Update Win 10 Pro from 1511 to 1703 Creators Update-Experience

Moto Guzzi

[H]ard|Gawd
When I started the PC the updates for security, 1607 & 1703 was ready to update.

Download speed 2Mb/s
1-it started the morning, later the afternoon it had installed the security updates, showed 1703 ready but it battled with 1603.
I let it download the whole night, it got stuck it looks like, a hole in my bandwith.
Two days waisted here.

2-Yesterday I got hold of the Update assistant, which did a few things.
Looks like it chuck out the 1703 & 1607.
3-I then did a Update fault finding, which said it fixed a few things.

4-I check my version status, still at 1511 build, Privacy checked as required.
5-I then let it download to 3% and switch it off for the night.

6-This morning I started the PC again, and the only update showing again was 1703 Creators Update.
This time it remembered the 3% and I let it continiue till afternoon at 100%.
It the rebooted a few times, and around 30% installing it reboot & did a diskfix which fixed some errors it said.
it the continiue to install sucessfully...So far everything looks ok, it takes longer to boot however.

7-Now its busy downloading KB2267602(WD definitions) & KB4034674(1703 Cumulative).

8-I am glad it over and went straight from Ver 1511 to 1703.

wow that sounds pretty damn invovled for a simple system update. Glad you have your machine back.

Not trying to start any Linux>Windows arguments at all... just hard to imagine how MS hasn't ever made fixing their updating process a priority. I mean never mind Linux... Apples *nix OS also updates multiple times faster and with less annoyance. You would think at some point in the last 10 years MS would have made =ing Apple a priority. They really should have used Windows 10 as an opportunity to add some form of inode like file handling to their FS and got their shit together.

What surprised me, was that after I installed update assistant, & did a Fault diagnosis regarding Windows Update from the system itself, it was able to go straight from 1511 to 1703 Creator. Before that it kept on downloading & eating up my ADSL- cap to 1607 without getting to compete 1607 update, this was a waist of time.

I see Task Schedular has a lot to do with Windows Update.

Last edited:
op, all my updated w10 1703 installs do seem to boot a little slower. I guess that's normal now.

chad, if you don't want to start a Linux vs windows argument don't bring up Linux in a windows thread...
edit: or vise versa

Last edited:
op, all my updated w10 1703 installs do seem to boot a little slower. I guess that's normal now.

chad, if you don't want to start a Linux vs windows argument don't bring up Linux in a windows thread...
edit: or vise versa
No doubt I should have stuck to OSX and started that war instead. ;)

Fair enough. Its hard not to start anything mentioning a competing product in the windows forum.

It is of course hard to talk about windows update without comparing it to systems that don't have the same issues.

MS update process is a hot mess and clearly < compared to every other major OS on the market. I am not looking to argue it we all know its true... and I do honestly wish MS would fix it. I understand perhaps why they haven't as I am not sure with the limitations of ntfs and their core tech its possible to achieve the same level of polish seen in OSX and (yes I have to use the word) Linux. It would be really nice if one of these major windows 10 updates actually included a move to a more modern MS file system. Yes clearly such an update would be tricky but if the pay off was an a MS designed inode system that allowed them to start pushing updates in minutes instead of hours+blue screen sessions + multiple reboots I think it would make windows a much better os.

most people aren't getting bsods and all theses issues during updates. there could have been something else causing the issue but there is no info about that in the op.
usually you only hear from the people that have problems. otherwise id have a dozen or so threads telling people how things have gone smoothly for all the recent builds ive done.

What surprised me, was that after I installed update assistant, & did a Fault diagnosis regarding Windows Update from the system itself, it was able to go straight from 1511 to 1703 Creator. Before that it kept on downloading & eating up my ADSL- cap to 1607 without getting to compete 1607 update, this was a waist of time.

I see Task Schedular has a lot to do with Windows Update.

The real question is, why did you not just create the CU installer on a flash drive with the mediacreationtool? Once you did that, you could have run the install from there and that would have been that. After that, all you would have had left is the updates from between March and now. (Usually just 5 updates, one install and one reboot.) Why must people make it so much harder than it really is?

wow that sounds pretty damn invovled for a simple system update. Glad you have your machine back.

Not trying to start any Linux>Windows arguments at all... just hard to imagine how MS hasn't ever made fixing their updating process a priority. I mean never mind Linux... Apples *nix OS also updates multiple times faster and with less annoyance. You would think at some point in the last 10 years MS would have made =ing Apple a priority. They really should have used Windows 10 as an opportunity to add some form of inode like file handling to their FS and got their shit together.

