Update On PC Version Of Batman: Arkham Knight

HardOCP News

[H] News
Rocksteady has released a list of things they are working on in an attempt to get Batman: Arkham Knight to a playable state.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:
  • Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
  • Fix for low resolution texture bug
  • Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
  • Add more options to the graphics settings menu
  • Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
  • Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop
  • Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
  • NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
  • Enabling AMD Crossfire
  • NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers
While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:
  • Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
  • Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
  • Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu
We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

Hehehe... "invaluable feedback", that's one way to put it. That's PR gold right there.

This is what happens when you call companies out for bad products. You know if they fix it properly, I would actually buy it.

this looks like stuff they should have dones before the game shipped, no?

the state of pc gaming....wow.

this looks like stuff they should have dones before the game shipped, no?

the state of pc gaming....wow.

Look at the post before yours and then reconsider why PC development might be taking a backseat to consoles.

Even if they launched the game in a "perfect" state, the proliferation of the "derp I'll just wait for $5 sale" mentality still exists, and isn't really helping the cause.

oh come on.

people pay full price for it at launch.

the rest of us wait till we see if it is worth it.

it wasn't.

smart people wait, guinea pigs pre-order.

Look at the post before yours and then reconsider why PC development might be taking a backseat to consoles.

Even if they launched the game in a "perfect" state, the proliferation of the "derp I'll just wait for $5 sale" mentality still exists, and isn't really helping the cause.

If that were the case we wouldn't have so many threads with hundreds/thousands of posts on launch of any game...

Latest exhibit is this Batman: Arkham Knight.

Seems like this game was released only 50% finished.

I agree with Master_shake. It's because of issues like this with major titles at launch that people wait for them to go on sale before buying. I can certainly wait 6 months for it to be half price and major bugs fixed.

How hard was it to take the PS4 version (AMD hardware) and bring it to the PC for DX11.

No gameworks, no bullshit. for fucks sake.

Has nothing to do with that, this is just greedy big publishers sometimes shipping products with minimal porting effort just to get it up for sale, often using third party outsourcing to port it to further save costs.

Now the Batman case, imho, is a perfect example of why we needed refund policies in place, and we can see what happens when Steam offers it, companies all of a sudden care about the customers, even to the point of pulling the game before the bad reviews and refunds sink it, wish Sim City customers had that option at the time.

The best thing about this development is it means better quality ports in the future one would hope.

With the immense size of the PC gaming market making money is not an issue, especially for a cheap port, it saved Dark Souls from failure for example, console market wasn't doing it any favors before PC gamers turned it around.

Has nothing to do with that, this is just greedy big publishers sometimes shipping products with minimal porting effort just to get it up for sale, often using third party outsourcing to port it to further save costs.

Now the Batman case, imho, is a perfect example of why we needed refund policies in place, and we can see what happens when Steam offers it, companies all of a sudden care about the customers, even to the point of pulling the game before the bad reviews and refunds sink it, wish Sim City customers had that option at the time.

The best thing about this development is it means better quality ports in the future one would hope.

With the immense size of the PC gaming market making money is not an issue, especially for a cheap port, it saved Dark Souls from failure for example, console market wasn't doing it any favors before PC gamers turned it around.

You best believe it. Companies will rue the days of shipping shit-filled games with refund policies at our side.

List of things that should be been taken care of before release even if it needed to be delayed.

This is what happens when you call companies out for bad products. You know if they fix it properly, I would actually buy it.
I have a feeling that it may have more to do with Steam's new streamlined refund process. In the past it was much more difficult to get a refund, but now it's much easier and I imagine, as a result, that it hurts the publisher more to deliver something of low quality since people can turn around and return it.

How is that different than any other similar market?

Movies are somewhat similar and people do the exact same thing, I know I do. I see a movie/trailer and I say to myself, "will see it" or "rental" or in most cases.. "the gf can go to that with her sister".

I do the exact same thing with games... launch, sale or nope. The issues with releases in the last few years on AAA titles like this makes me say sale more often or at minimum wait a month or so to get real reviews and patches first.

Video games can be a GREAT value at $60, but just like a bad movie can be a bad value too.

Customers SHOULD be judging quality/value with their wallets, finally they are waking up.

Glad the game is getting fixed. I'm lucky in that I have not run into any issues while playing the game so far and I'm about 35% of the way through. Running max settings at 2560 resolution with gtx780 and 4770k.

This new echo of "people are ruining game development by waiting for a sale" is just laughable.

This game is an excellent example.

First of all, NVidia gave it away for crying out loud.....to tout the advanced capabilities of their newly released GPUs.
There's got to be a stake there. I'm sure NVidia had something to say to the developer....like WTF, fix this shit. Kinda hard to show off the card when the game is broken.

