cards are going to come out is sometime in January (if even then, since there is no official announcement yet), and no one yet knows whether those cards will be high-end or mid-range - so waiting is kind of a crap shoot. If you can find a good deal on a card soon, and you need to upgrade, probably better to just go ahead and do it.

You could also get another 260 on here or ebay for ~$50 if you play your cards right, and sli 260s should outperform a 560ti AFAIK.

I want to get a new card, minimum 560ti. I was thinking about grabbing a 560ti during black friday or cyber monday, but now I'm not so sure. I need the card by December 16th.

Should I just grab a deal during one of the two sales days or will something good come out of waiting possibly?

Edit: Also, budget is $250 MAX.

There is a new gtx560ti 448 core, 1.25gb of memory, comming on the 29th, I'd wait to see what that brings.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvid...i-448-Cores-Performance-Unveiled-234657.shtml

111.png

Last edited:
Nice chart, I like it when they show everything from 520 to 590, plus the old popular cards like 260 and 9800.

You could also get another 260 on here or ebay for ~$50 if you play your cards right, and sli 260s should outperform a 560ti AFAIK.

That might be a good estimate, but when it comes to Direct X 11...from my experience a 5xx Nvidia series card is a very nice jump up from any DX10 limited card. (Like a 260)

Metro 2033/BF3 for example runs slow on a 260, in SLI it might do if you can handle the downgraded DX9 graphics, and 260 SLI if you don't mind the energy consumption waste and specifically enjoy DX9 games and never plan on enjoying DX 11 PC games. My 2 cents.

I have been playing BF3 on one of the rigs at work with sli 260s, and I am very impressed with how it runs. Granted I dont get all of the dx11 eye candy, but to be honest I cant really tell that much of a difference. Definitely a pretty incredible bang for the buck setup considering it could be replicated for ~$100 with used cards.

The 448 core looks incredibly tempting... I'm gonna see what pops up on black friday/cyber monday.

I considered SLI and it's tempting, but I'd rather stick with a single card solution:
A) My room already gets too hot from my current rig
B) I use the side fan on my case and my current card BARELY fits in
C) I'd rather have a single card that scales perfect with every gave vs. two cards which scale differently depending on the driver support and the game
D) My mobo doesn't even support SLI :p

If I don't see a really compelling deal on one of the two sales days, then I'm just going to wait until the announcement of the new 560ti

Last edited:
I recently upgraded from a 260 gtx to an EVGA superclocked 560ti and am loving it. I spent $249 but it came with a $30 MIR and it also came with Batman: Arkham City. I was able to clock it from a 900 core to a 950 core with only a temp increase of 3-5c (idle temp 55c). Running furmark only pumps the temp up to 80c max after an hour. I am playing Skyrim with video settings set to high(8xAA, 8xAF) at 1900x1200 and I avg about 50-60fps.

I think you would be very happy with a 560ti

I went from a GTX 260 to a 560Ti and it was a nice upgrade, especially for BF3 performance.

I bought one of the reference clocked Gigabyte(cheap model) cards and overclocked it to 950/2100 using Afterburner. A minor voltage bump was required, but this card has the "Ultra Durable VGA" stuff that has top tier memory and voltage circuitry, which really helps.

Like someone already mentioned, the new Ti 560's coming out will be more powerful, with 448 shader cores vs the 384 standard that's being used now. It might be worthwhile to wait and see how pricing is going to be.

This is the card I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

Funny timing, this thread. I'm looking at upgrading from the trusty GTX260 216sp model, to a GTX560Ti, or whatever the new one ends up being. OR, even better scenario is that it drives the prices down on the normal 560Ti's a bit...... looking forward to seeing what develops next week.

My GTX470 (About the same as a 560) runs all the latest and greatest maxed out @ 1920*1200. I'd just buy now.

technically your gtx470 does not run every game "maxed out" at 1920x1200.

Well, runs BF3 maxed out. Runs Batman, and Skyrim maxed out. About the only game I can think of having issues with running maxed out was Metro.

I've just gone from a 260 to a 560ti this week - yes new things might be in a few months, but there's no time like the present.

Only issue I have is pretty annoying coil whine on load (gigabyte OC version), and the card isn't as silent as I had expected. Hardly noticeable with the side panel on, but that's beside the point.
Maybe I just notice it more because my system is pretty quiet overall.

Performance is fantastic compared to the 260, but the coil whine has disappointed me somewhat. I'm now thinking of selling this while the prices are what they are and grabbing a cheap 570 (some pretty nice prices on the well known auction site).

Performance is fantastic compared to the 260, but the coil whine has disappointed me somewhat.
You're the second person with a Gigabyte 560Ti OC that I've heard talk about noisy coils. I don't understand why that's happening..

My 260 216 whines like mad, so that will hardly be different to me :p

So much for a nice black friday price, I'm going to wait and see if prices drop when the new 560ti comes out.

You're the second person with a Gigabyte 560Ti OC that I've heard talk about noisy coils. I don't understand why that's happening..

My 260 216 whines like mad, so that will hardly be different to me :p

So much for a nice black friday price, I'm going to wait and see if prices drop when the new 560ti comes out.

My 260 was silent apart from the fan. :p

The only reason I went for the 560 was due to a good used price. Regretting that a bit now as I've either got to get it replaced (more postage), or sell it and let someone else decide whether to replace or not. :(

i highly doubt highend next gen amds are going to come out by jan. and nvidias wont be out until april

Oooo, that looks like a nice deal on the Gigabyte. If it comes back in stock at that price, I'm just going to get that! I've always stuck by EVGA, but that seems to be better than EVGA's offerings.

I considered the 570 HD but the cooler (which doesn't seem to be as good) would not be good for my room, considering it's frequently around 75+F in my room.

Also I've been reading speculations about the 560ti 448 being around $280... over my budget.

Oooo, that looks like a nice deal on the Gigabyte. If it comes back in stock at that price, I'm just going to get that! I've always stuck by EVGA, but that seems to be better than EVGA's offerings.

I considered the 570 HD but the cooler (which doesn't seem to be as good) would not be good for my room, considering it's frequently around 75+F in my room.

Also I've been reading speculations about the 560ti 448 being around $280... over my budget.
the cooler has nothing to do with how much heat will be going in your room.

the cooler has nothing to do with how much heat will be going in your room.

Oh I know. I meant that since my room tends to be a bit warm, cards that are already more prone to less efficient heating will do even WORSE in my room.

I really like the deal on that Gigabyte one! Hope it comes back in stock soon! :D

Last edited:
back in stock!
just picked 1 up, $199 w/MIR
:D

I missed it again :mad:

I think I'm just not going to upgrade. Considering I'm only gonna be with my desktop for a month, then I'm abandoning it after fall break when I go back to college, it just makes more sense to wait until I'm home next summer for three months and I can get a better card for cheaper then. Not to mention, I only really wanted to upgrade for skyrim, which my 260 seems to be up to the task for already.

Back