Upcoming Ultrabook purchase

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm considering purchasing an Ultrabook or Ultrabook-like device in the near future. My X201T is still pretty nice, but I am getting really tired of being constrained to a 1280x768 screen. Plus I think I would rather like all the Ultrabook trappings - thin form factor, light weight, good battery life, etc.

My initial thought was that I was going to get something like the Asus Transformer Book. The best of both worlds, I thought. A device that can replace my Android tablet and my laptop, both. Now I realize that I'm not willing to live with the compromises that go with such a device. I'd rather have a light content consumption platform with battery life that lets me read kindle books all night, and a separate laptop for productivity which is powerful enough for anything I throw at it, than a device that tries to combine the two but accomplishes neither well. Sorry, Transformer Book, sorry, Surface Pro - you're just not the souped-up Ultrabook with a detachable screen that turns you into a thin and light iPad that I'm looking for.

I already have a TF201 I'm pretty happy with, so I'm just looking for an upgrade to my laptop at this point. What are your thoughts on the following options?

For consideration:

Asus UX32-VD
Pros:
  • Best screen of the PCs.
  • Can upgrade to choice of SSDs/HDDs
15" Retina Display MacBook Pro
Pros:
  • Best screen, period.
  • Quad core.
Cons:
  • Not the best at Windows.
Sony Vaio Z
Pros:
  • Quad core in 13" form factor.
Cons:
  • Small apparently annoying touchpad.
Dell XPS 12:
Pros:
  • Touchscreen.
Cons:
  • Maxes out at 256 MB SSD.
HP Touchsmart XT
Pros:
  • Touchscreen.
Cons:
  • 15"/5 lbs

Last edited:
You aren't going to get good battery life with high power and dedicated gpus. You can carry extra batteries or larger batteries. Consider carrying a powerful laptop and a lighter tablet for light browsing.

I found the combination of a netbook and a small tablet to be pretty good on a trip. That let's me have windows functionality if I need it.

You aren't going to get good battery life with high power and dedicated gpus. You can carry extra batteries or larger batteries. Consider carrying a powerful laptop and a lighter tablet for light browsing.

I found the combination of a netbook and a small tablet to be pretty good on a trip. That let's me have windows functionality if I need it.

I'm pretty happy with my TF201. Sorry, this may not have been clear in my original post, so I've edited it to make it clearer. Basically, battery life would have been important to me if I wanted a device to do both, but if I only want an excellent laptop, it becomes less critical. That's not to say that Ultrabooks are a slouch in this department - even the UX32VD did 5:30 in one review's web browsing usage test.

I'm looking for something fast and thin. I'm not entirely turned off to a touchscreen device, but I have given up on it replacing my android tablet. I might go with something like the XPS 12 but that's quite a premium to pay for a notebook with no discrete GPU.

I'm an owner of the ux32-vd and have been constantly impressed by it. Upgrading the ram isn't really necessary, but it's a inexpensive upgrade. The SSD however, is a must, the laptop really does need it's default harddrive swapped out. It's an easy upgrade though since the entire bottom plate can be taken off without much hassle.

As far as performance, the 620m is decent enough that I've been able to play all of my games at native resolution using medium settings without issue. The i7 may only be a dual core, but it handles eveything well enough that I haven't felt like I have to have more cpu power.

If you like your X201 have you considered upgrading to the X230? Granted that won't improve your screen resolution by that much, so perhaps not.

There are Thinkpads though that might fit. X1 Carbon and the T430u?

If you like your X201 have you considered upgrading to the X230? Granted that won't improve your screen resolution by that much, so perhaps not.

There are Thinkpads though that might fit. X1 Carbon and the T430u?

The X1 Carbon is tempting, but it's not quite 1080p, only 1600x900.

Each time I convince myself I can live with that I remember to check then Engadget review. High dot pitch and an all around lackluster panel. No thanks. Not when the Asus line gets such rave reviews for its displays.

The reason I bought an X201t back in the day was because tablet PCs generally offered the best screens around. Nobody but Apple (even before the Retina displays) was including quality panels on their machines, and you could spec out a $2k+ machine from Lenovo and it would ship to you with a TN screen with 1280x768 or lower. There were laptops with 1080P panels, but these were usually 17 inches or thereabouts.

The X201t had a panel with amazing brightness and viewing angles. Despite the fact that I almost never use the pen input, I haven't had a second thought about buying it over a traditional laptop. I'm just disappointed that after the X61t, they stopped offering 1400x1050 as an option and 1280x768 was the best you could get.

Who knows, if I hadn't lost my X61t to water damage, I might still be using it today :(.

