Upcoming issue of PC Gamer claims new Hitman "is a mess"

The face cover/blend thing is part of the whatevertheycallit system. That is not enabled on Purist.

Ok.

So far me and my silent silverballers have a nice little reunion here. ;)

Highest difficulty purist mode: This is some fairly decent AI I'm seeing. I'm getting made at the drop of a hat practically even in the best of disguises.

Ya...Steam caught there error for allowing it to be unlocked with the preload and fixed that shit real fast if you exited the game

Ya...Steam caught there error for allowing it to be unlocked with the preload and fixed that shit real fast if you exited the game

That sucks. They should have just let it go. Oh well.

Yeah, I was playing for around 2 hours, did the first two missions and then the game crashed and I wasn't able to play again, it just said the game wasn't unlocked yet.

I really don't get the huge over reactions people have had. I mean the game feels very much like a ":hitman" to me and you can easily play it without the instinct feature and things off, AI can even be harder then the previous games imo with how fast they can react/notice you on higher difficulties.

The story is also building up quite well and the cutscenes are very well done imo. Definitely feels like a more darker/personal storyline for this one.

As far as gameplay goes I have never been one to rambo it/go in guns blazing, I'm doing pure silent assassin and it works just as well here as in the previous games. Of coures some kills are scripted (for story reasons at least it seems) and it makes sense. The ones that aren't you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Yeah, I was playing for around 2 hours, did the first two missions and then the game crashed and I wasn't able to play again, it just said the game wasn't unlocked yet.

Well, I liked the sneak preview I got. :)

Playing hardcore purist mode. Playing the prologue so far. Have had a few "Hitman moments." ;)

Liking what I see so far.

Question: At that high of difficulty, if I take on a disguise, I can't "cover my face" like I've seen in some videos and such right? If so, how? Because I'm getting made pretty fast.

On lower difficulties, you can hold down a key to allay their suspicions by putting your hand over your face. I can’t think of a way to mock this that would make it sound any more absurd than that

Only available on lower difficulties, and this is a hilarious tactic, I really want to see the Cynical Brit review of this game.

Playing hardcore purist mode. Playing the prologue so far. Have had a few "Hitman moments." ;)

Liking what I see so far.

Question: At that high of difficulty, if I take on a disguise, I can't "cover my face" like I've seen in some videos and such right? If so, how? Because I'm getting made pretty fast.

It is the instinct button. You might want to go through a level on Expert before Purist. Levels will be ridiculous without any knowledge of the mission.

So what is the general consensus here regarding the instinct button and playing on purist mode....

I wish games were made like the old days 5 years ago, when there wasn't so much crap added to games like perk systems and this "instinct crap"...just make a game that you can either sneak around or go balls out and spend more time on the AI and visuals...That my opinion

I'm not making this up. The game has been re-locked on me.

same thing happened to this guy and it's still working, check it out if you want to see some real gameplay footage on hardcore/purist. he apparently just called out of work to keep the stream going, so I'm guessing it's gonna be up all night :D.

So what is the general consensus here regarding the instinct button and playing on purist mode....

I wish games were made like the old days 5 years ago, when there wasn't so much crap added to games like perk systems and this "instinct crap"...just make a game that you can either sneak around or go balls out and spend more time on the AI and visuals...That my opinion

Play it the way you want. You can disable all that crap if you want.

Game just unlocked. Enjoy! I probably won't get to play much tonight.

EDIT: Seems to be having problems unlocking fully. Stuck at the "Updating:..." screen with ever-increasing time estimates. :(

Last edited:
Finally worked! Also, lol @ getting an achievement for running the benchmark, and there being 47 achievements possible... ;)

I notice there are already a bunch of $1 DLC weapons/costumes available on Steam...

EDIT: Didn't play for very long, but I'm getting some massive weird stutter. 1980x1020, Max settings other than MSAA off...shouldn't have an issue according to the benchmark.

Last edited:
What the heck. It unlocked like 13 minutes ago, and it is "Updating Hitman: Absolution."
Read to launch in approx: 1 hour and counting higher and higher..... ?? :OOO

I had it completely preloaded! :(( Anyone else having this trouble?

Only available on lower difficulties, and this is a hilarious tactic, I really want to see the Cynical Brit review of this game.

the 'cover your face' tactic to go undetected is almost as silly as the 'blend' tactic in the Assassin's Creed series where you can hide among a group or sit on a bench between 2 other people and go undetected even if the enemy is right in front of you :p

What the heck. It unlocked like 13 minutes ago, and it is "Updating Hitman: Absolution."
Read to launch in approx: 1 hour and counting higher and higher..... ?? :OOO

I had it completely preloaded! :(( Anyone else having this trouble?

I restarted Steam and it went down to a few minutes. Actually did take at least that long, though.

I received this game as part of the "Never Settle" bundle and have never even really paid attention to the Hitman series, but...holy shit...I haven't even completed the first "Contracts" tutorial and I can already tell that this game is the shit.

