Upgrade for an old machine

Liqq

Limp Gawd
I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the 8800 GTX that's in my daughters machine for Guildwars 2. I noticed pretty nasty frame drops when we were playing last week during beta 3, and was thinking about tossing a little help her way. The rest of the machine is a c2d 6750 with 4 gig of ram on Vista 64. I don't really want to upgrade a bunch of stuff, since I'll be doing a new machine for myself next year I'll just give her my i7 930 setup then.

I guess what I'm asking is what would be a good little upgrade from an 8800 GTX without the 6750 being a huge bottleneck?

Used GTX 460 would be a good choice or maybe a used 6850/70.

ehh, I kinda want to stick with nvidia. Sorry I didn't mention it before. Would say a 550ti be a total waste of a card on it?

maybe around $125-150 or so and the wife won't put me in the hospital.

since you want only nvidia,you dont have much options atm.a 460gtx would be a good upgrade though from your 8800.or else u can wait for the nvidia 600 series mid range cards which is expected to get released next month

I can do a 560ti for 175$ shipped to you as long as you don live in hawaii or alaska

I really didn't want to spend that much, thanks anyways. I'll probably end up going 550ti unless someone has a better idea.

Used 560ti is a good plan, if you also went quad core that machine would have a longer life span but the price should be right if you do any upgrades.

Yeah, I thought about adding a quadcore to it at one time like a q9650, but I don't think the motherboard supported it or something.

Thanks for the link Dookey, I'm going to shoot that seller a pm right now.

edit...grabbed the 550ti out of the fs section. It should last her until I give her this machine, thanks for the help all!

Last edited:
Back