Forgot to turn on SLI

To OP get a better Video card ASAP your processor will thank you
A4OQjPH.png

2560x1440

ijyjKVv.png

ijyjKVv.png

Last edited:
I would very much agree on this statement
Yea, reading that it makes a much bigger difference in those tough spots where you could potentially see a drop in FPS ruining the experience. Has me thinking again about updating my system from a 2600k.

In a few months you should throw some Pascal power in there and really reap the benefits....

Yea, reading that it makes a much bigger difference in those tough spots where you could potentially see a drop in FPS ruining the experience. Has me thinking again about updating my system from a 2600k.

Or hang on for Kaby Lake if you're not terribly unhappy with currently performance. Skylake is already 6-7 months old and still above MSRP.

Just overclock what you have until some better stuff comes along....save your money and treat yourself to one of those new cards coming out

You already own DDR 3 you should just , haswell will make a difference alone especially if you like emulation dolphin , ps2 etc.
To me skylake is a waste of cash right now unless you like type c , and all those new fancy connectors. Personally i am waiting for the next revision to come and that wont be until after pascal is released this summer. I feel I am not missing anything with skylake vs a highly overclocked haswell.
Just overclock what you have until some better stuff comes along....save your money and treat yourself to one of those new cards coming out

Haswell boards are marked down and so is 5820k X99 .. If i were to make a jump from 2600k to a new cpu/mobo id go with the 5820k and put a nice H110 or kraken on the cpu and overclock it

get a bluray burner and encode my own discs

You already own DDR 3 you should just , haswell will make a difference alone especially if you like emulation dolphin , ps2 etc.
To me skylake is a waste of cash right now unless you like type c , and all those new fancy connectors. Personally i am waiting for the next revision to come and that wont be until after pascal is released this summer. I feel I am not missing anything with skylake vs a highly overclocked haswell.

Haswell boards are marked down and so is 5820k X99 .. If i were to make a jump from 2600k to a new cpu/mobo id go with the 5820k and put a nice H110 or kraken on the cpu and overclock it

If I went down the X99 path how much longer will the 2011 / X99 be usable? Or I guess the better question would be will the next refresh include another 2011v3 chip or will I then be forced into another Mobo change in the near future. Gonna start researching I guess and then probably end up waiting for the new GPU's and then do a CPU upgrade after that due to being so close to new releases.

If I went down the X99 path how much longer will the 2011 / X99 be usable? Or I guess the better question would be will the next refresh include another 2011v3 chip or will I then be forced into another Mobo change in the near future. Gonna start researching I guess and then probably end up waiting for the new GPU's and then do a CPU upgrade after that due to being so close to new releases.

X99 still have Broadwell-E as update path.. which is rumored to be launched in Q3 this year..

X99 is still a fairly impressive system, its only real draw backs is being stuck on a DMI2.0 link and lack of USB 3.1 support. Both of which aren't terrible draw backs.

This has been a good read..Ive been contemplating updating from my 2600K system , but it does not look like its the right time as I really dont play any demanding games...I guess Ill just keep my money for a while longer..
My system consists of a 2600K @4.6 on a P8P67 with 16Gb ram and a 980GTX, which for my use is working just fine.

I guess I'll have to waste money on my motorcycle instead..:)

This has been a good read..Ive been contemplating updating from my 2600K system , but it does not look like its the right time as I really dont play any demanding games...I guess Ill just keep my money for a while longer..
My system consists of a 2600K @4.6 on a P8P67 with 16Gb ram and a 980GTX, which for my use is working just fine.

I've got few fancy systems at home and yet end up doing my work on i3-3225 with 16GB, Asus P8P67 Deluxe and two 3007 WFP-HC. I guess I'm not moving fast enough with times or old tech was better.

These "I love my 2500K I will stick with it my whole life" cheap skids are everywhere on tech forums, even on reddit. Their collective denial IMO is not based on facts and logic, but on emotion. They can't afford to upgrade so they use myths like skylake has no improvement in games to make themselves feel better, to justify their behavior.
I can only speak for myself of course, but you are grossly misinterpreting the reason I have not upgraded from my 2500k. It is neither that I can't afford to, nor that I believe a 6700k is inferior or equal to my 2500k across the board. The real reason is that it makes absolutely no sense to bother upgrading my CPU / motherboard / RAM combo when: 1. I'm gaming at 1080 and literally none of the games are CPU bound at that res with a gtx 750 and 2. The far superior bang for the buck upgrade for me would be something like a gtx 950 or 960 - an upgrade that would cost a fraction of the cost of a 6700k upgrade and would yield WAY more in terms of fps.

