Updating a friends PC, any suggestions are welcome

Linkz

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

It's been a while since my last post, looking into suggesting parts for a friend, she already has a 2080Ti but the rest of the machine is pretty old so looking to update it. We are both Intel/Nvidia folk and have a bias toward ASUS mobos, so anything I should consider with this list?

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Mostly going to be used for gaming, maybe some advanced photoshop, I know the i9 is a bit overkill but its not that much more price wise. She won't be overclocking so maybe the K is too much?

Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
I have one of these now and I like it, but am open to other AIO or air cooled if you think.

Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
I currently have the ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO and I've been really happy with it. SHe won't be doing an overclocking of RAM or CPU.

Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
I have one and I love it so I'm sure she will love the nVME life too.

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
I honestly don't have a major preference in RAM but I've used G.Skill in the past and currently.

She will keep the exisitng case, PSU, GPU and anything else I've left off.

So anything I'm overlooking or is some of it overkill? Open to any and all suggestions.

Was there any particular reason you were going to go 9900k vs the 10700k? I've seen them go for decent prices lately.

Was there any particular reason you were going to go 9900k vs the 10700k? I've seen them go for decent prices lately.

Not particularly I think I had already picked a 1151 socket motherboard and just picked that one.

I would also recommend going with the 10700k. It is slightly faster and cheaper. Also it is not a dead end platform like the z390. You wi get at least another gen of cpu out of it. With it would come pcie4 also.

Echoing the rest. Spend a bit more to get to the 10 series. I believe Intel mentioned that Z490 boards will support Tiger Lake (11th gen) don't quote me, lol.

Z390 is dead, I'm on that board with my 8700 (non k) and next upgrade will either be 11th gen or new AMD.

Gotcha, thanks for those tips, this is my new part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L9jzL2

Get the evo plus instead of the evo SSD, get a bit more performance for 2$ more.
Additionally is there a reason you need such a boushie motherboard? $400 is way too much especially since you said no overclocking.
I recommend the Gigabyte Z490 UD AC, if you still prefer asus the tuf series model Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) is half the price of the hero model.

saves her 200$ overall see here: : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pWFxZf

Edit: what PSU,and case does she have? (i scratched the amd build since i reread and saw your team green/blue preference)
Is there a budget you're aiming for either?

Last edited:
Get the evo plus instead of the evo SSD, get a bit more performance for 2$ more.
Additionally is there a reason you need such a boushie motherboard? $400 is way too much especially since you said no overclocking.
I recommend the Gigabyte Z490 UD AC, if you still prefer asus the tuf series model Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) is half the price of the hero model.

saves her 200$ overall see here: : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pWFxZf

Edit: what PSU,and case does she have? (i scratched the amd build since i reread and saw your team green/blue preference)
Is there a budget you're aiming for either?
I agree with the MB. Unless it has some feature you must have you can go with a less MB as suggested.

Back