Updated! Moving to mATX /w 240mm AIO - Suggestions needed!

Ultima99

Supreme [H]ardness
Updated: Added a new post with lots more in depth details about my search!

Hey guys I think this is probably to ask so I'm hoping some of you have some good ideas for me.

Currently running a new 7700k build in an old Fractal Design Define R3 that I'm ready to retire.

I had been hoping we'd see the release of a new R6 model, but it seems with the Define S and Define C the R5 might be around for a bit. As I've been hanging around in limbo on this the idea of moving to mATX came to mind. I'd only need to swap out my motherboard for an mATX model and I'd be good to go.

The real killer here is what case to go with. I'm heavily considering the highly acclaimed Eisbaer 240 to make the move to water at the same time. Add in that I do require 1 5.25" ODD drive bay for my BD-R and the field narrows considerably. I've looked at many many cases and most seem to be either "No ODD for you!" or "Hey lets have 2 or 3 ODD bays in a small case!" greatly diminishing their ability to handle a 240mm AIO.

Hoping you guys have some good ideas I've not seen yet.

Thanks!

Edit: Specific Hardware Requirements

Component Details:
GPU - 1x MSI GTX 970 LE is 277mm
PSU - Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W is 170mm
Alphacool Eisbaer 240mm is 55mm thick with fans. I don't believe this qualifies as "slim" and many cases claim support for a "slim 240mm". Please correct me if I'm wrong.
ODD - Full size BDR
HDD - 2x WD Blacks 3.5"
SSD is M.2 so no 2.5" drive capacity is required

Last edited:
Not sure what their current offerings are, but I know Lian-Li used to make some m-ATX cases with a single 5.25" bay. I actually have one I'm trying to get rid of...an old PC-v351. A 240 rad would be a tight squeeze though....would require some modding and a very short 240 rad. The newer versions might have a bit more space, since mine was made when AIO coolers were a new thing.

Caselabs S5 would work too...but it sounds like you're looking for something more compact. Maybe the Caselabs Bullet series?

Not sure what their current offerings are, but I know Lian-Li used to make some m-ATX cases with a single 5.25" bay. I actually have one I'm trying to get rid of...an old PC-v351. A 240 rad would be a tight squeeze though....would require some modding and a very short 240 rad. The newer versions might have a bit more space, since mine was made when AIO coolers were a new thing.

Caselabs S5 would work too...but it sounds like you're looking for something more compact. Maybe the Caselabs Bullet series?

Unfortunately only the regular ATX model will support my PSU. That and they're very expensive. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have already looked at Lian Li btw and it seems they've been running the same models for years. Wasn't seeing much that looked acceptable.

I'm quite happy with the Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX chassis I got one of my computers in. You can fit 2 240 radiators in that if you want. I've had my H100i AIO mounted in the top and the front before so I know that works.

Yeah I've looked at the 350D and it does everything I need, but in a size where I might as well just buy an R5.

Last edited:

First off, aio? Go [H]ard, go custom loop.

Secondly, while the 350D has 5.25" bays, the case becomes unbearably ugly when you use one of them. The covers on the front panel are a fair bit wider than an actual drive, so if you remove one of them and install your bluray drive you'll end up with a nice wide gap between the sides of the drive and the side of the case. Also the drive ends up recessed by ~ 1/4" compared to the other cover and the rest of the front panel. It's so ugly I went with an external burner when I used a 350D for my wife's computer.
They've got an image showing what I'm talking about here: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/57737-corsair-obsidian-series-350d/?page=2

It's a shame too, I really like the 350D, it's got plenty of space and is attractive. But as has been said before, it's big for mATX, it's way to easy to pop the front filter cover out by bumping the front of the case, and the drive bays are useless if you like the looks of the case.

Maybe I'd consider a custom loop if I had the time, but I don't between working OT and being back in college. The Eisbaer will do a great job and if I go any further than that it will probably be to delid and relid my 7700k.

Thanks for the heads up on the 350D. Now it is definitely disqualified.

