Update broke my BT, kinda...

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
Samsung spin 7 notebook running windows 10 pro. It's my school laptop. Dual boots 10 pro and openSUSE on separate SSD's.

It has received a slew of updates these past few days and now any time I shutdown or let it go into hibernation on windows side, the BT disables. The only way to get it back is to go into device manager -> intel BT nic -> enable this device (it was disabled.)

I can't figure out why this is happening and there is nothing in any of the updates that I have read that has anything to do with BT or this particular device...

There is nothing wrong with the device either because it works perfectly (I use it for both my speakers and my mouse) and this problem does not occur at all on Linux side.

Anyone have any idea's. Going to start dicking with updates again soon, but that's a good way to break windows 10 and I kinda need this laptop...

If it comes down to it, I do have weekly backup images of the windows side.

Maybe has to do with some kind of power-saving mode? Turning off blue tooth seems to be common power saving tactic, just a random guess though.

check for a driver update from the manufacturer(not dell the oem) and check all the power saving functions are off like dvs said.

My sons Win10 resets his microphone to disabled frequently with updates. Sounds eerily similar to your problem.

Maybe has to do with some kind of power-saving mode? Turning off blue tooth seems to be common power saving tactic, just a random guess though.

check for a driver update from the manufacturer(not dell the oem) and check all the power saving functions are off like dvs said.

I just checked, I do have the latest driver, however you are right. My power settings have all been reset to default for some reason.

My sons Win10 resets his microphone to disabled frequently with updates. Sounds eerily similar to your problem.

I wonder if it's not a similar problem.

under device manager is there the option to "turn device off to save power"? make sure that's not on.

I would have expected the opposite for the mic. I would have thought it would keep turning back on so that Cortana can listen properly. what kind of mic is it? if its usb check for that turn this device off... tick box too.

I get this exact same thing! My daughter likes to make YouTube Video's of herself gaming and the microphone is constantly seen and present but just not working! I've gotta screw around with preferences and anything else I can find and it suddenly starts working again.

It's just a standard mic with a jack plug, no USB connection at all.

I get this exact same thing! My daughter likes to make YouTube Video's of herself gaming and the microphone is constantly seen and present but just not working! I've gotta screw around with preferences and anything else I can find and it suddenly starts working again.

It's just a standard mic with a jack plug, no USB connection at all.

Same with my son. He has a Sennheiser Game zero plugged in to X-Fi Titanium.

So resetting my power settings had no effect. Anyone have any other suggestions? I did notice my BT speaker system also has a microphone but I would think it would dc the BT device, not shut down the entire BT card...

Ok this is crazy, for some reason an update hung and it sat there for 30+ min pending restart. I forced it to reboot and all seemed well, except after going back into device manager and re-enabling the device as normal, it wouldn't show up. The device would, but the BT options under control panel and taskview were just not there.

So I just completely uninstalled the BT interface and re-installed it with a freshly downloaded driver. This fixed it for about a day, now it's back to doing it again... I use this laptop constantly so I am sure an update is getting pushed that is screwing this. I am just not sure what to do about it. Even if I found the update and uninstalled it, it's windows 10, and it would just get re-installed anyway.

Anyone have any ideas?

Microsoft force you to use a separate tool to block certain driver updates. It makes about as much sense as an ejector seat in a helicopter and is about as much fun to use. :)

Microsoft force you to use a separate tool to block certain driver updates. It makes about as much sense as an ejector seat in a helicopter and is about as much fun to use. :)

Wrong. Some combat helicopters do have ejector seats. They simply detonate the rotor blades before ejecting.

What Microsoft is doing is forcing people to eject without removing the rotors :D

Wrong. Some combat helicopters do have ejector seats. They simply detonate the rotor blades before ejecting.

What Microsoft is doing is forcing people to eject without removing the rotors :D

I know, I was waiting for someone to pick me up on that! You bugger!

Interestingly, the BT portion of my wifi NIC has been playing up for a couple weeks as well. When I wake from sleep, I get a message that a USB device port reset failed. Started up right after the December monthly update, so I assume something in there broke BT. It always works fine after a reboot, and usually through a couple sleep/wake cycles, but once I get that message it's dead until a reboot.

Quick google for windows 10 december 2016 update bluetooth shows a number of people having the same problems.

Ok, so this not only didn't fix it, but made BT suck. Constant breaking up, dropping, etc. WTF does this work on Linux, but not Windows. BT sucks on Linux...

Well if you don't mind a workaround (you should get used to them for Win10)
get a copy of devcon, make a bat file and use:
devcon.exe restart "hardware id"
You can get your hardware id from device manager on the advanced tab

for an entire class (don't add a space after the =):
devcon.exe restart =display
for a list of classes:
devcon.exe classes

Instead of restart you can also use enable/disable

Ok, so this not only didn't fix it, but made BT suck. Constant breaking up, dropping, etc. WTF does this work on Linux, but not Windows. BT sucks on Linux...

BT works awesome under Linux! I found some USB BT dongle in the bottom of one of my drawers one day (I think it was off an old keyboard or something), I plugged it in, it was instantly recognised with no input on my behalf and I use it all the time to transfer photos from my phone to my PC.

Back