Update on Piledriver FX6300 build

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
Well guys, After going back and forth between a FX and Radon 7770 or just putting together an A10-5800K build, I went with the FX and Video card...

FX 6300
8 Gigs of 1866
Radeon 7770 1GB
Windows 8

With all stock settings, no overclocking of any kind I went and purchased Skyrim and Metro 2033.

Went with autodetect on both games, they both ran on High settings at 1920X1080 and both played butter smooth, I was concerned with Skyrim in large open areas and cities, but all was smooth.

Ran stress test on all 6 cores at 100%, it did not get above 48C and I haven't even installed my front case fan.

Nice! Not an expensive build at all, either. From what I've seen is that FX6300 = 1090T...Link\

The only real advantage I've found on the FM2 build is
1) The motherboard (A85 IIRC) can have 8 _native_ sata6 ports
2) lower power usage

I've thought about putting together an A10-5700 as a replacement for my Pentium E5800, but can't really justify it at the moment. The big issue is I need 4 the board to have 4 monitor support and I don't think any FM2 board has 2 dp outputs.

Nice! Not an expensive build at all, either. From what I've seen is that FX6300 = 1090T...Link\

The only real advantage I've found on the FM2 build is
1) The motherboard (A85 IIRC) can have 8 _native_ sata6 ports
2) lower power usage

I've thought about putting together an A10-5700 as a replacement for my Pentium E5800, but can't really justify it at the moment. The big issue is I need 4 the board to have 4 monitor support and I don't think any FM2 board has 2 dp outputs.

This will prob be my last build that I use a separate CPU and Video card, APU's are the future, it's just that the A-10 isn't quite there yet far as gaming is concerned, AMD's next batch should be up to par.

AMD needs to get power consumption down on it's entire line of CPU's

Total Build cost from Newegg was 684.87, that includes ALL new hardware and an OEM copy of Windows 8.

Nice build. Those 6300's seem to be a really good value gaming proc. I've seen quite a few builds popping up on forums lately and folks seem to be happy with their results.

The 6300 and Radeon 7700 combo is a winner, not to mention that i'm only running a Corsair 430 Watt PS.

Is there an good aftermartket CPU heatsink that would fit a FX6300 without any motherboard mods?

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for $30 is the best cooler on the market dollar for dollar. It'll handle a good bit of overclocking with no problem and is very quiet. Its kind of a hassle to install but not a huge deal especially if your case has an opening on the back of the motherboard tray cause you'll need to swap out the backplate.

Is there an good aftermartket CPU heatsink that would fit a FX6300 without any motherboard mods?

I 've used with satisfying results Xigmatek Balder and Scythe Rasetsu with the 1090T. The Balder is slighly better performer. They both use stock clips, you don't need to screw anything, just clip and go. If they 're enough for the 1090T, they should be more than enough for the FX-6300. The Scythe has better retention clips (it grips on 3 parts for every side, while the Xigmatek on one) making real tight contact.

Is 48C - 50C bad for 100% full load CPU Temps?

No. While doing video encoding (100% CPU), i am at 45C right now, but it's a cold day. At summer, it can go up to 54C-56C, without overclocking, but it gets very hot here.

4.4 or 4.5GHz should be easy for you. If 4.6 doesn't require a lot of vcore that will be too. If you've a strong cooler 4.8GHz is possible on air. You may hit a thermal wall. It will depend on your cooler and required vcore.

You may not be able to run your NB very high. Some people are complaining about it with PD. My 6300 doesn't do over 2400 on the NB. 2600 is unstable.

If you've stability problems at higher clocks you may want to try around 2.6-2.8 VDDA. Obviously, experiment with 2.6 and high 2.6 first. Some have said tweaked VDDA has allowed them to lower their vcore.

Some people suggest not going out of the 56-61C range during load. Others let their chips go into the 70s. I'm with the former group.

I just picked up a 6300 today, but don't have time to install it until tomorrow. I like the improvements with Piledriver, but the 8 cores still output too much heat for my liking since I like my fans nice and quiet. Once I get to overclocking I will definitely post some results.

I just picked up a 6300 today, but don't have time to install it until tomorrow. I like the improvements with Piledriver, but the 8 cores still output too much heat for my liking since I like my fans nice and quiet. Once I get to overclocking I will definitely post some results.

Heat was my only issue and why I went with the 6300, I'm sure those 8 cores generate alot of heat and since my workstation is in my bedroom, I didn't want to have so many fans that my computer sounds like a vaccum cleaner.

AMD needs to work on power consumption and heat.

Heat was my only issue and why I went with the 6300, I'm sure those 8 cores generate alot of heat and since my workstation is in my bedroom, I didn't want to have so many fans that my computer sounds like a vaccum cleaner.

AMD needs to work on power consumption and heat.

Well Amd's processors are power efficent but they clock them up to be somewhat competitive with intel and increasing the power draw. Fx cpus at low clocks like their server parts are very power efficient.

I don't recommend the hyper 212. I would grab something with more performance, this is FX cpu not a intel cpu. More wattage to deal with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103100 the one looks decent, and has great reviews.Won't break the bank either.

Got mine installed and 4.7 GHz seems to be the sweet spot with just a multiplier change and a slight bump in voltage. With my H100 on low, it hits 50 C on IBT so I am pretty happy with the results if this is as far as it goes.

Well guys, After going back and forth between a FX and Radon 7770 or just putting together an A10-5800K build, I went with the FX and Video card...

FX 6300
8 Gigs of 1866
Radeon 7770 1GB
Windows 8

With all stock settings, no overclocking of any kind I went and purchased Skyrim and Metro 2033.

Went with autodetect on both games, they both ran on High settings at 1920X1080 and both played butter smooth, I was concerned with Skyrim in large open areas and cities, but all was smooth.

Ran stress test on all 6 cores at 100%, it did not get above 48C and I haven't even installed my front case fan.

What mb you go with? I'm debating getting the cheapest sata3 am3 board I can find along with a6300 for a truly budget build.

Back