UPGRADE 5930K to 5960X or Xeon make a difference for gaming

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
Would love to know if this change would push gaming where it needs to be. I have a feeling is see 0 difference.

Now is the time to trade that 5930K in on Ebay for a 5960X. Its what i did 6 months ago. Cheap upgrade.
For games I feel I won't see any improvement over my 5930k. What type of improvement are you seeing? My 3090 runs Cod black ops 4k at 110 fps. With RTS it drops to 80. If a 5960x would push it to 120 gsync on my 4k 55 LG CX I'd see that being worth it. My gut says it won't make a difference though 🤷‍♂️ thoughts?

Last edited:

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Would love to know if this change would push gaming where it needs to be. I have a feeling is see 0 difference.

I've thought about it but aren't they $300-700? For games I feel I won't see any improvement over my 5930k. What type of improvement are you seeing? My 3090 runs Cod black ops 4k at 110 fps. With RTS it drops to 80. If a 5960x would push it to 120 gsync on my 4k 55 LG CX I'd see that being worth it. My gut says it won't make a difference though 🤷‍♂️ thoughts?

The 5960X has 2 more cores, 4 more threads and 5MB more cache, but games rarely use more cores than you have currently. We are starting to see games that benefit from going beyond 6 cores, but they are rare. Cyberpunk 2077 being one of the few that do. Frostbite games can as well, but your primarily GPU limited at 4K. The cache would be nice, but it's not going to make a massive difference in your frame rates.

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
The 5960X has 2 more cores, 4 more threads and 5MB more cache, but games rarely use more cores than you have currently. We are starting to see games that benefit from going beyond 6 cores, but they are rare. Cyberpunk 2077 being one of the few that do. Frostbite games can as well, but your primarily GPU limited at 4K. The cache would be nice, but it's not going to make a massive difference in your frame rates.
That's what I thought, wonder if anyone here has benched it with a 3090

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
That's what I thought, wonder if anyone here has benched it with a 3090

Probably not. Most of the guys buying RTX 3090's are running at least a 9900K with it. I suspect a fair portion of the people that have an RTX 3090 are probably running either a 10900K/10850K or a Ryzen 7/9 5000 series CPU. A lot of the people who buy $1,500 GPU's are probably the same people that always run the latest motherboards and CPU's. I'm sure there are exceptions like yourself, but the vast majority of enthusiasts who would buy an RTX 3090 over a 3080 or something else are likely the type to upgrade everything fairly often.

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness

For games I feel I won't see any improvement over my 5930k. What type of improvement are you seeing? My 3090 runs Cod black ops 4k at 110 fps. With RTS it drops to 80. If a 5960x would push it to 120 gsync on my 4k 55 LG CX I'd see that being worth it. My gut says it won't make a difference though 🤷‍♂️ thoughts?

You got the V6...but are you man enough for the V8?;):D Look at the end of the day when you hand that X99 rig on or sell it you'll have it running with one of the best CPU options it can have. As I said elsewhere, it's not that expensive to do. In the few benches I did (I'm not big into them, I have a life) I was getting around a 20% or so boost over my 5820K running at 4.4GHz. I don't have any records but it was significant for the low outlay.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
You got the V6...but are you man enough for the V8?;):D Look at the end of the day when you hand that X99 rig on or sell it you'll have it running with one of the best CPU options it can have. As I said elsewhere, it's not that expensive to do. In the few benches I did (I'm not big into them, I have a life) I was getting around a 20% or so boost over my 5820K running at 4.4GHz. I don't have any records but it was significant for the low outlay.

This is such bullshit. Through and through. Perhaps some benchmarks showed an improvement, but in games, he's not going to see a 20% increase. That's just not going to happen.

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
I would just save the money and put it towards a future platform upgrade.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
In the few benches I did (I'm not big into them, I have a life) I was getting around a 20% or so boost over my 5820K running at 4.4GHz. I don't have any records but it was significant for the low outlay.

When I upgraded from my 5820k @ 4.5Ghz to my 3900X I more than doubled the numbers on many synthetic benchmarks that are unrealistically multi-threaded such as cinebench, etc. Gaming performance difference was tiny.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
When I upgraded from my 5820k @ 4.5Ghz to my 3900X I more than doubled the numbers on many synthetic benchmarks that are unrealistically multi-threaded such as cinebench, etc. Gaming performance difference was tiny.

I ran a Core i7 5960X for almost five years. "Upgrading" to a AMD Threadripper 2920X was similar for me. I had huge increases in benchmark scores, but gaming performance was either the same or worse. After that, I jumped to a 9900K.

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
Are the Broadwell based i7-6000 series significantly better? E.g. the 6900K is like ~$200 on eBay.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Are the Broadwell based i7-6000 series significantly better? E.g. the 6900K is like ~$200 on eBay.

No, they are not at all. Their IPC is slightly better but they also don't clock as well as the Haswell-E CPU's do. For example: The 5960X could clock to 4.4GHz or 4.5GHz. The 6950X could only clock to 4.3GHz and that being safe is debatable as both Kyle and I degraded a couple these by doing that. It took about the same time as well. Realistically, with less voltage and avoiding degradation these are probably only really capable of 4.2GHz, maybe less. Basically, due to the clock speeds falling slightly, the IPC gains were a wash. The CPU's with identical core counts and cache perform functionally the same. Broadwell-E is a different architecture, so it might do better in a couple of benchmarks and worse than others, but when we reviewed the 6950X, it was a dud. It was no better than the 5960X it replaced as far as gaming was concerned. There were people who liked them because they had two more physical cores, and that was valid for applications that could leverage them. That's the only time the loss in clock speed, higher temps, etc. was worth it.

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
This is such bullshit. Through and through. Perhaps some benchmarks showed an improvement, but in games, he's not going to see a 20% increase. That's just not going to happen.

Okay....like that was uncalled for. :unsure: This is meant to be fun. Just a cheap upgrade. Never said I ran games.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Okay....like that was uncalled for. :unsure: This is meant to be fun. Just a cheap upgrade. Never said I ran games.

There probably is a 20 percent increase in application benchmarks, but not n gaming. It's fun and all but not if it leads to this guy buying something and being disappointed in it.

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
There probably is a 20 percent increase in application benchmarks, but not n gaming. It's fun and all but not if it leads to this guy buying something and being disappointed in it.

It's like a hundred bucks maybe after selling off the old chip. Compared to most of the overpriced crap and dumb ideas I've seen pushed on Hardforum over the years, it's hardly a huge deal or a terrible idea.:rolleyes:

At least you can buy a 5960X...

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
If you're not planning to invest in a new platform for a few years a 5960x would be a solid upgrade. I'd skip broadwell to be honest they overclock like garbage and aren't really much faster at the same clock speed since their mesh doesn't seem to overclock as well either. I don't play either of the games you mentioned so I can't really say how the performance would be different if any.