Upgrade for Abit KT7-RAID. Can I use a AMD 2400+ XP?

Krazy_Joe

Limp Gawd
I have a kt7-raid by abit. I was wondering if I could upgrade the processor from the 1.1 ghz I have now... to a XP 2400+ ? the official support on this board is up to 1400 which wouldnt be worth the upgrade. My bus has increments up to 150 i believe so I would think that it could support it? The only thing i see is that the multiplier only goes to 12. But if the processor has a multiplier lock wouldnt it still work and then I could just set the FSB to 133mhz?

only kt7a version 1.3 and beyond allow athlon xp. some users report earlier versions working i believe, but i wouldn't count on it.

Actually I beleive all versions of the KT7A support XP processors. Until very recently I was running a TBred 2400+ @ 2.2GHz on my v1.1 KT7A-Raid. There are numerous threads about this at Abit's forums.

All Athlon XP 2400+ processors are of either the Thoroughbred core or the Thorton core. Unfortunately, the KT7A, even Version 1.3, does not officially support Thoroughbred-core CPUs faster than a 2000+, nor does it officially support any Thorton-core CPUs at all. And its support for a 2100+ is limited to Palomino-core CPUs (although Thoroughbred-core 2100+ CPUs do exist).

well darnit! Are you sure that it wouldnt work? Would the system just be unstable? Would the multiplier be found? Would it force me to underclock the processors FSB speed to 100mhz. Im sure it would at least hit 115 since i have used it on my 1.1ghz and its very stable. Damnit, a 2400+ only cost 60 bucks! I would really like the upgrade without changing the system. I wont be getting a new computer till next year. :mad:

I just want some DOOM III and Half-life action :D

Krazy_Joe said:
well darnit! Are you sure that it wouldnt work? Would the system just be unstable? Would the multiplier be found? Would it force me to underclock the processors FSB speed to 100mhz. Im sure it would at least hit 115 since i have used it on my 1.1ghz and its very stable. Damnit, a 2400+ only cost 60 bucks! I would really like the upgrade without changing the system. I wont be getting a new computer till next year. :mad:

I just want some DOOM III and Half-life action :D
You thought correctly. Your KT7-RAID only supports 100MHz FSB CPUs - and it cannot be set reliably to operate at an FSB speed above about 110MHz. But all Athlon XP CPUs require at least official 133MHz FSB support just to even operate at all. And with that KT7 (non-A), if you put a 2400+, it will likely not even boot at all (due to the fact that it's completely unsupported by that mobo) - instead, it will just sit at a blank screen.

Doom III and Half-Life2 requires at least a 1.5GHz CPU to even run at all - but your motherboard cannot support any CPUs faster than 1.4GHz.

i think i read somewhere in the forums that a guy used an xp on his and it worked fine because the processor has built in multiplier and its automatically detected. He said the problem is with the unlocked processors and not being able to select the proper multiplier. He also said that he had the same problem with an intel motherboard by abit yet he did the same and it worked fine. i guess the only problem would be getting the FSB to clock up to 133mhz. What do you guys think? Also, i was looking on the internet and one guy used a 180 ohm resistor and saudered it to 2 back pins on the motherboard to unlock other multiplier speeds.

E4g1e said:
You thought correctly. Your KT7-RAID only supports 100MHz FSB CPUs - and it cannot be set reliably to operate at an FSB speed above about 110MHz. But all Athlon XP CPUs require at least official 133MHz FSB support just to even operate at all. And with that KT7 (non-A), if you put a 2400+, it will likely not even boot at all (due to the fact that it's completely unsupported by that mobo) - instead, it will just sit at a blank screen.

Doom III and Half-Life2 requires at least a 1.5GHz CPU to even run at all - but your motherboard cannot support any CPUs faster than 1.4GHz.

Well that sux! is there any way i could mod the motherboard?

Krazy_Joe said:
i think i read somewhere in the forums that a guy used an xp on his and it worked fine because the processor has built in multiplier and its automatically detected. He said the problem is with the unlocked processors and not being able to select the proper multiplier. He also said that he had the same problem with an intel motherboard by abit yet he did the same and it worked fine. i guess the only problem would be getting the FSB to clock up to 133mhz. What do you guys think? Also, i was looking on the internet and one guy used a 180 ohm resistor and saudered it to 2 back pins on the motherboard to unlock other multiplier speeds.
See my previous post above. You have the non-A version of the KT7-RAID, which will not support any Athlon XP CPUs at all, even after modding. The limitations are due to the non-A KT133 chipset, which doesn't run at all stable above about a 110MHz FSB, even when manually set.

You might have confused the KT7-RAID with the KT7A-RAID. They're both completely different motherboards (though they look almost identical), with completely different chipsets.

But all Athlon XP CPUs require at least official 133MHz FSB support just to even operate at all. And with that KT7 (non-A), if you put a 2400+, it will likely not even boot at all (due to the fact that it's completely unsupported by that mobo) - instead, it will just sit at a blank screen.
otoh, mobiles run at a default of 100fsb. rogue_jedi's is "stock" at 5x100. if this board has 5-bit multiplier encoding (look around...?) then you could run it at like 20x100 or something.

unhappy_mage said:
otoh, mobiles run at a default of 100fsb. rogue_jedi's is "stock" at 5x100. if this board has 5-bit multiplier encoding (look around...?) then you could run it at like 20x100 or something.

the multiplier only goes to 12.5 :(

i might have to get a cheap mobo & processor combo. Anyone know where i could get a 2400+ or 2600+ with mobo for 100 bucks? Microcenter has a crappy motherboard with 2400 for 99. if only there was more than 2 dimm slots, bah humbug :p

Back