Updated US sales numbers

vortexpud

Limp Gawd
http://videogamecharts.com/page3.html

Of note, the XBox 360 finally hit the 2 million sold (not shipped) mark, the DS Lite surges the DS sales to quadruple, and the PS2 is still selling quite well for a 6 year old system (still the top console in the US)!

Here are this month's sales:

PS2 = 312,000
Xbox = 24,000
Gamecube = 51,000
Xbox 360 = 277,000
PSP = 221,000
NDS = 593,000
GBA = 189,000

The complete sales totals are all at the link if they interest you. In other news, Nintendo still completely owns Japan - but that's not really news. Especially in the software charts (Valkyrie Profile has dropped off the face of the planet while titles like Mario and Animal Crossing are still selling unprecedented amounts).

BTW something to ponder - we all know that worldwide the XBox has sold about 1-2mill more than the Gamecube... but since the 360 came out, the original has dropped in sales quite a bit, while the Cube has remained fairly constant month-per-month. I wonder if the original XBox will drop to 3rd worldwide in systems sold when Super Paper Mario and Zelda drop later this year (for those that can't afford to invest in the Wii right off the bat).

Those numbers appear to be for the US sales only. I wonder what the numbers are for the rest of the world including Australia, Europe, South Korea, and Japan.

Those numbers appear to be for the US sales only.

Hence the title... There is no company that I know of that tracks worldwide sales other than the parent company of the platform - which generally (aside from Nintendo) release their numbers as units shipped to impress their investors, not units sold. Meanwhile, units shipped include (obviously) those sitting on shelves/backrooms/warehouses and those that get sent as a new exchange, etc. Japan keeps their sales up to date weekly, and the US generally keeps it monthly - and really that's the best you're going to get with it.

Why do you think so many PS2s are still selling? Obviously there is a huge library of games there, but you would think that anyone who was going to buy one would have it by now. Maybe some of the older ones crapped out on people? Or maybe just a switch to the slim unit?

This really is just a question. It is not some !!!! post that is trying to make a point. I really am just curious as to what you all think. I am a fan of all consoles and will be adding a PS3 and Wii to go along side my 360 as soon as they come out. :)

i'm still amazed at how well the GBA is selling, its getting close to PSP numbers! :eek:

The_Law said:
Why do you think so many PS2s are still selling? Obviously there is a huge library of games there, but you would think that anyone who was going to buy one would have it by now. Maybe some of the older ones crapped out on people? Or maybe just a switch to the slim unit?

This really is just a question. It is not some !!!! post that is trying to make a point. I really am just curious as to what you all think. I am a fan of all consoles and will be adding a PS3 and Wii to go along side my 360 as soon as they come out. :)

No, I don't think they're crapping out. First, you have to replace the old bulky console with a new slim one. Then you know, you need one for your car, your motorcycle, your girlfriend's apartment, work. The possibilities are endless. :D

The_Law said:

Well, considering that the PS2 has shipped just over 100m worldwide, you have to consider that there are 6.5 billion people on this planet. An extremely small percentage of the population play console games. In both the US and Japan, though especially the US - gaming penetration is relatively small. More people are simply getting PS2s just because they are now within mass-market price and have a shitload of great games to choose from in almost all genres. The "PS2s crapping out" theory is relatively out of step with the reality that most people still don't play console games, and more casual gamers purchase these systems when they are cheaper. Sure they represent a small percentage (it would be foolish to think otherwise) it is not the reality of the situation. Everyone in the world who wanted a PS2 still doesn't have one, and half-decent games continue to be released for it :) This is the same reason that the GBA is still selling well. Nintendo is making money hand-over-fist here (far more money than the other 2 companies). Do remember, though, that the website is tracking hardware units SOLD, not shipped as is the norm for MS and Sony. These are actual non-padded figures.

The_Law said:

I'm sure that number includes some replacements and some people buying a second (or third) system for their homes (kids' bedroom).

I'd wager that most of them are people who don't want to spend a whole lot of money. For $200 now, you could buy a PS2 and a bunch of games ($20 greatest hits + second-hand titles). If you had limited spare cash and wanted to finally get a console, it's the obvious choice.

I'm not in that category myself, but several friends of mine have bought PS2s (first and only console for each) in the past 6 months.

edit: beat by one minute

plus.... they are cheap. You're talking about a $129 console instead of a $399 console. And the library of cheap games. Believe it or not, there are many not willing to shell out for the latest and greatest.

phoderpants said:
No, I don't think they're crapping out. First, you have to replace the old bulky console with a new slim one. Then you know, you need one for your car, your motorcycle, your girlfriend's apartment, work. The possibilities are endless. :D

That sums it up pretty well. At $129 a pop, they are pretty affordable to where you can get several of them as needed. Heck, come to my neighborhood and watch the homies as they drive thumpin their bass with like 3 TV's in the car and probably a PS2 for each TV in the car. When the price dropped a little while ago, a friend of mine replaced his old bulky PS2, then bought 2 extra PS2's for his SUV and his sedan.

