Updating the HardOCP HSF/AIO/Cooler Testing Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a lot of cooler testing over the years and found trying to test and get accurate comparisons of cooler to cooler inside of a case to be very problematic to put it mildly.

If you do cooler testing what do you need me for? Read your own and marvel at how incredible they are.

Saying 'we are using a case system so our testing is real world ' is a joke.

I could put it in a tupperware container in the attic, would that be more like the systems our readers are using?

I've been an HVAC technician for 16 years, it is impossible to maintain a constant temperature to a tenth of a degree (or even 1 degree for that matter) without doing an EXACT heat load calculation for the space you're trying to cool (computer, measurement tools, lights, people, etc. etc. etc.) then designing a system with that EXACT cooling capacity, allowing it to run without ever needing to shut down, as the heat removed will be the same as the heat produced.

If you do cooler testing what do you need me for? Read your own and marvel at how incredible they are.

I could put it in a tupperware container in the attic, would that be more like the systems our readers are using?

I've been an HVAC technician for 16 years, it is impossible to maintain a constant temperature to a tenth of a degree (or even 1 degree for that matter) without doing an EXACT heat load calculation for the space you're trying to cool (computer, measurement tools, lights, people, etc. etc. etc.) then designing a system with that EXACT cooling capacity, allowing it to run without ever needing to shut down, as the heat removed will be the same as the heat produced.
Because I don't test every cooler made.

I'll ignore the other off-topic wise-cracks.

No, but a benchtop test station in a room on HVAC will only vary a couple of degrees.
By monitoring airflow temp into cooler being tested in real-time same as CPU temp it is pretty easy to get accurate delta temps, and as long as air temps into cooler within a few degrees of each other the margin of error is negligible.

Seems you are the only 'staff' member I am referring to.
As owner of [H]ardForum it becomes clear. Sadly you will likely end the same way HiTech Legion did after loosing all it's good review staff and membership. I hope that is not what happens here.
On the upside, you and I can party all night long...since I can't do cooler testing in the dark.

maxresdefault.jpg

So were are the airflow sensors and how often are they recorded during test session? Serious queston with no attitude. How about an equally serious and not attitude answer.

Take off that pussy hat.

Because I don't test every cooler made.

I'll ignore the other off-topic wise-cracks.

No, but a benchtop test station in a room on HVAC will only vary a couple of degrees.
By monitoring airflow temp into cooler being tested in real-time same as CPU temp it is pretty easy to get accurate delta temps, and as long as air temps into cooler within a few degrees of each other the margin of error is negligible.
OK doyll we have the article up on the new test system and procedures. Now let the floggings begin after you give it a read please. https://hardforum.com/threads/the-hardocp-cpu-hsf-aio-cooler-review-platform.1945154/

At least you claim it will monitor cooler intake and exhaust temps .. which would be the more stable if testing was not being done in a case and thereby be more inherently accurate, but you don't think that. Have fun using your new un'real world' tst system. :D
Thanks for your feedback.

At least you claim it will monitor cooler intake and exhaust temps .. which would be the more stable if testing was not being done in a case and thereby be more inherently accurate, but you don't think that. Have fun using your new un'real world' tst system. :D

the new testing methodology it's actually real world, it will not perform as everyone system, however it show how exactly a cooler perform inside a good case with average amount of fans and while tested under real conditions with a GPU pumping heat into the case.. I would prefer ALWAYS to see that kind of testing over open test bench, what's the point of testing a cooler in open test bench then at the moment to put inside a case it will perform way worse than others compared due the added GPU temp and overall case temp, the selected case for the test it's actually pretty good with ample room and enough airflow to prevent the heat become an issue but its still real world usage, and that's what people should use as guide when buying a new CPU cooler, people will buy coolers with the intention to use inside a case and achieve certain levels of cooling, no point on "hey buy this cooler as is proven to work flawlessly in a open test bench, but perform poorly when you install it in your machine" most people that build a new machine just want to put everything inside and play, no ducts, no heavy studies on airflow/airblow, no heavy thermodynamic equations, that's what 99% of the people want to see.

Again I see no point on Cooler testing on Open test bench if when you use it inside a case it will not perform the same, or if it win against other coolers of similar prices or if it lose vs coolers of cheaper prices when tested in real world scenarios, that's the point of this kind of test and I agree with [H].

The truth is, the new testing methodology is good, it take account lot of factors and it's real world, a cooler matters for how it perform inside a case and not on how perform in a open test bench. if I look for a cooler on the web I want to see how it compare against others inside a good case because that's the reference I want to use in my usage which it's mostly gaming as it's the vast majority of the audience on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back