Secondly, the game is broken. Look at that list of stuff.....damn. Why not just come out and say...."see you guys in a month, we'll send out a notice when you can play the game.

Why, why does anybody buy a game anymore pre-release or on the day of release?

First of all majority are broken.
Secondly, as soon as you load it up.....how about buying our extra super DLC?

This is just poor form, period.
Don't these guys play the game through before they release it? Or do they just cross their fingers and hope for the best?

This game is a shining example of why I wait at least 2 weeks before I buy anything anymore. Most of the time the game is either screwed up, doesn't support SLi correctly or isn't set up correctly for Surround gaming.

Thank God for guys like Hayden at flawlesswidescreen.

end of rant.....thank you.

Well all the missing effects are back in, can confirm that works. The busted texture streaming is still a pain in the ass, as is the overall poor performance.

I think all the attention this has got, and the Steam refunds/cancelled sales, has caused upper management to decide that it's OK to spend what needs to be spent to release a game deserving of AAA prices, and inclusion in a AAA franchise.

The problems with this release go way beyond Gameworks. Did you not look at the list of what they need to fix?

It doesn't matter how much evidence you present to them, they're going to believe that Nvidia is the reason for all of the world's problems.

How hard was it to take the PS4 version (AMD hardware) and bring it to the PC for DX11.

No gameworks, no bullshit. for fucks sake.

There is some work involved, the levels and art can be taken as-is, but running DX instead of the PS4's API will require some attention. Obviously the port to Xbox was done properly so a lot of the work was done well. Then as Square Enix demonstrated with thier creating a Mantle & DX11 Plug-in for UE3 for use in Thief, the port can be done very efficiently. Say what you want about the game, but their technical achievements were very impressive and a lot of developers took notice.

Yes, the underlying hardware is all the same and this wasn't the first port these devs have done, as much as they were thrown under the bus by WB.

So something else must have messed things up, badly, very badly... Yes, in this case my guess was trying to integrate Gameworks went very, very wrong...

Why shouldn't people be allowed to wait until it's on sale? There's nothing wrong with that. It's their prerogative. Just like they don't have to buy the game in the first place. Even if we weren't in the current state of broken releases it's smart consumerism to wait until a product goes on sale. Belittling someone who does is just plain ignorant.

However you are correct that broken launches continue to feed the necessity to wait for the game to be fixed before buying it. So at present it's a win-win for the consumer. They wait for a while, get a relatively playable game and possibly on a hell of a sale.

So console gamers never buy used games or use rental services to play new releases? both cases that player contributed 0% to the devs.

My brother for example refuses to buy any single player game with a season pass on principle even though he has a good paying job, instead he gameflys new releases and if its worth a second playthru will wait for the goty to rerent. The industry has basically trained consumers to wait with all of the dlc schemes and broken launches that aren't always exclusive to pc.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to wait until it's on sale? There's nothing wrong with that. It's their prerogative. Just like they don't have to buy the game in the first place. Even if we weren't in the current state of broken releases it's smart consumerism to wait until a product goes on sale. Belittling someone who does is just plain ignorant.

However you are correct that broken launches continue to feed the necessity to wait for the game to be fixed before buying it. So at present it's a win-win for the consumer. They wait for a while, get a relatively playable game and possibly on a hell of a sale.

I agree, and I think it's been clearly shown that if companies make games that can be shown to be worth the price and are of good quality on day one release, people reward that company by buying copies. Don't you think the next Elder Scrolls game is going to sell millions of pre-orders? Fallout 4 is going to be profitable on Day 0 because of the legions of fans who love the IP and trust the developer.

Unfortunately, a lot of people practice "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me", so they learn quickly after a few bad experiences, and they wait.

If the price the market will bear for a game is "release date + 6 months" at $19.99, then the devs did not make a product compelling enough to be purchased at full price.

Honestly, though, did no one at this studio play test the PC copy?

It doesn't matter how much evidence you present to them, they're going to believe that Nvidia is the reason for all of the world's problems.

Gameworks is generally a sign of lazy developers and cheap ports, and in the cases where it's not the case it's still bad for the market, it's a blackbox against driver optimizations, making the experience bad for a big chunk of the market for the sake of one company, it's anti-consumer.

Even as an nVidia card user I'm not dumb enough to go along with it, so these games go to the clearance isle to send the message, hopefully more people care about their future purchase options to do the same or we'll end up with another "sound blaster" market for video cards.

Always with the Gameworks this, Gameworks that... doesn't Nvidia have like 75% of the market share? In that case I don't see Gameworks harming PC gaming at all! Only AMD users should have reason to complain, and they're very quickly becoming an insignificant minority.

