Update to PS4 3.0 firmware details

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
Codenamed “Kenshin,” the earlier leak was spot-on, though it wasn’t complete. The official PS4 firmware 3.0 features list can be seen below.

Online storage capacity increase — PS4 online storage capacity has increased from 1GB to 10GB for all PS Plus members. In 3.00 system software, you’ll see that we added a handy usage meter to monitor your available storage capacity, and a new Auto-Upload menu has been added to Application Saved Data Management.
YouTube live — PS4 owners will be able to livestream gameplay to YouTube. Livestreams will be viewable across YouTube, including on the new YouTube Gaming mobile app and website.
Events — A new hub for events has been added, giving an overview of activities taking place in the games you play most, as well as official broadcasts. For instance, you may see an update for a Double XP weekend, a special enemy appearing at a scheduled time, or seasonal events like in-game towns being decorated for the winter. You’ll also receive notifications when the event starts, or if the timing changes.
Favorite Groups — Favorite Groups has been added to the Friends app, letting you quickly access groups of people you like to play games with frequently. This will make the process of getting a game session up and running even easier.
Communities — PS4 users will have the ability to create communities based around shared interests, like games, genres, and more. Communities include a message board with general discussion, screenshots shared by players, and the ability to join parties / games. If you want to tackle a big multiplayer raid, but don’t have enough friends available, this could be a great way to connect with other players who are looking for the same thing.
Sharing video clips to Twitter — Users will have the ability to share video clips directly to Twitter. Maximum video length is 10 seconds, though you’ll have the ability to trim longer clips.
Stickers — Tired of typing out messages? With this update, you’ll be able to send stickers to friends through your messages.
Now Playing / What’s New — The Now Playing screen will display even more information about what your friends are doing, and you’ll be able to quickly jump into a game, party, request a screen share, or get sent to the PS Store to buy the game your friend is playing – further enhancing the social relationship with your friends online.
Live from PlayStation — We’ve improved the Live From PlayStation app, making it easier to view popular trending broadcasts in real time.
Request to watch gameplay — Want to view a friend’s gameplay session? Now you can send a ‘Request to Watch’ notification to a player, which will start a live broadcast or Share Play invitation to the person playing.

Atleast we're getting nice increase in online storage, I suspect more users will upgrade their HD since it'll be easier to save all your games saves in the cloud.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/09/02/ps4-firmware-3-0-features-revealed/#/slide/1

The online storage is the only thing that really interests me, but it's good that they're adding those things.

Still waiting for the ability to play video files like .mp4 from a USB drive like I can on PS3.... I still have my PS3 for that reason only.

Just got the beta invite for this. Though unfortunately there isn't a lot in the list that I am excited about.

I really hate how SOE nickles and dimes the user like charging for Themes while the Free themes suck.
They need to give users the ability to customize and upload their own which is why the PS3 is a better system then the PS4 as far as customization.

Why the cloud limit? Xbox one is unlimited cloud storage.

I want my games alphabetical not moving around.

Yeah that 1gb online storage was a bad move on Sony's part from the get go...some of those games take up like +250mb a game save. aye! I had that 1gb filled up from three games.

Still waiting for the ability to play video files like .mp4 from a USB drive like I can on PS3.... I still have my PS3 for that reason only.

You can since June. I found out like 2 weeks ago also! Just download the Media Library app on the store and you're good to go. Some files don't work tho.

I kept my PS3 for that but I guess I'll retire him soon.

Because Sony are cheapskates?

I agree about the game list, though I think there needs to be a robust library with customizable functionality. The way it's implemented feels very shortsighted.

Yeah it's ridiculous.
On top of that, PSN has an awfully slow data cap.
I'm getting about 200 megabits down with Comcast, and download speeds for me on the PS4 are in the 40s-50s, wired up!
As well, the download speeds are never ever constant.
Bursts of 40-50 megabits here and there and then suddenly tanks to like 5. It's horrible.

Youd would think they would do something about this for PS Plus users too.... but nope.

You can since June. I found out like 2 weeks ago also! Just download the Media Library app on the store and you're good to go. Some files don't work tho.

I kept my PS3 for that but I guess I'll retire him soon.

Thanks for the heads up

You know what's funny is that my download speed on the PS4 tops out at the same rate on my connection whether I'm going wired or wireless. With a 35 mbps connection I'm always topping out at 12 when downloading over PSN, while XBL and Steam have no problems saturating the full bandwidth. PSN supposedly downloads faster when the system is in standby mode.

PSN supposedly downloads faster when the system is in standby mode.

I think I've notice this myself. I will have a download poking along, then I will put the system in stand by mode. When I go back to check on it later, it is almost always completed even though there is no way the download would have completed if it kept going at the same speed it was before I put it in standby.

Sad when the only game to play on the PS4 is the Firmware update game.

Just kidding, there is rocket league too.

Hoping we'll see external storage at some point. My HDD is filling up fast, and having to re-download my digital games is painful on a 300GB month cap if I were to upgrade.

version 3.0 seems fine...I'm glad they did a beta for this as it seems they were able to work out any kinks...I don't think I would have installed this so quickly if it didn't go through that beta (PS4 software has been known to be buggy)...I like that they made PlayStation Plus more prominent on the Home Page...screenshots can now be saved as PNG instead of JPEG...and even those Sticker themes are nice

I've been using my pc to download my ps4 games. That way I can delete them off my ps4 if need be and then reinstall over network when I want it back on.

version 3.0 seems fine...I'm glad they did a beta for this as it seems they were able to work out any kinks...I don't think I would have installed this so quickly if it didn't go through that beta (PS4 software has been known to be buggy)...I like that they made PlayStation Plus more prominent on the Home Page...screenshots can now be saved as PNG instead of JPEG...and even those Sticker themes are nice

To be honest, 3.0 is already showing me some bugs.

Every time I minimize a game, the entire games list icons shows the game I'm currently playing. When I close the game, it still does this. I need to log out and sign back in to fix this.

Also I'm not a fan of the new friends list layout.
It's kind of stupid to put all currently online and the rest whom are offline, in one list.
I liked the "Online" tab better.

I tried out those new Stickers available with Messages but every time I select a sticker it automatically sends it out...I wanted to look at it closer before it sends...I don't even know what each sticker is supposed to represent in terms of the message sent...they should let you select the Sticker and then let you decide when to send the Message...with normal messages you click the 'Send' button but the Sticker is automatic it seems

Back