The install is far simpler than what you quoted works. See the last post where I explained how it should be done.

The real question is, why did you not just create the CU installer on a flash drive with the mediacreationtool? Once you did that, you could have run the install from there and that would have been that. After that, all you would have had left is the updates from between March and now. (Usually just 5 updates, one install and one reboot.) Why must people make it so much harder than it really is?

Right... updates need to be installed on your flash drive, a couple CDs, one DvD, or 50 floppy disks. Why would you expect automatic updates to be automatic. Crazy talk. lmao

I get that most peoples automatic windows updates don't run into issues.... that doesn't make them un annoying however. Windows has the most annoying and terrible update process in computing today. Its imo the biggest area MS could improve in windows.... instead they are more concerned about juggling settings menus and trying to make the UI look flatter... flatter man flatter.

End users shouldn't need mediacreationtools for updates.

Right... updates need to be installed on your flash drive, a couple CDs, one DvD, or 50 floppy disks. Why would you expect automatic updates to be automatic. Crazy talk. lmao

I get that most peoples automatic windows updates don't run into issues.... that doesn't make them un annoying however. Windows has the most annoying and terrible update process in computing today. Its imo the biggest area MS could improve in windows.... instead they are more concerned about juggling settings menus and trying to make the UI look flatter... flatter man flatter.

End users shouldn't need mediacreationtools for updates.

Dude, please stop with the intentionally incorrect information. Download the Media Creation Tool, run it, create it on the flash drive, done. That is all there is to creating it and you are just making it FUDLY complicated.

Dude, please stop with the intentionally incorrect information. Download the Media Creation Tool, run it, create it on the flash drive, done. That is all there is to creating it and you are just making it FUDLY complicated.

FUD ?

Do you really think regular users should be installing updates on external media. Your defending that as a good update process for a modern OS ?

Suggesting someone ran into issues with their auto updates because they didn't simply download a media creation tool and create an update disk is one of the silliest things I have ever heard.

I am not saying the ops issues are a common set of issues tons of windows users run into. I mean I'm sure they are all as wise as you and are downloading their updates onto floppy disk first or something.

Come on even you can't believe that your solution is acceptable. Windows update sucks its ok you can admit and still not hate MS or windows. MS should be making improving their update system priority #1... and hard core windows users like yourslef should be telling them that every chance you get.

With a few changes to their file system (I grant that isn't dead simple to achieve but it needs to happen) there is no reason the windows update process shouldn't be at least as smooth as MacOS updates. Windows uses a hybrid kernel that frankly if the windows file system used some form of inode addressing windows updates if anything should be smother then the *nix update process as even kernel and driver updates shouldn't really require rebooting. (where as a *nix os needs to reboot for kernels and for some systemd type stuff to switch to the new version... windows shouldn't technically need to do that if it was done right) I guess my point is from a technical stand point MS should be able to build an actual smoother update process then *nix, but as long as windows users eat this sh*t they will simply continue giving you major updates that simply hide menus, lock out features, and add flatter icons.

Last edited:
After reading this subforum for a few months, I think I'm the only one in existence who hasn't had a single issue updating any of my 5 personal Windows 10 machines. Maybe I'm the chosen one who Bill Gates prothlesized about in the 80s.

After reading this subforum for a few months, I think I'm the only one in existence who hasn't had a single issue updating any of my 5 personal Windows 10 machines. Maybe I'm the chosen one who Bill Gates prothlesized about in the 80s.
I have seen multiple stations (about 5) go through the OS updates and they all worked just fine too. I did have to roll back one of my stations to 1607 because of the Firefox bug on 1703 but the update process itself was flawless.

I'm down to 8 machines having failures (which aren't failures, they just need to process other updates before they do the upgrades, and 50 machines still needing the update. By the time these do that, it'll be time for 1709 to come out!

And then I get to upgrade 800 machines again.

Fun!

I've not had any outright failures, I'm thankful to say. I've had "technically it failed" on dozens, where rebooting it a couple times so it flushes out whatever update was preventing it from applying the upgrade. I've had "my 60GB SSD is not free enough with the 7 years of Office updates bloating my Windows\Installer folder", and I've had "I'm a shitty Atom that MS has excluded from 1703", but every machine that could take an upgrade has done so without my having to touch it if I just let it sit there and do its thing.

