Updating GPU driver after Windows install, best source? (NVIDIA or MSI)

JYeager11

Gawd
Just clean-installed Windows 11, and one of the first drivers I'd like to update is the GPU.

Keeping in my I'm running on a GTX 750 Ti (still the only card from that line being supported with regular driver updates to this day til I find my dream card) on a MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI... which of these two drivers am I better off with?
  • AMD Graphics Drivers | Ver: 21.30.14 | Date: 2021-11-02 | Source: MSI
  • GeForce Game Ready Driver - WHQL | Ver: 511.23 | Date: 2022-01-14 | Source: NVIDIA
I assume the latter (NVIDIA), but just wanted to be sure with your expert confirmation. :)
For everything else (chipset, audio, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth) I intend to go with the versions on the MSI page (stop me now if that's a mistake).

PS: OS has already been fully updated with 2 cumulative patches, and is running beautifully so far.

the amd gpu driver isnt going to do anything for your nvidia gpu...
use the new nv driver and the amd chipset driver from amds page.

the amd gpu driver isnt going to do anything for your nvidia gpu...
Wait, are you saying MSI's driver is for onboard gpu? I was not aware that this motherboard *had* onboard gpu. In fact, I was pretty much sure it didn't when I bought it. What the.. did MSI mistakenly include this as compatible with my board, or do they just include a generic onboard gpu driver in all their drivers pages regardless whether the board even has it to drive? If the latter, way to confuse us noobs, MSI.

use the new nv driver and the amd chipset driver from amds page.
You mean this one? (I normally wouldn't ask, but this sounds like it's a big deal if I do it wrong.. my cpu is a 5900x)

And it's more reliable than the AMD Chipset Drivef found here at the board manufacturer's site you say?

Wait, are you saying MSI's driver is for onboard gpu? I was not aware that this motherboard *had* onboard gpu. In fact, I was pretty much sure it didn't when I bought it. What the.. did MSI mistakenly include this as compatible with my board, or do they just include a generic onboard gpu driver in all their drivers pages regardless whether the board even has it to drive? If the latter, way to confuse us noobs, MSI.

You mean this one? (I normally wouldn't ask, but this sounds like it's a big deal if I do it wrong.. my cpu is a 5900x)

And it's more reliable than the AMD Chipset Drivef found here at the board manufacturer's site you say?
if you have an APU, yes. you dont. did you not notice the hdmi port on your mobo?

what does that say, chipset? nope. get the chipset one.

yes, the one from amd is almost always newer than the oems page.

edit: in this case, i think the ones on amd and msi sites are the same, just using different numbering. could be wrong though...
edit2: yup^^ compared file versions in device manager, all the same. so grab either this time.

Last edited:
if you have an APU, yes. you dont. did you not notice the hdmi port on your mobo?

what does that say, chipset? nope. get the chipset one.
Wait, I thought I followed all the right steps for the chipset and it led me to that download. :( I'm terrible at this.
edit: in this case, i think the ones on amd and msi sites are the same, just using different numbering. could be wrong though...
edit2: yup^^ compared file versions in device manager, all the same. so grab either this time.
Great, I'll use MSI's, but where did you find it on AMD's page to compare with in the first place? If you give me the end point, I'll find my way there so I'll know better next time.

Wait, I thought I followed all the right steps for the chipset and it led me to that download. :( I'm terrible at this.

Great, I'll use MSI's, but where did you find it on AMD's page to compare with in the first place? If you give me the end point, I'll find my way there so I'll know better next time.
you are looking at your cpu not your x570 chipset.
select chipsets, not processors, in the menu.

1643514760792.png

you are looking at your cpu not your x570 chipset.
select chipsets, not processors, in the menu.

View attachment 438436
Okay, found my own way here from start page, making sure I selected Chipsets / AM4 / X570 as you've shown. So I'll be able to find my way back in the future without sweating like I'm disarming a bomb. ;) But unless I'm misreading, MSI's driver isn't just the same : it's actualy MORE recent. Granted, they were released only 2 weeks apart, but still, that seems curious.
  • MSI: AMD_Chipset_Drivers_3.10.22.706 (2021-11-02)
  • AMD: amd_chipset_software_3.10.08.506 (2021-10-21)
Could it be that AMD rolls out these new drivers to board manufacturers before supplying their own website with them? 3 months after its release, MSI is still the only one of the two sites with the more recent 3.10.22 driver.

Okay, found my own way here from start page, making sure I selected Chipsets / AM4 / X570 as you've shown. So I'll be able to find my way back in the future without sweating like I'm disarming a bomb. ;) But unless I'm misreading, MSI's driver isn't just the same : it's actualy MORE recent. Granted, they were released only 2 weeks apart, but still, that seems curious.
  • MSI: AMD_Chipset_Drivers_3.10.22.706 (2021-11-02)
  • AMD: amd_chipset_software_3.10.08.506 (2021-10-21)
Could it be that AMD rolls out these new drivers to board manufacturers before supplying their own website with them? 3 months after its release, MSI is still the only one of the two sites with the more recent 3.10.22 driver.
go back and read my previous post.

go back and read my previous post.
You think it's the same version with different numbering? I find that unlikely given how close the numbering and dating is, but I guess it's possible. Either way, MSI's it is. Thank you.

EDIT: Looks like I was right for a change ;) they are two very distinct versions. This article talks very specifically about both of them, touting "MSI users however already have something newer to look forward to" (referring to the 3.10.22). But this article was written 3 months ago, so I guess AMD simply hasn't gotten around to offering their own driver on their website yet.

Last edited:
You think it's the same version with different numbering? I find that unlikely given how close the numbering and dating is, but I guess it's possible. Either way, MSI's it is. Thank you.

EDIT: Looks like I was right for a change ;) they are two very distinct versions. This article talks very specifically about both of them, touting "MSI users however already have something newer to look forward to" (referring to the 3.10.22). But this article was written 2 months ago, so I guess AMD simply hasn't gotten around to offering their own driver on their website yet.
i compared the file versions side by side, they are the same but whatever. is it working? yes? good. next time you ask for advice, listen and dont play different sites against each other.

i compared the file versions side by side, they are the same but whatever. is it working? yes? good. next time you ask for advice, listen and dont play different sites against each other.
You know, you've been a grouch from Day 1. I've been turning cheeks because you're ultimately trying to help, but I've just re-read this thread and have no idea why you're being such an asshat right now. Seems you just don't like being wrong or saying "oops, you're right" to anyone.

Sounds like we just don't like each other, so feel free to skip my threads in the future; and I'll do the same with yours. Pretty sure the place is big enough for both of us.

look at your posts and maybe youll see why a bunch are frustrated. you caused it.
sounds good.

Back