No hate here. It's just the way the market is going.

Always with the Gameworks this, Gameworks that... doesn't Nvidia have like 75% of the market share? In that case I don't see Gameworks harming PC gaming at all! Only AMD users should have reason to complain, and they're very quickly becoming an insignificant minority.

No hate here. It's just the way the market is going.

Yeah it's not harming gaming at all by locking the market, Einstein.

In that kinda world expect to pay $1000 for a 980ti ten years from now because who else will sell you better when all the IP is in one company's hands. I wanna buy my next video card because it's the best product not because I have no choice, thank you very much.

Happened with sound cards, Creative labs took over and sued other companies out of existence with their IPS, market stagnated for twenty years, no progress, rip Aureal and 3D audio.

It's not rocket science, and we got a ton of history in the market to show where this is headed.

Those fools don't count for much anyways, they are a small number.....I used to be one of them small folk', now I just buy it if I want it on launch date :D

**Waits for the "OH I"VE BEEN BURNED SO MANY TIMES BECAUSE OF POOR CONSOLE PORTS" replies...**

I have turned from a day one buyer into a "wait for the complete edition in the bargain bin" due to the ripoff that is DLC. that and I mostly play 10+ year old games now anyway.

Gameworks is generally a sign of lazy developers and cheap ports, and in the cases where it's not the case it's still bad for the market, it's a blackbox against driver optimizations, making the experience bad for a big chunk of the market for the sake of one company, it's anti-consumer.

Even as an nVidia card user I'm not dumb enough to go along with it, so these games go to the clearance isle to send the message, hopefully more people care about their future purchase options to do the same or we'll end up with another "sound blaster" market for video cards.

Prove everything you just said. Otherwise it's just FUD.

You simply don't know what you are talking about. GW is middleware that developers can use to implement graphical and physical effects without having to code this from scratch. Blame AMD for not working with developers on a solution and improving graphical fidelity.

Having said this the issues with this game is not due to GW. It was a shoddy port from another studio.

Yes it's middleware, meaning it affects stability and performance if you're not careful, or if it's buggy and no one but the vendor has access to the internals. It's not rocket surgery.

Drivers -> DX -> Gameworks -> Game

Gameworks = closed
Something breaks = Developers, Intel, AMD, Matrox, NewGPUco out of the loop. Only nVidia has the keys.

Means for dev:
The pro is less time spent developing those effects from scratch.
The con is it's closed, if something goes wrong or there's a bug in the stack then it'll take extra work reverse engineering a fix if even possible - unless nVidia is opening it up to the dev, in which case at least developing a workaround for a stack you have no control over the implementation of.

Means for gamer:
Lower quality ports.
Potential performance issues.
Locks out other vendors, potentially becoming a captive customer down the road, ala Voodoo Glide API.

If you see a Gameworks game, even if you don't care about your future options, it's something to be wary of, a sign of lazy porting work imho. We should be pushing for open technologies in such markets, ones that are industry-wide not specific to a vendor, it's a recipe for disaster doing so, anyone with half a brain can connect the dots.

You simply don't know what you are talking about. GW is middleware that developers can use to implement graphical and physical effects without having to code this from scratch. Blame AMD for not working with developers on a solution and improving graphical fidelity.

Having said this the issues with this game is not due to GW. It was a shoddy port from another studio.

Because then you have to have one solution (aka AMD edition) and a second solution (aka Nvidia edition) of the game if you have two separate programs to help do ports.

The proper solution is to write a PC game for PC gamers instead of developing exclusively for consoles and praying for a half assed decent result from a porting program.

Yes it's middleware, meaning it affects stability and performance if you're not careful, or if it's buggy and no one but the vendor has access to the internals. It's not rocket surgery.

Drivers -> DX -> Gameworks -> Game

Gameworks = closed
Something breaks = Developers, Intel, AMD, Matrox, NewGPUco out of the loop. Only nVidia has the keys.

Means for dev:
The pro is less time spent developing those effects from scratch.
The con is it's closed, if something goes wrong or there's a bug in the stack then it'll take extra work reverse engineering a fix if even possible - unless nVidia is opening it up to the dev, in which case at least developing a workaround for a stack you have no control over the implementation of.

Means for gamer:
Lower quality ports.
Potential performance issues.
Locks out other vendors, potentially becoming a captive customer down the road, ala Voodoo Glide API.

If you see a Gameworks game, even if you don't care about your future options, it's something to be wary of, a sign of lazy porting work imho. We should be pushing for open technologies in such markets, ones that are industry-wide not specific to a vendor, it's a recipe for disaster doing so, anyone with half a brain can connect the dots.

This guy gets it.

This guy, not so much.

Back