But I'm impatient. My Fridays typically consist of "go clean up WSUS upgrades" if I don't have other more pressing tickets.

Update:
Just remember I bought and used ths PC for photo-editing. Its most of its life not connected to the Internet.
I am not that clued up on Windows 10, still use XP as my I7 Windows-7 Laptop motherboard packed up out of gurantee.
I read about the other methods of installation, but at that stage the PC just downloaded to no end...

Today:
Today when I booted it from start(Not a restart), it booted superfast (seconds), just like before, so I am happy. I never owned a PC boot this fast.
However if I do a restart, its a bit slower.

I think I am more than happy how this update turned out, against all odds I read about.

Fast Boot=With wireless Keybord & Mouse switched off.
Longer boot=Wireless Keybord & Mouse switched on(As with restarts)

Last edited:
Manofgod seems to forget that Apple users have their uncomplicated, fast and easy updates entirely without any men from god telling them how to do them. They just work.

I can't believe there's people in this thread trying to make a point of how downloading what's essentially the latest Windows ISO and shoving it on a USB stick using the media creation tool is the best way to update an OS!

Wow! Just...Wow!

I have two Windows machines here, both updated just fine. Having said that, they aren't loaded to the eyeballs with antivirus software, malware, viruses that the antivirus software doesn't pick up and other general shit - In fact one barely gets used and a 7yo uses the other one.

But I make good money fixing the plethora of issues that arise everytime MS release a major update and the masses find their PC's booting to nothing to a black screen with spinning dots or, better still, a totally corrupted and unrecoverable user profile and all the recovery hives gone.

This isn't me bagging out Windows, this is the harsh reality of the situation as a Windows user.

Update:
Just remember I bought and used ths PC for photo-editing. Its most of its life not connected to the Internet.
I am not that clued up on Windows 10, still use XP as my I7 Windows-7 Laptop motherboard packed up out of gurantee.
I read about the other methods of installation, but at that stage the PC just downloaded to no end...

Today:
Today when I booted it from start(Not a restart), it booted superfast (seconds), just like before, so I am happy. I never owned a PC boot this fast.
However if I do a restart, its a bit slower.

I think I am more than happy how this update turned out, against all odds I read about.

Fast Boot=With wireless Keybord & Mouse switched off.
Longer boot=Wireless Keybord & Mouse switched on(As with restarts)
good catch there. I also have an issue like that. if my usb hdd is connected it adds ~10 seconds to boot up. I haven't been using it for a long while and forgot aboot it. glad you got it sorted.

I can't believe there's people in this thread trying to make a point of how downloading what's essentially the latest Windows ISO and shoving it on a USB stick using the media creation tool is the best way to update an OS!

It's actually a very good way of upgrading that Microsoft recommends. It's a more manual way of doing the same thing since major updates like the creators update essentially reinstall Windows anyways. Most people can get major updates through Windows Update but some people (myself included) want to have some granular control over it. This is just for major version updates, not monthly roll ups.

It's actually a very good way of upgrading that Microsoft recommends. It's a more manual way of doing the same thing since major updates like the creators update essentially reinstall Windows anyways. Most people can get major updates through Windows Update but some people (myself included) want to have some granular control over it. This is just for major version updates, not monthly roll ups.

I realize it's for major updates. But you're still downloading and installing software, one's automated, one requires physical exertion but is still automated - It doesn't give any more control over the process and if something's going to go wrong, it'll still go wrong.

Honestly, as a Windows user myself, I see this as evidence that the new Windows updating process is a fail, it highlights that people have lost confidence in it.

good catch there. I also have an issue like that. if my usb hdd is connected it adds ~10 seconds to boot up. I haven't been using it for a long while and forgot aboot it. glad you got it sorted.

If my USB optical drive is connected my PC blue screens, work that one out?! ;)

Moto Guzzi, a restart will always take longer than a shut down and boot as your PC is doing a cold boot on restart, whereas your PC is booting from a form of hibernation on shutdown called fast boot - I personally think fast boot causes more problems than it resolves and usually turn it off on my own PC's.

on all ports? driver up to date, not just a generic driver?

I assume all ports as I just fumble around behind the PC to plug it in, don't really pay attention to the port it's getting plugged into. I doubt it's drivers as it happens on the transition between UEFI and the Windows splash screen - I don't think the drivers have even loaded yet?

Works fine on every other PC, mobo is an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Z.

