Updating HP BIOS on Ryzen laptop and possible rollback?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I own the 15M-BQ121DX HP envy x360 2 in one Ryzen R2500u Vega 8 apu Laptop. Now it is relatively stable. 16GB ddr 2400, Samsung 250gb Nvme boot drive and Sandisk 960GB storage ssd. WIN10 64. Using Graphic driver dated 2 March 2018 from Acer most current ones I could find. according to Radeon Control they are still of 17.7 variety. plays all games good and no problem playing any videos. Now there is a new Bios out F17A but all it says is security enhancement and stability improvements. I am currently running F13 BIOS. If I have issues can i reinstall the F13 BIOS over the new one? Any one out know what the F17A bios really does? HP support and info is useless.... Has anyone have these installed on their Ryzen hp laptop? Thanks for any info......

I would assume it has to do with the meltdown/spectre vulnerabilities, the website does not offer much info. Normally you should be able to flash the bios back to an older version, I did it with my current motherboard after they pulled the first round of bioses for spectre/meltdown due to several issues (not that I had any, I did it just to be safe).

Do make sure you have access to the bios you want to install, you can't "undo"

Btw, not sure why you are using acer drivers on a HP laptop unless that is a typo.

I use the Acer because all the vega 8 drivers appear to be the same and the Acer driver is dated march 2018 while Hp is Oct 2017 . Besides they appear the both be the same AMD package there appears to be absolutely no customization for Acer or HP. There are NO new drivers for Mobile Ryzen apus on AMD own site. Typical AMD poor driver support they don't seem to care about their mobile apus.....

yup, melt/spec updates and you prob wont get more info unless you directly contact HP.
we've been over this time and again, its not up to amd to provide drivers for the laptops, its up to hp. so stop blaming amd and go yell at hp.

Don't tell me what to do. I'll damn well blame AMD they made the apu. THe Hp drivers come from AMD and for your info I have yelled at HP they are next to worthless.. That's my feelings on this matter I am sick of companies poor support and lack of customer care .

I must apologize for my snarky attitude especially to pendragon1, he has really helped me in the past and I do appreciate his knowledge. Anyway I did do the bios update to F17A and it does away with the Spectre vulnerability, Now with Windows defender and Malwarebytes premium I should be reasonably safe. Performance at least with Superposition benchmark and Valley are not noticeably diminished. I will continue to test and the Acer driver I'm using seems to be stable although I don't see any performance gain... Also no new features in bios was hoping for a Vram setting...Oh well machine is stable can run Windows Mixed Reality what else can I ask for? Have a good evening...

Back