I'm an owner of the ux32-vd and have been constantly impressed by it. Upgrading the ram isn't really necessary, but it's a inexpensive upgrade. The SSD however, is a must, the laptop really does need it's default harddrive swapped out. It's an easy upgrade though since the entire bottom plate can be taken off without much hassle.

As far as performance, the 620m is decent enough that I've been able to play all of my games at native resolution using medium settings without issue. The i7 may only be a dual core, but it handles eveything well enough that I haven't felt like I have to have more cpu power.
Thanks for the input. What games do you play at 1080P on there?

Read that the fans on the UX51 run constantly and are not quiet, so that is out I think. So it would be between the UX32vd and the MacBook Pro. Maybe I should troll around the Apple section of the form to get impressions on how the MBP runs Windows and feels when used in bed or on the lap.

The X1 Carbon is tempting, but it's not quite 1080p, only 1600x900.

Each time I convince myself I can live with that I remember to check then Engadget review. High dot pitch and an all around lackluster panel. No thanks. Not when the Asus line gets such rave reviews for its displays.

The reason I bought an X201t back in the day was because tablet PCs generally offered the best screens around. Nobody but Apple (even before the Retina displays) was including quality panels on their machines, and you could spec out a $2k+ machine from Lenovo and it would ship to you with a TN screen with 1280x768 or lower. There were laptops with 1080P panels, but these were usually 17 inches or thereabouts.

The X201t had a panel with amazing brightness and viewing angles. Despite the fact that I almost never use the pen input, I haven't had a second thought about buying it over a traditional laptop. I'm just disappointed that after the X61t, they stopped offering 1400x1050 as an option and 1280x768 was the best you could get.

Who knows, if I hadn't lost my X61t to water damage, I might still be using it today :(.

Read that the fans on the UX51 run constantly and are not quiet, so that is out I think. So it would be between the UX32vd and the MacBook Pro. Maybe I should troll around the Apple section of the form to get impressions on how the MBP runs Windows and feels when used in bed or on the lap.

By all accounts the UX32vd gets very hot, so it might not be the best choice for using on the lap in bed.

The Zenbooks use an aluminum bottom and have poor ventilation/circulation. There's been a hundred threads about the thermal issues and throttling.

I'd suggest you don't buy an Ultrabook. You're looking for great battery life, upgradeability, a decent discrete GPU and good overall performance. All of those needs are best fulfilled by a standard laptop and not an Ultrabook.

The UX51vz is thin, but also throttles like mad and has cooling problems due to the thin form factor and all-metal casing and crappy ventilation. It also weighs around 5lbs, so it's no lighter than a regular laptop at that size.

I have an X220, and it's the same weight as most Ultrabooks, has twice the battery life, more processing power and a great IPS matte display. If you're going to buy a mobile workhorse and won't be gaming on it, I'd highly suggest an X230. If you want a higher resolution and gaming, then start looking at the Samsung 7-series laptops. They're the same thickness as the Asus 15" Zenbook (.8") and have either a 1600x900 display or a 1080p display. Keep in mind the Samsung 17.3" 7-series laptop has the same footprint of a standard 15.6" laptop due to how thin the bezels is and the saved space at the sides of the keyboard. With it, you'll get better cooling, way better processing power, and substantially better gaming performance with a battery that'll provide you with better-than-Ultrabook battery life.

Frankly, I see no reason to buy an Ultrabook at all. All you get is "thinner" but at the expense of everything else that's just as, if not more important.

Currently playing Borderlands 2 and GuildWars 2, both at 1920x1080 and getting roughly 30fps with setting the textures high, shaders and shadows low. I use a Razer Naga in the right hand a logitech G13 for the left hand so I can sit a little closer to the screen to make up for the smaller size :). Here's a link to someone elses 3dmark score (I'm at work) to give you something to do comparisons with: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4031834

Overall, this laptop has been the perfect companion for me while I've been away from home; it's easy to tote around while still being able to play games, surf the net and everything else computer related. I'd have no problems reccomending it to anyone that's willing to spend a little more for a higher quality computer.

By all accounts the UX32vd gets very hot, so it might not be the best choice for using on the lap in bed.

I use mine in bed with it sitting on my lap, it does get warm, but not uncomfortable. As long as you don't block the vents, it doesn't have any thermal issues that I've experienced.

The Zenbooks use an aluminum bottom and have poor ventilation/circulation. There's been a hundred threads about the thermal issues and throttling.
Really? Most of the threads I've seen have been pretty positive.

I'd suggest you don't buy an Ultrabook. You're looking for great battery life
Not really. I expect that from my tablet. If I don't get it from my laptop, depending on the other compromises it makes, I understand.