2 million 360s sold (not shipped) in the US only is not bad at all considering all the shortages they had. It still doesn't surprise me to see the PS2 selling in high numbers since the dang thing is $129.

Lets update these figures after Gears of War launches and Microsoft announces a price drop on the 360. ;) :cool:

ps2 selling so weel all these years must have shot SONY's ego through the roof.

balls is definetly in SONYs court whether they can REALLY deliver on the PS3 amist the price controversy, cell processor yields, etc

Asian Dub Foundation said:
ps2 selling so weel all these years must have shot SONY's ego through the roof.

balls is definetly in SONYs court whether they can REALLY deliver on the PS3 amist the price controversy, cell processor yields, etc

It might have had something to do with the recent PS2 price drop...

I am just amazed at the DS numbers, I don't get why so many more people are buying these vs. the PSP. People always throw out the 'it's all about the games' argument, but I really don't think that holds true in this case as the PSP has just as high quality of games as the DS does, plus a smaller package, a better picture, and all the extra functionality.

The PS2 was outselling all the other consoles prior to the price drop.

As far as the PSP having a game library that's as good as the DS, well, it doesn't. Most PSP games are just watered-down PS2 ports, not to mention that the DS is backwards compatible with GBA games, which makes its game library even larger. Still, the PSP is not a failure by any means, and is doing better than any other console that's challenged Nintendo in the handheld market.

NulloModo said:
I am just amazed at the DS numbers, I don't get why so many more people are buying these vs. the PSP. People always throw out the 'it's all about the games' argument, but I really don't think that holds true in this case as the PSP has just as high quality of games as the DS does, plus a smaller package, a better picture, and all the extra functionality.

Yes but lets not get into a sales contest here, the DS has THE better games period. The numbers show it. It's smaller, loads games quicker, features a touch screen, mic, huge backlog of games .etc The DS simply owns in the U.S. and Japan.

Isaacav2 said:
Yes but lets not get into a sales contest here, the DS has THE better games period. The numbers show it. It's smaller, loads games quicker, features a touch screen, mic, huge backlog of games .etc The DS simply owns in the U.S. and Japan.

QFT, you're being paid to play games and attend video game conferences, for christ's sake. You can at least do a separate review for each platform.

I'm still thinking of getting a PS2 mainly for GT4 and one or two other games. It's so cheap these days it's hard to resist.

NulloModo said:

The numbers he quoted are from June.
If you look at the total numbers going back to launch,
the DS and PSP sales #s look almost equal. The launch of the DS Lite
is why the DS is taking off and suddenly double the PSP sales #s. The rest of this summer will tell the tale. It could just be a rush of earlier adopters. 3 people in my family alone have bought DS Lites since launch.

I'm amazed at the GBA #s if anything. It's only $50 cheaper and $30 in case of the micro compared to a ds system and before June came along it was selling as much or more than PSP or DS. Seems like people would pay the extra for the DS since it plays GBA games and is newer hardware. At more than double the price, the PSP is a totally different market compared to a GBA. But it seems strange more people don't go for the DS over the GBA. Maybe the Lite's sexier form factor will help.

If the DS doesn't pick it up soon in USA it never will. It had one good month here, but I doubt it'll maintain.

I wonder if it can maintain a lead in Japan if it cant get anything going outside Japan as well.

Thats a hell of a lot of PSPs sold considering the price of them!! Also isnt the PS2 still the most expensive console out of its generation? Thats good going. The only reason i got a ds lite is for new mario and its better looks than the ds phat, the lite looks more mature than the phats "childish looks" ! I think ill be buying a white PSP aswell for the better buttons.

The_Law said:

I had thought a bit about people replacing broken ones being counted in those numbers, then I had an incident today that made me change my mind about that.

My launch day PS2 finally gave up the ghost today and just refused to read any disc (I feel I easily got my money's worth with it, when did that thing come out, like 2001? 5 years isn't bad at all). So first I thought damn, I am going to have to pay $130 for a new one, then I got smart. EB gave me $20 for the broken one (knowing it was broken) plus I got an extra $20 from a GameInformer coupon, and a pre-owned is only $90, so all in all I only payed $50 for a mint and garaunteed slimline PS2 that still came with everything a new one would. Used systems probably aren't counted in those sales numbers, but I bet they make up a decent portion.

