Update Your Apple Devices Now To Fix A Terrifying Security Bug

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you own an iPhone, you need to read this article now and then promptly update your phone. According to this article, hackers can access every stored password on your phone. All it takes is receiving an infected iMessage or e-mail that contains a bad image file and iMessage or Safari will automatically render it. :eek:

There are gaping security holes in Apple’s operating systems that can be exploited through its default messaging, web browsing, or email software. For instance, hackers could grab your passwords just by sending you an infected iMessage—and all they’d need is your phone number.

Terrifying! Gaping! Hackable ! It's an Apple Issue !!!

Lets just ignore all the articles about Android security. But hey, since this is [H] those don't really count. Amirite?

The good news is Apple actually updates their devices...unlike Android.

Lets just ignore all the articles about Android security. But hey, since this is [H] those don't really count. Amirite?

My Nexus 5x updates just fine, every time. Guess that makes me exceptional. :D

Does stored mean passwords you saved to access Web sites or what? I either missed that part in the article or they did not say.

Technically, Android is very very quick to update their security issues. It's the OEM's that are at fault. And everyone knows that's an issue.

Does stored mean passwords you saved to access Web sites or what? I either missed that part in the article or they did not say.

The exploit allows the attacker to run remote code, what he does with that code is pure speculation. It would probably take another exploit, which hasn't been found, to access safari passwords.

Basically, this is a clickbait BS article.

Technically, Android is very very quick to update their security issues. It's the OEM's that are at fault. And everyone knows that's an issue.

Your splitting hairs trying to make the Android situation sound better than it is.

Oh no, how scary what will I do? Oh I just updated my device like 2 minutes ago.

Your splitting hairs trying to make the Android situation sound better than it is.

+1 Fixing the main Android code does nothing for the users actually using the device. I get the iOS update the day it comes out every time.

I never got the Stagefright fix for my Android device - which is why I have an Apple phone now.

It isn't Android OS's fault this happens - but it most definitely is Google's fault for allowing the ecosystem to be this way.

Google does update Android. Nexus devices receive a minimum monthly update.

Now, if you wanted to be more accurate in where your criticism should lie, you'd say "...unlike Samsung, Motorola, LG, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc."

Android gets updated. The OEMs and Carriers are what hold the updates back.

Android gets updated. The OEMs and Carriers are what hold the updates back.

That is why I always used custom ROM's with mine when I had Android. Verizon was months behind with updates. Using a custom ROM, it was at most a day behind. They just make it harder and harder to do that, though. I'm on iPhone now (after using Windows Phone for a while). It gets updates very quickly. Security wise, I'm happy.

Both iOS and Android have issues, both fix them pretty quick once found. However most Android are 3rd party and locked into the carrier and only get updates once the carrier is ok with it and releases an update to those phones. It is not to bad for most newer flagship phones, but outside of that, you never see anything that doesn't take months or a year to be pushed out if ever. This is why I only consider Googles phones, the hold back on updates for the others is just plain stupid.

Should be noted I have and use every day an iPhone and Nexus phone (work and personal), never had serious issue with either and both get updates pretty often.

I've used Android for years and for most users phones remain vulnerable. That's the reality. Typical people are not unlocking their boot loaders and installing custom recoveries in order to flash a secure rom. At the end of the day i switched to a 6S plus. No it's not impenetrable but it receives updates quickly and the phone performs beautifully. I'm not arguing one is better than the other in every Way, but in the realm of updates Apple is better.

You are either:
1) ignorant
2) stupid

amirite?

full disclosure: I have an iPhone 6s, Nexus 6, Nexus 5x.

Back