I can only speak for myself of course, but you are grossly misinterpreting the reason I have not upgraded from my 2500k. It is neither that I can't afford to, nor that I believe a 6700k is inferior or equal to my 2500k across the board. The real reason is that it makes absolutely no sense to bother upgrading my CPU / motherboard / RAM combo when: 1. I'm gaming at 1080 and literally none of the games are CPU bound at that res with a gtx 750 and 2. The far superior bang for the buck upgrade for me would be something like a gtx 950 or 960 - an upgrade that would cost a fraction of the cost of a 6700k upgrade and would yield WAY more in terms of fps.

Good points.

Yeah, that would be the best option in my opinion as well. I went from an FX 8350 to a 6700k and I do like it somewhat. However, I could have done without the cutting edge issues of memory compatibility and firmware so I wish I had gone with a 5820k as well. It was an impulse buy last September though so, I have what I have.

When you talk minimum fps, you really need to show a chart with % of frames.

These "I love my 2500K I will stick with it my whole life" cheap skids are everywhere on tech forums, even on reddit. Their collective denial IMO is not based on facts and logic, but on emotion. They can't afford to upgrade so they use myths like skylake has no improvement in games to make themselves feel better, to justify their behavior.

Your post reeks of arrogance and small mindedness. And I'm pretty sure you don't have access or the ability to understand everyone's personal financial situation or goals.

I was one of those guys rocking his 2500k for the past 4+ years, I recently built a new system around an MSI M5 with a 6600k, my main reason was getting the advances in motherboard chipset features, and not CPU benefits. For the level of gaming I enjoy a 2500k overclocked will feed and keep up with quite a bit today. Not a small feat for something 1/2 a decade old.

You sound like the kid who equates his E-peen with his wallet. If you honestly think you are superior or cooler because you spent more, then you should probably sign up for the Alienware newsletter. Be careful though, don't run up too big of a bill or dad might get pissed you maxxing out his credit cards.

Well since amd people aren't worth fighting anymore since they haven't been relevant in 5 years. It's time to feast among ourselves as Intel users. :)

Truth be told I have noticed a small pack of i-2500k is still just as good people. They find it hard to accept that it's just as good but it's still great.

I think 90% of people who still use over clocked 2500k are reasonable people who know they don't have the best computer but still happy with how it performs. The rare few who thinks that there's no improvement in Skylake though do need to stop kidding themselves.

I'm still hanging on to an overclocked 2500K. Recently upgraded from a 570 to 970 and the system feels like new again. Could easily afford upgrading the processor/RAM, but if my current rig is more than good enough, why? I'll get at least another year or 2 out of it

I still have my 2500k overclocked and it still gets the job done. Could I upgrade? Sure, but I would need to not only upgrade the CPU and Motherboard but the RAM as well.... so it all adds up for ~10fps-~15fps increase. A lot of money per fps

its worth it to dump that processor before it drops even more, after you resell your mobo and cpu you can easily upgrade for less than 100 bucks to get more than 15%. Haswell and skylake is a huge improvement on dolphin emulator and min and average fps

I want to upgrade my haswell to skylake but i cant seem to find a comparable mother board compared to my asus maximus VII on skylake unless i spend 200 -400. Not many boards have 10 sata 6gbs ports :( and 8 usb 3.0 ports.

I feel the same way about skylake right now vs my haswell. I think skylake has about a 6-7% increase in speed in dolphin wii emulator. Still like you were saying its probably best to put your money into a better video card if you are strap for cash. Overall though i was happy to transition to haswell over an i5 2500k and even a 3770k ,
btw 4790k i7 with 4 virtual threads helps alot with windows productivity and games. Just overall feels snappier. Might not do alot in some games but its worth the price to purchase over a i5.

I for one will never be buying an i5 processor again unless its for a real budget computer. The future is multiple PCI lanes , 6 cores+ Skylake-E might be the best upgrade for now since i am going to have to move to DDR 4 anyway

Pretty much in the same boat. I have decided not to upgrade until the next round and the next thing I do is look to other items I can buy with the money I'm not spending. Reading up on DLP Projectors now.

Yes, this thread has been a real good read and helped me decide on waiting a little bit before upgrading. Like some of you with SB, I have a 2600k @ 4.6 16gb 980 Ti FTW SLI running on a Dell U3415W and have been looking into upgrading to the latest Skylake or 5930k for 6 cores but I think I'm going to wait until the next Skylake-E is released.

good read, i'm looking to upgrade my i5-2500K in the next few months. The Division really shows the age of my cpu. i'm looking at i7-6700K, i7-5820K, or i7-6800K (Broadwell-E) if the rumors of 6C/12T ~$390 USD are true.

good read, i'm looking to upgrade my i5-2500K in the next few months. The Division really shows the age of my cpu. i'm looking at i7-6700K, i7-5820K, or i7-6800K (Broadwell-E) if the rumors of 6C/12T ~$390 USD are true.

