Upgrade: D-545 to A610?

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
Hello, I am photography noob and am looking to upgrade my digital camera. I currently have an Olympus D-545Z and am looking to get something a little bit nicer. I was told to look at the Cannon A610 as a possible upgrade. I am wondering A. is this is an accurate suggestion? and B. is it worth spending a little more $ and getting the A620?

My uses are very basic, around the house, occasional close up of computer parts, nothing hardcore.

I would like the budget to stay around $250ish, but that can sway.

Thanks for any info/support it is much appreciated :D.

The A610 and the A620 are essentially the same camera only with different number of megapixels and burst shooting modes. 5MP should be enough for your general usage, so no need to pay more for bigger images. I think it would be a nice upgrade from your D-545; the A610 has plenty of manual options, a good 4x zoom lens, and a tilt LCD.

Review here
Sample photos here

I will most likely go with the A610, but I was wondering what you think of the Canon S2 IS? I found a buyer for my Z545 so I have $75 going towards either camera. Thanks again, the help is much appreciated :D.

Do you think it is worth spending the extra $ to buy the S2 IS over the A610, or is that going to be overkill for a basic, basic user?

Thanks again.

The only real benefit with the S2IS is the super zoom lens with image stabilizer. The A610 has pretty much the same feature set plus a bigger LCD screen. So unless you're going to be shooting things far away, I recommend you stick with the A610.

I ordered the A610 last night with a 1gb PNY sd card.

Thanks for the help/ input is is much appreciated. :)

Back