Sharky974 said:
If the DS doesn't pick it up soon in USA it never will. It had one good month here, but I doubt it'll maintain.

I wonder if it can maintain a lead in Japan if it cant get anything going outside Japan as well.

You wonder if the DS can maintain a lead in Japan? LOL
Have you BEEN to Japan recently? Hell, have you even seen the numbers?

Sharky974 said:

You wonder if the DS can maintain a lead in Japan? LOL
Have you BEEN to Japan recently? Hell, have you even seen the numbers? USED DS Lites cost more than new ones, because they are nearly impossible to find. The PSP's software attach rate is downright pathetic, even in the USA - which is why Sony's hardware sales for the PSP (they're still taking a loss) means nothing to them. In Japan, not only are DS hardware sales high, but the DS software usually has staying power higher than that of even most PS2 games, and they regularly fill at least 5 of the top 10 selling titles every month. In the states, DS titles are regularly spotted in the top 10 as well, with no PSP titles to be found. It's a sad situation for Sony because now they can't even rely as much on UMD movie sales.

If the next killer 360 title is "Gears of War" - how well do you think the 360's going to sell during these summer lull months? I'd be worried about it more than the DS Lite - the system desperately needs some absolute bomb titles during the summer to get anywhere near 6 million (let alone their target of 10m by Christmas).

Let's please not make this a "Who is better" thread?
A year ago, people were saying the PsP had NO good titles or games. Now they say they are all rehashed or retreads. I'd say it's a major improvement considering the doomsayers predicted it was dead then. Nothing the DS has out imho is really that original (with a few exceptions ) either, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
To be fair, both have good games and fill their niches well. (i have both) I think if and when they can let the PsP play ps1 (and ps2?) games, then you might see a good surge in sales. Till then, the DS will probably stay in front of it for the forseeable future.
For the money, the PS2 is still one fun system imo which doesn't surprise me that it's selling so well still.

You know its funny how I have seen many pc oriented hard ware sites put down the ps2 and Sony. People make a huge deal about xbox360. But Sales wise and game wise its not taken over crown for top console yet. still losing to a 6 year old system. There are so many ways the xbox360 could have and should have been better as a system. I know for some people for its a USAVs JAPAn thing. And I see that in the posts and criticisms. For me its purely about games. How many good to great games can I get. What are my choices? Which system has the most coolest RPGS. And that's the system that I will gravitate to.

I remember when Nintendo was the champ and.. Sony was entering the market. I Told people back then.. They will be number 1. And they were. They releasd Ps2.. and made it hardware backward compatible with Ps1. And they sold even more.

Now they make a more advanced unit with alot more cost to it.. And of course everyone again is saying that its too expensive. That there is no way blah blah. I am hearing the same BS.

Mark My words.. the PS3 will be the number one console.. 3 straight for Sony.
And I don't think it will be xbox360 who gives them the challenge... Its going to be Nintendo who is going to be closer.

If only half the known ps2 owners upgrade to the ps3...It would dwarf the sales of the xbox360.

Its the Games Stupid.

ReubenRosa said:
You know its funny how I have seen many pc oriented hard ware sites put down the ps2 and Sony. People make a huge deal about xbox360. But Sales wise and game wise its not taken over crown for top console yet. still losing to a 6 year old system. There are so many ways the xbox360 could have and should have been better as a system. I know for some people for its a USAVs JAPAn thing. And I see that in the posts and criticisms. For me its purely about games. How many good to great games can I get. What are my choices? Which system has the most coolest RPGS. And that's the system that I will gravitate to.

I remember when Nintendo was the champ and.. Sony was entering the market. I Told people back then.. They will be number 1. And they were. They releasd Ps2.. and made it hardware backward compatible with Ps1. And they sold even more.

Now they make a more advanced unit with alot more cost to it.. And of course everyone again is saying that its too expensive. That there is no way blah blah. I am hearing the same BS.

And I don't think it will be xbox360 who gives them the challenge... Its going to be Nintendo who is going to be closer.

If only half the known ps2 owners upgrade to the ps3...It would dwarf the sales of the xbox360.

Its the Games Stupid.
but sony isnt about the games anymore.

ReubenRosa said:

Its the Games Stupid.

To take your phrase, you're right, It's the Games Stupid.