Yeap, Division and Star Citizen exposed mine

you also need to keep ram speeds in mind when comparing sandy to skylake
1600c9 to 2133c9 can add ~10% cpu performance to sandy just as 2133c15 to 3000 c15 can add ~10% to skylake
so when your looking at a review that use 1600 for sandy and 3000 for skylake thats a 20% advantage right there
misterbobby links show even larger gains than that

so if you have crap ram and like to oc then 1151\2011-3 become more tempting upgrade options than if you already have good ram

as for the op i have to agree with others that it looks like pci-e 2.0 8x is holding back sli a little in those largely gpu bottlnecked tests

those ht tests from oc.net are interesting
i know crysis 3 sees large gains on one level where its only optimized for a cpu with over 8 threads not one with 4 swap to another level thats only optimized for 4 threads and you will see no gain from ht in crysis despite it being cpu bottlnecked
but i didnt expect to see such large gains in a few other games best i have seen in a properly muiltithreaded game with a 3770k is ~5%

here is another look at ht where its dropping performance as much as its improving it but they may be gpu bottlnecked hard to know without different clock speed or res tested
Gaming benchmarks: Skylake Core i7 hyperthreading test

ht tests i ran on dragonage 3 (Frostbite 3 Engine) with a 3770k at different clock\ram speeds
HT vs Ram in Game Benchmark - AnandTech Forums
Dragonage%203770k%20ht%20vs%20ram_zpscgwdojlu.png

Last edited:
I still have my 2500k overclocked and it still gets the job done. Could I upgrade? Sure, but I would need to not only upgrade the CPU and Motherboard but the RAM as well.... so it all adds up for ~10fps-~15fps increase. A lot of money per fps
I don't think it's worth upgrading until the stock speeds on new cpus give a large performance increase over your current cpu overclocked.
"Upgrading" to a new cpu and having to still overclock it to match the old one isn't much a upgrade to me. It's even a bit of a risk because you could end up losing the OC lottery.

I don't think it's worth upgrading until the stock speeds on new cpus give a large performance increase over your current cpu overclocked.
"Upgrading" to a new cpu and having to still overclock it to match the old one isn't much a upgrade to me. It's even a bit of a risk because you could end up losing the OC lottery.

and that's what skylake just mean for sandy bridge users.. a 6600K at stock speed its a big upgrade over any other 4.5-4.6ghz 2500K.. and 6700K its even greater the difference due to higher stock speed, so what's the thing? you need a 4.8ghz+ 2600K to be at stock 6700K levels, that's just a lot..

on the other hand 10-15FPS increase is a serious thing and massive improvement as it can mean from 45FPS average to 60FPS average. or 45 minimum fps to 60 minimum fps and generally this can mean an even more increased average FPS for all of those who like to keep 60fps as minimum and those who like to play at 100+FPS

Bad decision

Get it while you can BOYS

SuperCombo Upgrade Pack: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon 3.5GHz Quad-Core CPU + ASUS Z8-A NFC Express Edition MOBO + G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB MEM
Limited time Shell Shocker® deal

SHELL SHOCKER DEAL: The sale price is valid from 12:01 AM PT to 11:59 PM PT on Thursday, February 25th, 2016.

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Whoever is sporting a 2500-2600 or even a 3770k , sell the mobo and processor and this upgrade will cost you 50 bucks

for 20%-30% speed bump

Last edited:
and that's what skylake just mean for sandy bridge users.. a 6600K at stock speed its a big upgrade over any other 4.5-4.6ghz 2500K.. and 6700K its even greater the difference due to higher stock speed, so what's the thing? you need a 4.8ghz+ 2600K to be at stock 6700K levels, that's just a lot..

on the other hand 10-15FPS increase is a serious thing and massive improvement as it can mean from 45FPS average to 60FPS average. or 45 minimum fps to 60 minimum fps and generally this can mean an even more increased average FPS for all of those who like to keep 60fps as minimum and those who like to play at 100+FPS

I am at 4.9 ghz 1.375 volts kraken cooler , I have researched the hell out of skylake and unless you want all the fancy features on the new mobos which i dont i dont think 1-3 fps min/avg is going to ruin my day not going to the the 6700k. On the other hand if i was still running a 2500k or a sandy/ivy bridge hell yes upgrade. The difference is night and day when running emulators PCX2 /ps2 or wii emulation especially at 2560x1440 i get about 55+ FPS in games. I just remember sandy and Ivy having major issues with this software .Also like everyone else mentioned your min/avg/max FPS jumps alot depending on your video card. I just understand how anyone can be happy sporting a 2500-2600k processor unless you play games on a 1080p monitor .