, upgradeability
Nope. No need to upgrade if the specs it comes with are decent. Only reason I want to ugrade the UX32vd is because it comes with only 4 GB of RAM. I'd probably have shut up and bought the UX31A by now if it came with 8 GB.

, a decent discrete GPU
Most definitely not. I've lacked a discrete GPU since 2007, and before that had the 5200 GT mobile - someone on this forum once described that part as a retard from whom half of the brain had been removed. If I end up not getting a discreet GPU, I'll understand. I'd rather have a small device than one with a dedicated GPU, if I had a straight choice between the two.

The UX51vz is thin, but also throttles like mad and has cooling problems due to the thin form factor and all-metal casing and crappy ventilation. It also weighs around 5lbs, so it's no lighter than a regular laptop at that size.
Yeah, I'm finding it's not the best design. I'm looking at more traditional 15" alternatives.

I have an X220, and it's the same weight as most Ultrabooks, has twice the battery life, more processing power and a great IPS matte display.
Sorry, no. Just, no. Maybe it's IPS, but in 2012 a 1366x768 panel on a 12" screen is not "great". Not when Apple can match the resolution of my 30" monitor in a 13" notebook. It's like PC manufacturers forgot how to make good high resolution screens during the transition to 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios. My 2005 Toshiba convertible was 1400x1050. My 2007 X61t was 1400x1050. But by 2010 these options had disappeared and 1280x768 was the norm. 1366x768 is a little better but not much.

If you're going to buy a mobile workhorse and won't be gaming on it, I'd highly suggest an X230. If you want a higher resolution and gaming, then start looking at the Samsung 7-series laptops. They're the same thickness as the Asus 15" Zenbook (.8") and have either a 1600x900 display or a 1080p display. Keep in mind the Samsung 17.3" 7-series laptop has the same footprint of a standard 15.6" laptop due to how thin the bezels is and the saved space at the sides of the keyboard. With it, you'll get better cooling, way better processing power, and substantially better gaming performance with a battery that'll provide you with better-than-Ultrabook battery life.

Frankly, I see no reason to buy an Ultrabook at all. All you get is "thinner" but at the expense of everything else that's just as, if not more important.
I'm looking at Ultrabooks because most of them actually have decent screens. I want a 1080p screen, but it has to be smaller than 17". I'm also a bit tired of the bulky boxes I've been getting for years now, when the Apple side of the pond is all smooth lines and slick touchpads.

I'm going to update the pro/con list in the OP. UX51VZ is out, XPS 12 and Vaio Z in.

I have a Vaio S 15 that I'm liking a lot with its 1080p IPS display, text is about as small as I would want it. The size/weight is not too bad, obviously heavier than a 12" or 13" sure, but easily one of the lightest 15"s at 2kg and still under an inch thick.

I have a Vaio S 15 that I'm liking a lot with its 1080p IPS display, text is about as small as I would want it. The size/weight is not too bad, obviously heavier than a 12" or 13" sure, but easily one of the lightest 15"s at 2kg and still under an inch thick.

The inherent DPI scaling issues are also partly to blame for the stall in resolutions in laptops.

ThinkPads are meant to work and work well without any problems. They're primarily business/enterprise laptops and that requires that you don't run into any problems with 3rd party software not approved by MS, thus the software should be free of any weird font issues. Running at default resolution with 100% ensures that you'll never have any of these problems.

I like high res displays, but only when they don't get in my way. I use CAD software on a regular basis, and DPI scaling there is impossible to get to work correctly. When going to 125% the text on the dropdown menus overlaps the next one and it becomes a cluttered mess with about 20 letters on top of a tiny dropdown menu by the time it reaches the far right side. They still have this issue in Windows 8 despite the fact that they claimed they'd get it sorted out. If they can't manage to get their own applications to work properly, it's utterly hopeless for the rest of us.

Personally, I love high res displays for things like gaming or watching movies. The text is also much clearer when working with an application that gels well with scaling and makes it more pleasant to read. The problem in the Windows landscape is that Microsoft has absolutely nothing to do with others' applications, thus if the developers don't address the scaling issues themselves in their respective programs, it just won't work. I actually was debating buying a Zenbook with the 1080p IPS display because I heard great things about it and figured that the extra screen real estate would be really welcome. Wisely, I went and tried it out and installed my CAD software and tried it out... and it was horrible...

Now, I'm not saying it won't work for you, but keep in mind that DPI scaling ONLY works if the program itself was designed for that. If you're going to use something with many dropdown menus and a very complex and cluttered menu system, then I'd highly reconsider. If you're going to be gaming and taking notes and dicking around, it's fine and you shouldn't have any problems. Still, don't expect to have a great time web browsing either.