Sony no longer has the exclusives they once had, and price is everything when it comes to whether a console sells or not. People can deny that price is a factor all they want, but let's wait and see as it's too early to make a prediction. The PS2 is selling because it's so affordable. In fact, I know people who are buying more than one to replace existing units, and put them in their cars and suv's. However, let's see how well a console sells at a much higher price point. Combine that with a lot fewer exclusives, and Sony has a lot to worry about. In my opinion, I respectfully think you are wrong as I predict Sony will come 3rd this round. I believe the #1 and 2 spots will be shared by Nintendo and Microsoft. However, this is just my prediction. There is big difference from a console launching at $300, and the current $500-600 price point of the PS3. The big question is whether there will be demand for the PS3 after the initial wave of fan-boys and hardcore enthusiasts have obtained their system. The bigger question is whether they will be able to launch with any decent volume or not. If people can't obtain a PS3 anytime soon after launch, expect those sales to go to the big M and N's.

In all honesty i hate exlusives, it just means you are getting more sequals and i've been tired of sequals for years now, give a new story, i don't care about revolutionary playing i just want new interfaces, new levels, new stories, new characters, something different!

the only exclusive that really can hold true to that is FF series, which i have alot of respect for, i've never seen a company come out with so many stories, designs, and different style of game plays using the same template (team's, world map, hp/mana system, and limits)

but yea exlusives never really enticed me for a while now.

Great thing again about the Ps3 is that it is backward compatible with the Ps2..
and that means its backward compatible with the psone as well. I am sorry that is huge!
Xbox360 has a mess when it comes to its backward compatibility. Also how they just took their xbox customers and basically abandoned them for the xbox 360.

People try to say it was exclusives that allowed sony to donimate and thats a poor excuse.
The options for 5 star games were greater on the PS2.

Cost wise each Sony system has been the most expensive... when they were released.
That has not changed. And it didn't affect sales. What makes anyone actually believe the ps3 will all of a sudden change that?

It's the price, their are alot of folks out there that couldn't afford one (or more) till now. Way back in the day of SNES and Genesis and just near the launch of the PS and Saturn, I worked part time at (ugh) FuncoLand. We sold more used NES's than any other console. Why? Because you could get it and an ass load of games for next to nothing and they would either use them or ship them to family out of the country.

Trust me not everyone can afford a console till it drops below $150 range. Hardcore gaming crowd is not the majority of America when it comes to disposable income. Which is why PS3 will sell out its initial run, but won't hit the numbers it has before as it's way too damn expensive, and money is tight enough for alot of folks now and don't see any recovery on the horizon anytime soon. Wii and a good 360 bundle will kick ass for most of the ordinary folks out there.

AARGH!

I for one am not at all supprised that the PS2 is still selling huge numbers 6 years later. It will be selling huge numbers 8 years later I would bet. I for one got rid of my PS2 when the X360 came out as I had played all I could play on it. But now I regret it as I did not play God of War and now God of War 2 is coming out and I would really like to play it. And since the console is only $129 I may just pick one up.

ReubenRosa said:
Xbox360 has a mess when it comes to its backward compatibility. Also how they just took their xbox customers and basically abandoned them for the xbox 360.

This is just a fallacy that most non-360 owners still cling to. It was true at first, but it isn't even close to being true now.

People try to say it was exclusives that allowed sony to donimate and thats a poor excuse.
The options for 5 star games were greater on the PS2.

ReubenRosa said:
Cost wise each Sony system has been the most expensive... when they were released.
That has not changed. And it didn't affect sales. What makes anyone actually believe the ps3 will all of a sudden change that?

...this is such a ridiculous argument...I honestly can't believe anyone used it.

No, Sony has not always been the most expensive. The original Playstation was cheaper than the Saturn. The PS2 was even with the Xbox and more expensive than the Gamecube (The Dreamcast and Gamecube don't really matter as they went for different demographics; the Xbox was a fledgling effort so nobody even expected it to do as well as it did).

This time, Sony is aiming at double (Hell, almost triple) the cost of one competitor and their lowest package is $100 more than Microsoft's highest package (Which will also likely be cheaper by the end of this year or early next year).

On top of that, they've had one of the biggest strings of bad PR that I've ever seen a single company go through. They have no momentum whatsoever; almost all news that has come out in regards to the PS3 has broken the spirits of Sony fans.

The pricepoint, the rehashed/gimped controller, the gimped low-end version, the uninspired games, the online system that nobody really knows about, the low processor yields, the question of efficiency and availability of Blu-Ray drives, the pathetic E3 showing...the list just goes on and on.

I expect Nintendo to dominate this time around. Aside from a few questionable decisions here and there, they've done an excellent job with one thing they've been terrible at for years prior; hype. Microsoft's future is going to be made or broken by this Fall; they've got to get some games out for this system. They're building a good stable, but it's simply not enough...a lot of developers missed the launch window, realized they were in the slow-sale months, and pushed everything back to the Fall which has left the Summer season barren.

junehhan said:
To take your phrase, you're right, It's the Games Stupid.

