Updated Firmware Available for 6th, 7th and 8th Generation Intel Core Processors

Does anyone know if Intel is going to make these available to the general public?

still no firmware for my i7 980X Gulftown...

At least it's listed, before they were saying they wouldn't be going that far back. Though, odds are you get an update from your motherboard vendor are quite low.

At least it's listed, before they were saying they wouldn't be going that far back. Though, odds are you get an update from your motherboard vendor are quite low.

yeah according to the Intel pdf, beta firmware exists for its 2nd generation Sandy Bridge, 3rd generation Ivy Bridge, 4th generation Haswell, and 5th generation Broadwell lines, though there is no timetable on when exactly they will reach production status...going back even further, Intel's 1st generation Arrandale and Clarkdale chips have firmware updates in the pre-beta stage

Good, doing the right thing. The least that needs to happen. Probably going to be multiple releases since they are still investigating meltdown and specre.

why isn't the 4790k listed on that pdf from intel ???
are they not going to support it ? or just haven't put it on list ??

I don't see it , they have a bunch of haswell cpus that I've never heard of though .......

I just updated my MSI KRAIT Gaming mobo with a BIOS that supposedly has a microcode update but GRC's InSpector says I'm still vulnerable to Meltdown. Have I missed something? All the latest Windows 10 updates have been installed.

running the latest version of Inspector ?
running as administrator ?
reboot ?

Does anyone know if Intel is going to make these available to the general public?
these are not something John Q Public needs or gets. these updates go to manufactures they bake them into a bios update and then put them up for our use. The problem is this is the second version of the "fix" the first one bricked peoples pc and caused reboot loops. What kind of havoc will this update do. All in the name of patching exploits that are not even in use in the wild...

I just updated my MSI KRAIT Gaming mobo with a BIOS that supposedly has a microcode update but GRC's InSpector says I'm still vulnerable to Meltdown. Have I missed something? All the latest Windows 10 updates have been installed.
are you sure the microcode update was for this exploit?

For Example.. The Intel IME Engine bug is also listed on BIOS release notes with those exact same words.

I assumed it is. It says "update microcode for security vulnerabilities"
I expect the actual updates with this fix in 2-3 weeks 6 months for older than 7th gen imho Intel should just give anyone with a Intel system a coupon to a fixed stepping 8th gen. Eol=sol and a software fix for 6-8th gen will be out eventually there will be consequences and vendors will need to push it... Offer 20-30% off a new 8700 8500 or 8100 to get the coupon show you bought a Intel soc or cpu 5-7th gen or newer. Small print waver for class action...

A more informative tool is the windows powershell script released by Microsoft. I suggest you look into that to get more detailed info.

Back