Updating the old FAH clients...

velusip

[H]ard|Gawd
Thought I would mention how I fixed a little "Could not connect to Work Server" bug (as I was getting this from my server for a while).
- Configure your client to request work units with deadlines.
- Apparently the servers that manage the no deadline work units are perpetually broken and will not respond to your client.

In other news I just updated the client on my main rig to take advantage of the SMP client, but it starts up 4 different processes. Why 4? I only have two cores.

Also, does this new SMP client take advantage of any ATI GPUs yet? I heard a while back that the folding project was going in that direction. If so I figure I'll switch back to ATI for my next upgrade. Getting pretty sick of nVidia's drivers anyway.

you have some reading to catch up on :D

to answer a few of your questions. the SMP client is made for quad core cpu's hence the 4 processes. it will work fine on dual core cpu's but it is still in beta. the gpu client is up and running on ati cards X1xxx series. the only catch with the gpu client is that it requires one cpu core to run and it is also beta.

the "connection" bug still happens no mattter what settings you have. i get it every now and then.

you have some reading to catch up on :D

to answer a few of your questions. the SMP client is made for quad core cpu's hence the 4 processes. it will work fine on dual core cpu's but it is still in beta. the gpu client is up and running on ati cards X1xxx series. the only catch with the gpu client is that it requires one cpu core to run and it is also beta.

the "connection" bug still happens no mattter what settings you have. i get it every now and then.

Good words, a lot of reading will update you on all your questions.

Howdy,

Deadline-less / timeless workunits are postponed. Do not tell your client to ask for them.

The SMP client is still in beta --> and for testing it spawns four threads; quad core processors are common. The SMP client is targeted towards high-performance. Most Core Duo processors will meet the every quick deadlines. Currently the SMP client responds well to large levels of L2 cache.

The GPU client current works on specific ATi cards. I believe starting with the X1600 upto the X1950. The R600 (HD 2900) client currently is not out. nVidia cards are waiting for driver improvements. The GPU client current requires a cpu core to "feed" it.

The PS3 client is at version 1.1 and works fine; there is active participation from Sony in the F@H forums.

Currently, thanks to the massive increase of folders from PS3's debut, are under massive load as well as a number of servers being overwhelmed and suffering stability issues. However roughly ~50 cores and 150tb of space will be added to help with issues. This should resolve most, if not all, connectivity issues.

I hope I have quickly summarized F@H as of today :)

50 extra cores? i wonder if they have them folding, lol

i know they don't but it never hurts to ask :D

Back