Sony no longer has the exclusives they once had, and price is everything when it comes to whether a console sells or not. People can deny that price is a factor all they want, but let's wait and see as it's too early to make a prediction. The PS2 is selling because it's so affordable. In fact, I know people who are buying more than one to replace existing units, and put them in their cars and suv's. However, let's see how well a console sells at a much higher price point. Combine that with a lot fewer exclusives, and Sony has a lot to worry about. In my opinion, I respectfully think you are wrong as I predict Sony will come 3rd this round. I believe the #1 and 2 spots will be shared by Nintendo and Microsoft. However, this is just my prediction. There is big difference from a console launching at $300, and the current $500-600 price point of the PS3.

Sony may have lost exclusives, but big deal. It lost exclusives from the PS1 to the PS2, but new ones took their places, as will happen again this time. Either way, it still have far more critically-acclaimed exclusives than either of its competitors.

By the way, it's not price that sells a console. If that were the case, the N64 and Gamecube would have destroyed everything.

The Saturn was the most expensive console of its generation, and it outsold the N64 in Japan and was beating the PS1 prior to FFVII. Had Sega not screwed up with the two failed add-ons, the rushed launched, and making the Saturn's hardware to difficult for programmers to bear and/or had games like FFVII, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Tenchu, etc, been released for it, it probably would have been number one.

The big question is whether there will be demand for the PS3 after the initial wave of fan-boys and hardcore enthusiasts have obtained their system. The bigger question is whether they will be able to launch with any decent volume or not. If people can't obtain a PS3 anytime soon after launch, expect those sales to go to the big M and N's.

Not necessarily.

The PS2 was in great shortage after its launch, but people didn't go out and buy Dreamcasts despite the fact that the latter was half the price.

I don't think Sony will run away with the whole pie like it did last gen, but I believe that its strongest competition will come from Nintendo. It's going to be pretty hard for the 360 to win when it's dead in a major region.

Why do people keep assuming that just because a console failed in a single region, that it is catastrophic? Seriously?

Japan may be the #2 console gaming market in the world, but there is a hell of a lot of world out there other than the #1(that's us here) and #2 spots. Also, new exclusives may take the place of ones lost, but will they really make a difference? We are talking a $200 price differential here, and lots of people have trouble swallowing that kind of money for exclusives. Like I said, it's too early to tell at this point. Let's just wait and argue again if and when the PS3 and Revolution both launch. My prediction stands that M and N will share the #1 and 2 spot with the PS3 coming in a close #3. Between M and N, i'm not sure if I can make a prediction which will take the #1 spot. I think the key for Sony to prove my prediction wrong will be for them to have an extremely strong launch across the world. I couldn't care less if they launched in volume in Japan, but the key is will they be able to launch in volume across the rest of the world?

junehhan said:
Why do people keep assuming that just because a console failed in a single region, that it is catastrophic? Seriously?

Japan may be the #2 console gaming market in the world, but there is a hell of a lot of world out there other than the #1(that's us here) and #2 spots. Also, new exclusives may take the place of ones lost, but will they really make a difference? We are talking a $200 price differential here, and lots of people have trouble swallowing that kind of money for exclusives. Like I said, it's too early to tell at this point. Let's just wait and argue again if and when the PS3 and Revolution both launch. My prediction stands that M and N will share the #1 and 2 spot with the PS3 coming in a close #3. Between M and N, i'm not sure if I can make a prediction which will take the #1 spot. I think the key for Sony to prove my prediction wrong will be for them to have an extremely strong launch across the world. I couldn't care less if they launched in volume in Japan, but the key is will they be able to launch in volume across the rest of the world?

No one ever said that it's catastrophic; however, a console has never won without Japan, and it certainly is a big deal that the 360 can't sell at all in a major market.

Whether the new exclusives will make a difference remains to be seen, but you can say that about 360 and Wii exclusives as well. I was simply replying to the statement that it wouldn't have the same exclusives. Take it as you will.

Its so funny someone would mention PR. But look at Nintendo with the name change.. SO many people said.. no way... Then comes E3.. an boom.. no one complains about it anymore? PR blunders with ps3? Oh come on you act as if Sony announced that the ps3 is only going to have kiddie games. That they are going to charge developers 25 dollars per game made or something. Some insane figure. Seriously what did they do horribly wrong? What did they do that was so horrible that would actually cause people to not buy the ps3?

ReubenRosa said:
What did they do that was so horrible that would actually cause people to not buy the ps3?

Charge $600 for it. A lot of people will still buy it, but I'm not one of them.

Back