Updating BIOS on B550 Motherboard in order to accommodate 5800x

Horiscopes

n00b
Hey guys,

I am working on building my dad a PC at the moment, and I want to get him a 5800X for his build so he can run whatever he wants at essentially max FPS. The only problem I've run into is that B550 and X570 motherboards (according to PCPartPicker and the rest of the internet) need to have their BIOS updated to be compatible with Vermeer CPUs.

These sources also say I need an older, compatible CPU in order to update the BIOS on many of these, which I do not have. I've only built 2 PCs, and this is my first AMD CPU build, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right, and I was wondering if there is some way around this. I had seen some sources that said that "instant flashing" without a CPU was possible on some models, and I wanted to see if you guys have any pointers. Thank you!

Some newer motherboards have a bios flashback feature that will let you update without having a supported cpu on hand. What is your motherboard?

Hey guys,

I am working on building my dad a PC at the moment, and I want to get him a 5800X for his build so he can run whatever he wants at essentially max FPS. The only problem I've run into is that B550 and X570 motherboards (according to PCPartPicker and the rest of the internet) need to have their BIOS updated to be compatible with Vermeer CPUs.

These sources also say I need an older, compatible CPU in order to update the BIOS on many of these, which I do not have. I've only built 2 PCs, and this is my first AMD CPU build, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right, and I was wondering if there is some way around this. I had seen some sources that said that "instant flashing" without a CPU was possible on some models, and I wanted to see if you guys have any pointers. Thank you!
1. X570 and B550 boards are old enough now that its likely a brand new board will come with a bios which supports Zen 3. I recently bought an Asus B550 board which actually printed Zen 3 support on the box.

And as mentioned, some boards allow you to flash the bios from a thumbdrive, without a CPU. There is usually a specific USB port which you must plug into. and at least in the case of Asus: a dedicated button to get the process started.

I would think that just about every board out there at this point has Zen3 support even if it isn't the most recent bios if you are buying a brand new motherboard.

1. X570 and B550 boards are old enough now that its likely a brand new board will come with a bios which supports Zen 3. I recently bought an Asus B550 board which actually printed Zen 3 support on the box.

And as mentioned, some boards allow you to flash the bios from a thumbdrive, without a CPU. There is usually a specific USB port which you must plug into. and at least in the case of Asus: a dedicated button to get the process started.
Alright, thank you for the reply :) I was just worried because I had seen posts in even the past few months that said boards still needed to be flashed. Thank you again :)

Alright, thank you for the reply :) I was just worried because I had seen posts in even the past few months that said boards still needed to be flashed. Thank you again :)
I know people keep saying that everything should work out of the box... However, the 500 series boards and 3000 series processors should work out of the box. But for the 5000 series. There still is a chance that the motherboard you receive is 2+ years old and was finally found behind the shelf.

Some gigabyte and Asus boards support bios flashback, I would look for one of those.

what board and have you checked the supported list to see if you need an upgrade or not?

I know people keep saying that everything should work out of the box... However, the 500 series boards and 3000 series processors should work out of the box. But for the 5000 series. There still is a chance that the motherboard you receive is 2+ years old and was finally found behind the shelf.

Some gigabyte and Asus boards support bios flashback, I would look for one of those.

I was looking at the Gigabyte B550 AORUS elite AX v2. The reviews on PCPartPicker said they had no issues, and I think it supports bios flashback.

I was looking at the Gigabyte B550 AORUS elite AX v2. The reviews on PCPartPicker said they had no issues, and I think it supports bios flashback.
Morning, afternoon or evening…. Unsure where you live.

According to Gigabyte, the motherboard supports…

Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS without Installing the CPU, Memory and Graphics Card

Page 11 of the manual talks about it more. But it also directs you to another site on note 3.

Back