I'd just get the standard UX3x... Isn't it like $200-300 cheaper than the upgradeable VD version with the NV GPU? Much better value if you don't absolutely need the GPU, factor the cost of an SSD for the other one and it ends up being 50% more expensive. Is 8GB an absolute must have for your workflow?

I think I'm headed in the same direction as you, been wanting to upgrade my netbook with something significantly larger, faster, and higher res... Might trade my TF101 for a 7" model in the process too. Already been tempted to pick up the Zenbook a number of times.

I was initially very intrigued by all these hybrid Win 8 devices but I've come to realize that a tablet larger than 10" is just unwieldy (thanks Yoga 13); and 16:9 Windows tablets seem very unattractive in portrait mode, which I use a lot with my TF... Plus a 10" laptop is just gonna feel cramped for work; and if it's 1080p it's gonna be a pain on the desktop. I'd rather have a matte screen if I'm working too, and I honestly don't see the point of a touchscreen on a typical laptop...

Something like the Yoga 13 still has some merit (thanks to the 360 hinge), but a regular Zenbook with a touchscreen tacked on (which I understand was on ASUS roadmap) just seems pointless. Reaching over the keyboard to touch the screen is totally unnatural IMO and basically only happens if/when you get fed up with a bad touchpad.

Could always wait for the Haswell refresh, even if they don't bump it to 8GB (I'd hope they do) you'd get better battery life and a better GPU. I think that's my plan at the moment, will probably try a smaller tablet in the meantime to see if I miss my 10" TF.

Ended up purchasing one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DXVUGS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My rationale:
  1. It's the right size for 1080p without DPI scaling. My eyes were opened to how much this would be a factor when I started looking more closely at UX3* reviews and played with a co-worker's surface. 1366x768 looks flippin' TINY on a 10" display if you're using the standard font and icon sizes. I can't imagine what 1080p will look like on the Surface Pro. Scaling will be a must for that part.
  2. Quad core and a dedicated GPU. Not quite as good as the GPU on the MBP, but just about half the cost. If I add in my own SSD and BD Drive I may well have a machine that's superior in its own right and still at half to a third of what I would have paid Apple.

Basically, I could have paid more money for a less powerful Ultrabook that was somewhat thinner, or a LOT more for a slightly more powerful Mac that doesn't work well in Windows. I'm all for thin and light laptops, but when you put it like that...
  3. IPS screen. Was this close to pulling the trigger on a Y580 when I saw that the Y580 was TN. Reviews say it's one of the best TNs they've ever seen though, so if I end up with a panel plagued by "orangegate" and find it unbearable I may swallow my preconceptions and try the Y580.
  4. Price was right. The Vaio Z and MBP were priced firmly out of reach of impulse buy territory. This wasn't, even though it had many of the features that made either so attractive.

I'm going to take very good care of it so if it isn't a good fit for me it can end up on eBay or FS/T.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ended up purchasing one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DXVUGS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My rationale:
  1. It's the right size for 1080p without DPI scaling. My eyes were opened to how much this would be a factor when I started looking more closely at UX3* reviews and played with a co-worker's surface. 1366x768 looks flippin' TINY on a 10" display if you're using the standard font and icon sizes. I can't imagine what 1080p will look like on the Surface Pro. Scaling will be a must for that part.
  2. Quad core and a dedicated GPU. Not quite as good as the GPU on the MBP, but just about half the cost. If I add in my own SSD and BD Drive I may well have a machine that's superior in its own right and still at half to a third of what I would have paid Apple.

Basically, I could have paid more money for a less powerful Ultrabook that was somewhat thinner, or a LOT more for a slightly more powerful Mac that doesn't work well in Windows. I'm all for thin and light laptops, but when you put it like that...
  3. IPS screen. Was this close to pulling the trigger on a Y580 when I saw that the Y580 was TN. Reviews say it's one of the best TNs they've ever seen though, so if I end up with a panel plagued by "orangegate" and find it unbearable I may swallow my preconceptions and try the Y580.
  4. Price was right. The Vaio Z and MBP were priced firmly out of reach of impulse buy territory. This wasn't, even though it had many of the features that made either so attractive.

I'm going to take very good care of it so if it isn't a good fit for me it can end up on eBay or FS/T.

I will warn you now, the magnesium lid feels a little plasticy, just try not to dwell on it. After using it a few days you'll appreciate the overall good build quality and light weight. It's a surprisingly stiff and sturdy machine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back