Updating to play BF1

Badcop1124

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I been using the rigs in my signature for a while now thanks to the help I got here.

It seems like it's time move on so I can play BF1. Still play WoW as well.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, web browsing, very light photoshop

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$700 each build doing 2 of the same build so my son and I can play

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Boston, MA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mother Board, CPU, RAM, 500gb SSD

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Build #1 will be reusing: SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU, CoolerMaster HAF 922 mid tower, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus and MSI R9 380 Gaming 4G

Build #2 will be reusing: PC Power and Cooling S75QB 750W PSU, CoolerMaster Cosmos S / CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus and MSI R9 380 Gaming 4G

6) Will you be overclocking?
Have never done it, but I like having the option.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Acer H233H 1920x1080 23"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This week or next.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothing that I can think of...at the moment.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I already have Windows 10 licenses for both.

I was looking at the Gigabyte X170X Ultra Gaming and Intel i7 6700k my local Micro Center in Cambridge MA. I liked that this mobo had the Intel LAN.

I was thinking of getting 16 Gb of RAM (2x8).

Obviously RAM will be selected from compatibility list (GSKILL has always worked for me without a fuss). Would like to keep it at around $700 as I will be doing 2 of these builds.

This is what I was thinking: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hpZnyf

$750 at my local MicroCenter. MicroCenter doesn't carry GSKILL RAM (my favorite brand RAM)

Does anyone see any issues (bottlenecking and RAM selection confuses me still) with reusing the MSI R9 380 Gaming 4G or any of the other parts? Better RAM suggestion?

Any suggestions on components or anything are greatly appreciated. Not sure where the correct place to post this. I also posted in PC Hound section. Mods please move or combine if needed.

Thanks again for your help in my quest!

Edited to include needed info for recommendations.

Last edited:
Is that an m2 850 Evo, or a 960 Evo? If 850, why M2? There's no noticeable performance difference between the two.

Are you overclocking?

How much ram?

You need to be more specific about your build if you want any help :D

Yeah, that price on the 6700k is hard to pass up, that's i5 money anywhere else :d

Nothing will exceed the performance of Skylake for at least two years, so upgrading now to 8 threads and very high stock clocks is the right call.

The 850 EVO 500 is a fantastic drive, but overpriced today. You can get an MX300 525GB drive for around $30 less, and it has similar performance. Only 3-year warranty, but I find most things that die tend to die inside 2 years, or make it past five.

Back