Bad decision

Get it while you can BOYS
SuperCombo Upgrade Pack: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon 3.5GHz Quad-Core CPU + ASUS Z8-A NFC Express Edition MOBO + G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB MEM
Limited time Shell Shocker® deal

SHELL SHOCKER DEAL: The sale price is valid from 12:01 AM PT to 11:59 PM PT on Thursday, February 25th, 2016.

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

You should probably post this in the deals section.

Well, you'll need a second stick of ram for that deal.

you can run the ram at 1600mhz and just reuse your old sticks . If you are not running 8gb sticks in 2016 then i feel sorry for you and yeah you probably should just stick with the system you have until you have money to afford 20-25 bucks for another stick

I am at 4.9 ghz 1.375 volts kraken cooler , I have researched the hell out of skylake and unless you want all the fancy features on the new mobos which i dont i dont think 1-3 fps min/avg is going to ruin my day not going to the the 6700k. On the other hand if i was still running a 2500k or a sandy/ivy bridge hell yes upgrade. The difference is night and day when running emulators PCX2 /ps2 or wii emulation especially at 2560x1440 i get about 55+ FPS in games. I just remember sandy and Ivy having major issues with this software .Also like everyone else mentioned your min/avg/max FPS jumps alot depending on your video card. I just understand how anyone can be happy sporting a 2500-2600k processor unless you play games on a 1080p monitor .

all the way around, the lower resolution the higher need for a faster CPU because it will take longer to reach GPU bound scenarios, which can be achieved faster at 2K or 4K resolution. so people at 1080P running 2500K and 2600K are who have to be worry about lack of performance, specially 2500K users.. as 2600K at least have 4 extra threads to help in most of the recent games, so yes, we finally reach the era of the death of the legendary 2500K, the 2600K can stretch a bit more the legs however is also showing the age... in your case, at 4.9ghz you have no reason really to jump to skylake and that will probably be maintained up to cannon-lake or even more...

you also need to keep ram speeds in mind when comparing sandy to skylake
1600c9 to 2133c9 can add ~10% cpu performance to sandy just as 2133c15 to 3000 c15 can add ~10% to skylake
so when your looking at a review that use 1600 for sandy and 3000 for skylake thats a 20% advantage right there
misterbobby links show even larger gains than that

so if you have crap ram and like to oc then 1151\2011-3 become more tempting upgrade options than if you already have good ram

as for the op i have to agree with others that it looks like pci-e 2.0 8x is holding back sli a little in those largely gpu bottlnecked tests

those ht tests from oc.net are interesting
i know crysis 3 sees large gains on one level where its only optimized for a cpu with over 8 threads not one with 4 swap to another level thats only optimized for 4 threads and you will see no gain from ht in crysis despite it being cpu bottlnecked
but i didnt expect to see such large gains in a few other games best i have seen in a properly muiltithreaded game with a 3770k is ~5%

here is another look at ht where its dropping performance as much as its improving it but they may be gpu bottlnecked hard to know without different clock speed or res tested
Gaming benchmarks: Skylake Core i7 hyperthreading test

ht tests i ran on dragonage 3 (Frostbite 3 Engine) with a 3770k at different clock\ram speeds
HT vs Ram in Game Benchmark - AnandTech Forums

That RAM chart is very interesting to me. I run a 3770K at 4.5GHz but RAM is just at stock DDR3-1600. Those are HUGE frame rate increases from just a RAM bump to 2133. If DDR3 prices come down some more I would consider an upgrade if it makes that much of a difference.

That RAM chart is very interesting to me. I run a 3770K at 4.5GHz but RAM is just at stock DDR3-1600. Those are HUGE frame rate increases from just a RAM bump to 2133. If DDR3 prices come down some more I would consider an upgrade if it makes that much of a difference.

I overclocked mine to 2000Mhz.

I'm really surprised by those Ram speed results.

I experience no discernable difference in FPS between 1333Mhz and 1866Mhz. Timings (Forcing 7-7-7-IT) had a bigger difference in benchmarks, and even then, it was like an extra 100pts in Firestrike physics.

Edit: Also as an extension to a post I made earlier in this thread, I have extensively tested both systems in my sig to see which would make the better gaming computer, and there is honestly no difference between overclocked Westmere and Haswell). While I haven't measured FPS minimums, the averages between the two are within +/- 2% of one another.

I switched between DDR3 1600 and 2200 (2400MHz ram but on SB so 2200MHz max).
No difference at all in any game, and I looked very hard.
This was on a 2500K at 4.5GHz with a 290x.

Back