[UPDATED] Beware, Latest Nvidia Drivers May Damage Your PC

cageymaru

Fully [H]
[UPDATED] Beware, Latest Nvidia Drivers May Damage Your PC.
[UPDATED] Beware, Latest Nvidia Drivers May Damage Your PC

Destructoid article. Seems their website is offline sometimes.
http://www.destructoid.com/don-t-install-the-newest-nvidia-driver-it-s-breaking-pcs-347362.phtml

If you have an Nvidia graphics cards it’s recommended that you avoid installing the latest 364.47 and 364.51 drivers for the time being. Seems that users are reporting so many issues that Nvidia did a rollback to 362.00. There are some reports of dead video cards apparently.

Before some dweeb swears I'm trying to be sensationalist, I'm just trying to report what I read so that someone here doesn't have a really bad day because of a video card driver. Rollback my brethren!

Looks like its screwing something up that can affect the pc from loading into windows. Seems like most have been able to fix the issue by going into safemode and uninstalling the drivers and reinstalled 362.00 or older.

Thanks for the heads up.

This might be a problem for me. Geforce experience was bugging me for days to install 364.47 so I finally did without knowing there was issues, first time I tried to play a game I was getting hard lock and red screens and now any game I start the I get the dxgi device removed error and it crashes even after DDU'ing those off and rolling back.

All of this is so funny...the last two days people have been reporting so many problems. I've installed both sets of drivers with no issues at all. I think it comes down to poorly maintained systems and poor driver update procedures from users.

I had a weird issue with the start menu (Win10) not opening after installing 364.47. Rebooted and the problem went away. No issues with games or video.

All of this is so funny...the last two days people have been reporting so many problems. I've installed both sets of drivers with no issues at all. I think it comes down to poorly maintained systems and poor driver update procedures from users.

Yes, because Nvidia pulls drivers due to people not maintaining their systems and not knowing how to install them.... oh wait. Go troll somewhere else.

Come on, really? If that were the case it would have been an issue every driver release. This is a problem on nvidias end.

Read somewhere it might have something to do with the express install, I always use the custom install option because I have no use for the 3d vision drivers and haven't reported any issues so far 364.47

Well it happened to me, that stupid nVidia experience thing wanted me to update the drivers for the division, (which I did buy), and it blue screened Windows 10. It would blue screen on startup also. I tried reverting back to a restore point but that also failed. Luckily my gaming PC is generally for gaming, so I just reformatted and installed from scratch. That said, when it came time to install a video driver, I did use the latest 364.47 but I did it manually and not with the experience app. I did the custom install both times, (just driver and physx thingy, no 3D stuffs), and the second time it worked fine.

Read somewhere it might have something to do with the express install, I always use the custom install option because I have no use for the 3d vision drivers and haven't reported any issues so far 364.47

I had read the same. They say if you select custom and let it do a clean install, it works fine.

Thanks for the heads up cageymaru. I have no issues with 364.47 but I'll update anyway just to be safe.

I had read the same. They say if you select custom and let it do a clean install, it works fine.

Well then it won't affect me. I've been doing custom installs every since they started bundling GeForce Experience.

Bad form Nvidia! If you'd stop wasting so much time with the stupid Experience app, maybe you'd have the manpower to catch shit like this before release.

Is it just affecting Windows 10 users? Because I have had no issues on 8.1.

Yes, because Nvidia pulls drivers due to people not maintaining their systems and not knowing how to install them.... oh wait. Go troll somewhere else.

This really annoys the hell out of me too. Whenever somebody has an issue with nVidia drivers, the default response is always "what did you do" in some form or another. When it's AMD, the default response is always "wow AMD has shitty drivers", even if it's 100% PEBCAK.

By chance do you work for EA's quality assurance team?

This really annoys the hell out of me too. Whenever somebody has an issue with nVidia drivers, the default response is always "what did you do" in some form or another. When it's AMD, the default response is always "wow AMD has shitty drivers", even if it's 100% PEBCAK.

Yeah. I've had bad driver experiences with both sides going back to the late 90's. Shit happens. They can't account for every single one of the zillions of different configurations you can have, both hardware and software. This isn't the closed-off Mac ecosystem.

Yeah. I've had bad driver experiences with both sides going back to the late 90's. Shit happens. They can't account for every single one of the zillions of different configurations you can have, both hardware and software. This isn't the closed-off Mac ecosystem.

The new AMD 16.3 drivers released last night have an on / off switch for power saving on the Fury lineup. Didn't know if you still had one in a second PC or not. Just wanted you to know as I remember that the power saving feature gave you headaches.

The new AMD 16.3 drivers released last night have an on / off switch for power saving on the Fury lineup. Didn't know if you still had one in a second PC or not. Just wanted you to know as I remember that the power saving feature gave you headaches.

Oh this is good news, I don't have a Fury any more but I'm eyeballing a particular 390X right now.

if the driver destroys the card, do they replace it?

Well, I downloaded but had not installed the driver, I will now wait, thanks OP. :) Besides, I am not playing any of the games that this driver improves upon anyways.

I have Geforce Experience installed but I haven't updated in a few weeks it says 361.91 in installed the version before 362.00

I was able to install 364.47 after doing a clean install. It hasn't crashed in game and I played about 14-18 hours of The Division so far.

Had 364.47...which doesn't seem to be on the list anymore.. I went ahead and grabbed the newest ones, 364.51 and clean installed.

I'm skipping these drivers...too many potential issues...not worth the risk...sticking with 361.91

364.51 here, zero issues. 980ti

im a little disappointed that the division cant run ultra @ 1440p 60 fps though.

-sadface-

To recap:

Nvidia releases a driver that causes Windows to boot to a black screen on certain configurations. Nvidia then pulls said driver. The idiots that run Destructoid, a site that is known to sometimes load, publish an article claiming the aforementioned driver "breaks" your PC. Meanwhile, the fools that populate Reddit's PC gaming subs briefly cease posting le epic Gaben memes to whine and cry about their irrevocably broken PCs. At no point does anyone boot into safe mode to remove the faulty driver.

Is this correct?

To recap:

Nvidia releases a driver that causes Windows to boot to a black screen on certain configurations. Nvidia then pulls said driver. The idiots that run Destructoid, a site that is known to sometimes load, publish an article claiming the aforementioned driver "breaks" your PC. Meanwhile, the fools that populate Reddit's PC gaming subs briefly cease posting le epic Gaben memes to whine and cry about their irrevocably broken PCs. At no point does anyone boot into safe mode to remove the faulty driver.

Is this correct?
Yes.

Confirming a problem with the drivers. Yanked and system restored back to 362.0.

Symptom- all three screens went yellow and machine locked with sound loop while in use. No blue screen. Happened twice- only change- nVidia driver update.

Those puppies are yanked!

Clean install of 364.51 using DDU to clean the old install out. Installed fine and fixed a weird dual monitor issue I was having in Windows 10. I'm happy with this update.

Last edited:
Back