Wow! Just...Wow!

I have two Windows machines here, both updated just fine. Having said that, they aren't loaded to the eyeballs with antivirus software, malware, viruses that the antivirus software doesn't pick up and other general shit - In fact one barely gets used and a 7yo uses the other one.

But I make good money fixing the plethora of issues that arise everytime MS release a major update and the masses find their PC's booting to nothing to a black screen with spinning dots or, better still, a totally corrupted and unrecoverable user profile and all the recovery hives gone.

This isn't me bagging out Windows, this is the harsh reality of the situation as a Windows user.

I can, since it is the easiest way to do it. Also, it is NOT downloaded an ISO and shoving it on a usb stick with the Media Creation Tool. The Media Creation tool does all the work. :D

Last edited:
I realize it's for major updates. But you're still downloading and installing software, one's automated, one requires physical exertion but is still automated - It doesn't give any more control over the process and if something's going to go wrong, it'll still go wrong.

Honestly, as a Windows user myself, I see this as evidence that the new Windows updating process is a fail, it highlights that people have lost confidence in it.

So basically, you are saying you never manually downloaded a service pack on any Windows OS and installed it then, right? By your definition, the ability to do that means that Windows updates is broken. :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upgrade to SSD's, makes a significant difference.

Last edited:
FUD ?

Do you really think regular users should be installing updates on external media. Your defending that as a good update process for a modern OS ?

Suggesting someone ran into issues with their auto updates because they didn't simply download a media creation tool and create an update disk is one of the silliest things I have ever heard.

I am not saying the ops issues are a common set of issues tons of windows users run into. I mean I'm sure they are all as wise as you and are downloading their updates onto floppy disk first or something.

Come on even you can't believe that your solution is acceptable. Windows update sucks its ok you can admit and still not hate MS or windows. MS should be making improving their update system priority #1... and hard core windows users like yourslef should be telling them that every chance you get.

With a few changes to their file system (I grant that isn't dead simple to achieve but it needs to happen) there is no reason the windows update process shouldn't be at least as smooth as MacOS updates. Windows uses a hybrid kernel that frankly if the windows file system used some form of inode addressing windows updates if anything should be smother then the *nix update process as even kernel and driver updates shouldn't really require rebooting. (where as a *nix os needs to reboot for kernels and for some systemd type stuff to switch to the new version... windows shouldn't technically need to do that if it was done right) I guess my point is from a technical stand point MS should be able to build an actual smoother update process then *nix, but as long as windows users eat this sh*t they will simply continue giving you major updates that simply hide menus, lock out features, and add flatter icons.

This person that is on here is not a regular user, giving proper advice here makes good sense. No, Windows updates does not "suck" but, it can have problems, just like anything else in life. However, it does take things longer to install on a spinning platter hard drive.

Oh, and yes, FUD. Read the post I quoted of yours, what CD or 50 whatever's are needed again? A single flash drive, run a single program, tell it what to do, what however long it takes your internet to download the information, let it create the drive, done. :)

Wow! Just...Wow!

Don't forget that this person also especialy argued that he preferred an OS automatic deleting stuff on your system rather than having a running system...

Ah screw it, it is best to just block the A-H's of my life a move along. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Which means that what you just said is your Windows 7 ISO creation was not all that good of an idea after all, considering the person you just quoted and what he said. He, hypocrite much?

I have no clue how to follow your logic here. What does this has to do with automatic deleting software on your system? also clean system installs is not the same as updating a running system. So again how does this really connect together in your head?

This person that is on here is not a regular user, giving proper advice here makes good sense. No, Windows updates does not "suck" but, it can have problems, just like anything else in life. However, it does take things longer to install on a spinning platter hard drive.

Oh, and yes, FUD. Read the post I quoted of yours, what CD or 50 whatever's are needed again? A single flash drive, run a single program, tell it what to do, what however long it takes your internet to download the information, let it create the drive, done. :)

Using floppies was making a joke.... FUD is confusing things on purpose. I don't think anyone thought I was anything but joking by suggesting 50 floppy disks. ;)

Yes Windows update sucks... unless your telling me you don't have to stare at a (don't turn your computer off) message almost every time you update. THAT is terrible design and unacceptable to me in 2017. If your cool with it though enjoy your OS like its 1999.

And yes I get that you offered a usable solution to a fellow [H] user, all good man I'm sure your advice is good. Its just not something I believe should be required even for power type users. Still I do completely respect that you offered a workable solution... and I apologize for not saying so in my previous post. Good info, is good. I simply wonder why updating windows has to be such a chore.

