Updating BIOS

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by reaper7534!, Jun 22, 2019.

1. reaper7534!

reaper7534! [H]Lite

Will be upgrading to Ryzen 3000 from my 6700k Z170 build next month when the new AMD parts release

Will most likely go with the following

3700x
    Aorus X470 Gaming 7

Question is, can this board BIOS be flashed without a CPU ? I can't find a definitive answer if this is the case. I know I can get a boot kit from AMD, but that will just be a delay.

I may go with a X570 once they release pricing, but won't pay extra for features we won't see/ need for a while.

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

is it the gaming 7 wifi? what rev board is it? GB spec list says it supports q-flash but reviews say it doesn't so idk. you might want to try emailing GB and see what they say. if you board has that removable bios chip you might even be able to get them to send an updated one and you swap it.

3. reaper7534!

reaper7534! [H]Lite

Yes, I would get the Gaming 7 Wifi.....I'm assuming it has the bios flashback, but I'm turning up empty on any results. I shoot GB an email for confirmation.

pendragon1 likes this.
  4. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

yeah that's what i'd do. and if it doesn't q-flash ask about an updated bios chip to swap in.

5. Dermen

Dermen Limp Gawd

Aorus X470 Gaming 7 Wifi has Q Flash, which lets you flash from USB without an OS. Q Flash Plus lets you flash from USB without CPU/Memory and is not supported on this board.

OhSigmaChi likes this.
  6. OhSigmaChi

OhSigmaChi Limp Gawd

Sounds like it's a no then. You might be able to find an [H]'er who will loan you a spare first gen Ryzen chip.

pendragon1 likes this.
  7. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

8. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

I don’t know if you are buying online or from a store, but maybe you can ask them to update the BIOS for you. If you are buying from online I would ask the seller if it is updated. Sometimes the newer x370 boards have been updated.

9. OhSigmaChi

OhSigmaChi Limp Gawd

If push comes to shove, you could buy a Ryzen 3 1200 off of ebay for $60 and then list back for $59 with free shipping. It will sell, and all you'll be out if the $1 loss and the shipping to the next owner.

cybereality likes this.