Updated to ver 2004 win10 and now I have to "Re-Activate" windows WTF?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I let win update this current machine to 2004 version.... after all was done and complete, I get a window that pops up 2 times after every reboot and says I have to activate windows.... however when i go into settings/activation area, it says "Windows is activated with a digital key"... i dont get this. WTF is going on, and why should I have to re activate this machine again? My windows install is 100% legit, this shouldnt be happening

There might be an activation troubleshooter you can run to see if it fixes the issue. I have had one 1909 --> 2004 un-activate on me. Ran the activation troubleshooter and it re-activated.

I am having this exact same issue, but only on one computer. I upgraded about 7 computers to version 2004 all at the same time, along with 4 VMs, and this one computer is the only computer giving me any activation issues. It's an old HP computer with a Phenom X4 that came with Windows 7, and I upgraded it to Windows 10 soon after Windows 10 was released. Then a few years later I moved the guts into a new case because the HP case used 80mm fans and the new case uses 120mm fans. The Windows 7 sticker was on the HP case, which is now buried in my garage somewhere...

I always seem to get burned one way or another when I do these updates as soon as possible, but for some reason I keep doing it anyway...

working on it right now as i type.. brb with verdict.

Says nothing found... This is the weirdest issue ive had in windows in a long while. It says windows is activated, but yet I still get the blue popup screen upon initial start of windows saying activation required... Look in this pic, WINDOWS IS ACTIVATED!! WTF!
activation.png

If it was me I'd click on the "Get Help" and talk to Microsoft, or create a new User Account and see if the blue popup appears when you log into that account. Hope this helps.

hmmm, appreciate this info, i will try that. Thanks

reading about these types of issues makes me glad I always do a clean reformat from an iso for every one of these major updates

reading about these types of issues makes me glad I always do a clean reformat from an iso for every one of these major updates
Reading about these types of issues makes me glad I don't have to use Windows daily lol. Format on update? Isn't that Windows95 stuff? Nothing has improved.

Whenever I've had activation get fucky, re-entering it via the cmd line always seems to work

slmgr /ipk YOUR_KEY_HERE
slmgr /ato
just tried this and still didnt work. A window did come up saying "something was successful" so i rebooted to see if it worked, and nope! still have a popup box saying "licence will expire soon, please reactivate" Thanks anyways tho for trying to help

Can you use the "change pruduct key" option, and just enter the same key?

I'm curious about that screenshot. "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service." This means your Windows 10 was activated with a KMS key, which enterprises can use, and which periodically checks in to an activation server to verify the license. A home user absolutely would not use this. How did you get your Windows 10?

bought a code from a link on techpowerup. Bought 4 at one time so all my pcs will be legit. Pretty common practice.

bought a code from a link on techpowerup. Bought 4 at one time so all my pcs will be legit. Pretty common practice.
So in other words, keys not intended to be sold. Those aren't valid per Microsoft's eula. Not legit. You have to know a $10 key is too good to be true, right?

why is it not legit? then why are places selling them. Legit enough for me.

why is it not legit? then why are places selling them. Legit enough for me.
Per Microsoft eula they are invalid. What you bought was for enterprises not individual users. Just because it's sold doesn't mean it's automatically legitimate. It's no better than Warez in Microsoft's eyes. The community generally doesn't care, of course, to the point where some mistakenly think they are.

Key might have been blacklisted.

Such is the risk with those keys.

I don't know anything about "links on techpowerup" but your key is clearly not a retail key. You may want to talk to the seller about where these keys came from, as yours is clearly problematic.

Just a sidenote: Someone selling stolen goods and you buy it, doesn't make it legal. If you 'bought' an enterprise key, it's 100% not legit.

So in other words, keys not intended to be sold. Those aren't valid per Microsoft's eula. Not legit. You have to know a $10 key is too good to be true, right?
This is not always the case as i paid no more than 10 for my pro retail key....Matter of fact their are some known good sellers right here on [H] from time to time.
Capture.PNG

Been using mine for at least 7+ years on one build after another and NEVER a glitch with activation. Yes i know mine will self destruct as soon as Microsoft becomes aware i spent less than a 100 dollars for my key? Its just a matter of time they will catch on? :D I will admit the OP seems to have purchased pirated Keys? Or what ever there called...I could swear we have one or more good sellers here at [H]

This is not always the case as i paid no more than 10 for my pro retail key....Matter of fact their are some known good sellers right here on [H] from time to time.
View attachment 253632
Been using mine for at least 7+ years on one build after another and NEVER a glitch with activation. Yes i know mine will self destruct as soon as Microsoft becomes aware i spent less than a 100 dollars for my key? Its just a matter of time they will catch on? :D I will admit the OP seems to have purchased pirated Keys? Or what ever there called...I could swear we have one or more good sellers here at [H]
You completely missed the point. Even if it activates, it isn't a legit key as in licensed properly. Microsoft doesn't actively go after these keys but they are still no better than Warez to Ms.

Just FYI - Just because *your* "key that fell out of the back of a truck" will always work forever, doesn't mean every single "key that fell out of the back of a truck" will always work forever.

Buyer beware etc.

View attachment 253632

The problem is it can be the case as you can't buy Windows legit for ten dollars.

Key blacklisted = End of story. Go buy another 10 dollar key for another twelve months of use.

The problem is it can be the case as you can't buy Windows legit for ten dollars.

Key blacklisted = End of story. Go buy another 10 dollar key for another twelve months of use.
but mine is NOT blacklisted, nor have any of mine ever been....but of course you know better right? All my LEGIT keys came straight from Technet or what ever it was called many years ago...Seems like i got around 7 retal pro keys for 20 bucks....so yea it was a hot deal i got right here in the [H] hot deals

Last edited:
but mine is NOT blacklisted, nor have any of mine ever been....but of course you know better right? All my LEGIT keys came straight from Technet or what ever it was called many years ago...Seems like i got around 7 retal pro keys for 20 bucks....so yea it was a hot deal i got right here in the [H] hot deals
Except Technet EULA clearly stated that the licenses are valid for testing use only. They are _not_ legit keys if you misused Technet.

Geezus Christ, relax.

If the key does not work, the key has been blacklisted. Technet was where these cheap keys first originated from, only ever intended for testing purposes - People abused the system and a good thing was shut down. Buy a new 'legit key' for $5.00.

Back