Upgrade from 2500k to 2600k?

Godinster

n00b
So I built a rig a few months ago with a 2500k/P8P67 Pro/HD6950/etc etc etc. I just took a look at the Retail Edge website for Intel [a site for people in the business at certain retailers] and there's a 2600k for $99 plus shipping [about $40]. I'm about half tempted to order the 2600k and sell the 2500k I currently have for $180-200ish if I can get that for it. I realize the upgrade is marginal but it seems almost like it's too good of a deal to pass up. I also just bought a 120 gig Vertex 2 for $169 thinking I got a decent deal and here they have the 160 Intel 320 series SSD for $200. Dammit.

Would this be a dumb idea? I realize it's a pretty silly question and the 2600k is hardly an upgrade but I don't plan on upgrading my rig for another 3-4ish years and I can't imagine games won't eventually start using the extra threads sooner or later.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Buy the i7 for $140 and sell the i5 cor $140 and seems to me you'd be set. Wouldn't cost you anything but the time involved in swapping them out.

With these prices I would do it. You may be able to sell the i5 2500K for a little more than you pay for the i7 2600K.

I upgraded from a 2500k to a 2600k for around a 30 dollar difference in the end. I did not notice any performance difference, but I figured for 30 bucks... why not.

$40 for shipping? does it come delivered to your door in an armored truck?

I can't imagine why not if you will break even (or even profit) from it. Otherwise you can get the chip and resell it for $250+ and make even more money. You won't notice much performance difference outside of benchmarks or multi-threaded apps.

it might be worth it

depending on what you planning on doing it, as you mention you won't be upgrading to 3-4 years then I say go for it. that is what I did when doing my build

Back