So basically, you are saying you never manually downloaded a service pack on any Windows OS and installed it then, right? By your definition, the ability to do that means that Windows updates is broken. :eek::rolleyes:

No, I've never felt the need to download and install any updates to an existing operating system 'outside' of the updating system built into the OS.

I've got a Windows 10 media installation tool here that I keep updated for when I'm installing Windows on new builds, but I never use it for updates.

I can, since it is the easiest way to do it. Also, it is NOT downloaded an ISO and shoving it on a usb stick with the Media Creation Tool. The Media Creation tool does all the work. :D

We're all well aware of this. The media creation tool automates the process of downloading the ISO and writing that ISO to a bootable USB stick, no one ever claimed otherwise.

Using floppies was making a joke.... FUD is confusing things on purpose. I don't think anyone thought I was anything but joking by suggesting 50 floppy disks. ;)

Yes Windows update sucks... unless your telling me you don't have to stare at a (don't turn your computer off) message almost every time you update. THAT is terrible design and unacceptable to me in 2017. If your cool with it though enjoy your OS like its 1999.

And yes I get that you offered a usable solution to a fellow [H] user, all good man I'm sure your advice is good. Its just not something I believe should be required even for power type users. Still I do completely respect that you offered a workable solution... and I apologize for not saying so in my previous post. Good info, is good. I simply wonder why updating windows has to be such a chore.

Yes it's super annoying to get the 'dont turn the computer off' message especially if you're in a hurry. And by Murphys law you're usually in a hurry when that happens.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Yes it's super annoying to get the 'dont turn the computer off' message especially if you're in a hurry. And by Murphys law you're usually in a hurry when that happens.

The biggest problem with this message is that there is spinning balls (those gawd damn spinning balls!), but no progress indicator.

Anytime a system is updating, there 'has to' be a progress indicator, especially when the process can take a considerable amount of time - And this process can take a considerable amount of time while the user stares at a screen of one uniform color with spinning balls.

I don't have proof, but I believe that in this situation people believe the system may not have crashed, but that data transfer has stopped and force the PC off contrary to the advise on the screen - Resulting in Loss of data (complete, unrecoverable loss of user profiles as well as registry hives) resulting in a complete loss of any form of usable or recoverable operating system - I've seen installs where there is literally half an operating system available at the CMD prompt.

The updater needs to keep the user informed, spinning balls are no logical form of information regarding progression that I know of. Form seems to be taking prescience over function. People say that Windows is perfectly designed, they claim that having a company design and implement an OS makes the UI perfect - The issue is that, under my OS of choice that is not Windows and is not designed by a massive corporation, the updater always keeps me perfectly informed at all times as to what is going on with my machine - The doubtful human element in me prefers this as opposed to the beautiful simplicity and modernness of 'spinning balls'.

For the record, I also use Windows 10.

To be clear this is why I and most Linux people (and mac folks) laugh at Windows users that defend windows update.

Screenshot from 2017-08-20 04-17-53.png
Screenshot from 2017-08-20 04-17-57.png

This is my Pamac (update) history from this evening. I downloaded 100 MB of updates, including a kernel and new Nvidia driver.... updated my system and was done in under 2 min. Note transaction times I highlighted the start at 3:53.... and my system was completely done downloading and updating at 3:54. I rebooted myself cause I updated my kernel and 30 seconds later I was back at my desktop no fuss no muss. (had I not updated my kernel 100mb of updates wouldn't have even taken 1min my system had to rebuild its boot img)

THAT is how a modern operating system should work.

To be clear this is why I and most Linux people (and mac folks) laugh at Windows users that defend windows update.

View attachment 33948 View attachment 33949

This is my Pamac (update) history from this evening. I downloaded 100 MB of updates, including a kernel and new Nvidia driver.... updated my system and was done in under 2 min. Note transaction times I highlighted the start at 3:53.... and my system was completely done downloading and updating at 3:54. I rebooted myself cause I updated my kernel and 30 seconds later I was back at my desktop no fuss no muss. (had I not updated my kernel 100mb of updates wouldn't have even taken 1min my system had to rebuild its boot img)

THAT is how a modern operating system should work.

And under an *buntu based distro. Some software could not be updated due to outdated PPA security keys, all rectified now:

jH77IVvh.png

DqrmthLh.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back