EDIT : Oops, missed the 240mm rad requirement :oops:

I had an old build (3570K @ 4.6GHz, 2x 7970, AIO, BFG ES800 non-modular PSU) in a Silverstone TJ08-E.
Was surprised how much I could cram into such a small space (giggity)

TJ08-E-34View.jpg

I removed the drive cage to free up some space and improve airflow
tj08-internal-1280x1024.jpg

A few I could think of / find easily

Fractal Design Arc Mini
Fractal Design Core 1300
Corsair 350D
NCASE M1 (if you get a slim drive) << this will be the smallest most likely
Bitfenix Prodigy M
Lian-Li PC-A04
Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3

There are probably a bunch more if you don't mind doing some cutting.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I've actually made a spreadsheet where I made a list of all manufacturers I could think of and looked up all their mATX cases then checked them for compatibility with my components

Component Details:
GPU - 1x MSI GTX 970 LE is 277mm
PSU - Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W is 170mm
Alphacool Eisbaer 240mm is 55mm thick with fans. I don't believe this qualifies as "slim" and many cases claim support for a "slim 240mm". Please correct me if I'm wrong.
ODD - Full size BDR
HDD - 2x WD Blacks 3.5"
SSD is M.2 so no 2.5" drive capacity is required

So once I check all the cases to meet minimum specs and filtering out those I just don't like the look of I'm down to a few options.

Cases I like but won't meet spec:
Bitfenix Prodigy M - Barely won't handle my PSU as the GPU will get in the way. Also the radiator conflicts with the ODD.
Xigmatek Aquila - Radiator conflicts with the ODD.
Ncase M1 - Many conflicts.

I'd love to go Fractal again, but the Arc Mini R2 is almost as big as my Define R3 (I'd just get an R5 and stay ATX) and their Define Mini needs an update to meet spec, but with the Define C Mini this looks doubtful. Core 1300 states "slim" rad support. Barring new models if I go Fractal it's going to be with an R5, but I really don't need such a big case.

Corsair 350D is a no go due to ODD aesthetic issues as noted above.

Here's the short list of contenders so far:
Antec P50

Lian Li:
PC-A41
PC-V360
PC-V354

Silverstone KL06

Cooler Master: Silencio 352

Raidmax Hyperion

Vendors that either don't have a case that meets spec or I find ugly:
Fractal
Corsair
Phanteks
NZXT
Chieftec
Enermax
Inwin
Zalman
Rosewill
Bitfenix
Thermaltake
Xigmatek
Ncase

If you guys have mfgs I should look at please speak up. If you think I've overlooked a model let me know. This is 18 mfgs I've researched so far and I'm willing to review any others.

Well, if you search for slim radiators most hits are in the 25-28mm thickness range. Your radiator is 30mm thick, so it's borderline slim? :p
I looked at some images of the Core 1300 case and it looks like there's room in the front for a normal thickness radiator. But I haven't been able to find any measurements. And if you just need room for two drives that might help even more. So I wouldn't discount that case if you like the rest of it, with out some investigating. Maybe send them a mail?

Just a thought; there are many manufacturers (Swiftech comes to mind first) that make prefilled "AIO" kits which are actually built with real pumps, waterblocks, and fittings attached to a combination radiator/reservoir. These are neat because you can buy them and install them with the ease of an AIO, and expand them later if you like to add more rads, blocks, pumps or whatever you like.

I would say a 30mm radiator is slim. They dont really come much slimmer. 45 is average and 60 is thick.

As for aesthetics, why not just stealth the drive with the cover?

Edit, the 1300 says it supports radiators of 31mm thickness in both spots, you should be just fine

Last edited:
Not really.
73NwJqD.png
And where exactly do you buy that ODD slot-load cover? I can't find it listed on corsair's site, so I'm guessing that was a custom milled piece for a one-off trade show rig. And I'm not being sarcastic, I've got a 350D that I'd put one on in a heartbeat if I could buy it.

Back