I love 'stumbling' across games that I've just never really given the time of day, never read about, etc. and they end up being something that just totally surprises me. The gameplay seems tight enough, the graphics fit the game perfectly, and I see myself becoming addicted to the competitive aspect of "Contracts"...anyhow my impression of this game is that it is titties. Yay for me not having any expectations what so ever of this game, and being able to enjoy a new "genre". SHYES!!!

I received this game as part of the "Never Settle" bundle and have never even really paid attention to the Hitman series, but...holy shit...I haven't even completed the first "Contracts" tutorial and I can already tell that this game is the shit.

I love 'stumbling' across games that I've just never really given the time of day, never read about, etc. and they end up being something that just totally surprises me. The gameplay seems tight enough, the graphics fit the game perfectly, and I see myself becoming addicted to the competitive aspect of "Contracts"...anyhow my impression of this game is that it is titties. Yay for me not having any expectations what so ever of this game, and being able to enjoy a new "genre". SHYES!!!

If you can handle the dated graphics, give the previous games a go after you've finished Absolution. Hitman is an awesome series.

Ok finally it was at like 85% done updating and then I get a "An error occurred while updating Hitman: Absolution (disk write error) ..... nothing seems to change that now...

anyone else? :/

If you can handle the dated graphics, give the previous games a go after you've finished Absolution. Hitman is an awesome series.
I may just do this. I've got a couple of days off starting Wednesday, and it looks like I may be splitting my gaming time between Planetside 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman...and the occasional CS:GO match of course. For 'free' games this can't be beat. Can't wait to try out Far Cry 3 as well.

As for Hitman...just wow. Had no idea it was like this. It reminds me of the first Metal Gear Solid on PS1 sort of...that was another game that I had only heard of in passing and ended up totally being blown away by. The fact that it has the "Contracts" mode already has me excited. I have a feeling I may not even touch the actual "Absolution" part of the game because of it.

Ok finally it was at like 85% done updating and then I get a "An error occurred while updating Hitman: Absolution (disk write error) ..... nothing seems to change that now...

anyone else? :/
I just clicked on the "Play" button a little earlier without even realizing it was unlocked and it actually brought up the "Update" tab...anyhow, my whole computer was acting sluggish as if it was being bogged down. The update progress kept gaining in the amount of time left, but eventually it finished...took a while though. I restarted my PC after it was done updating though. The game is great btw.

Game is soooo sick so far

Not to mention it looks beautiful. Gonna turn of tessellation though for the 30 fps it takes from me hah

So far im lovin this game...looks really beautiful with all maxed on my 30" dell...

I actually been using instinct as im playin on hard mode and getting stuck as fuk onm certain areas...and im only 5 min into the game....Ok I made it passed the tennis court into the balcony...How the hell do u get past the 2 guards? I threw a knife to distract one but the other dude sees me evertime...think its time to take out the 2 silver ballers.... =]

You get an achievement just for running the benchmark, I am gonna stop there and play the hell out of this game tomorrow after class as my Thanksgiving break will begin then.

Seems like my rig will handle the game fine @ 2560 x 1440, Everything on ultra/high, SSAO on normal, FXAA, Global Illumination and tesselation all ticked and MSAA @ 2x. Getting 72 FPS average with a max of 90 and a 60 fps minimum.

Playing on purist just looks utterly retarded.

The fact that the AI is more than willing to have 10 cops fire round after round into a fucking crowd of civilians because you didn't tip your cap as you walked past is dumb. Or that you literally have to sit there eating donuts like a fat idiot because the instant you do all suspicion of you drops to zero (and immediately begins spiking again the second you stop eating).

http://www.twitch.tv/draco

Played through the prologue on normal since I don't have time to play on Purist right now and I wanted to see what the game was like. I'll b restarting on a harder difficulty I think. Normal is waaaay to easy and I don't think it will make the game terribly fun. That said, the story seems to have some interesting hooks early on and it is a great looking game.

Lol...the comments here are ridiculous. It's as if we're competing for a grand prize in a Korean tournament. IMO I'm playing on the default Normal and using that hide your face shit all the time. I love when developers add little things like that. I'm sick of the same shit in every game, all the time. Time for something different and neat. Then I'll play through Expert.

Also the game looks to be good from what I'm seeing/reading. The cause for concern and worry was another ridiculous and unnecessary step we took. :p

He already did a WTF is... on this game a few days ago. It's a good watch.

people calling for reviewers to review games on their highest difficulty level don't know how reviews are generated...no way will anybody play at max difficulty for a review...main reason being time...you want to get the review out and not cater to the hard core enthusiasts...maybe on a subsequent playthrough they will do this but it's a rarity

it's also ironic that many of the same people calling for a Purist review are also the same people who never finish most games they start...so what exactly is the point?

Glad to hear that the game apparently didn't follow the path of Syndicate.

This happens in so many game threads on here. Someone digs up something from a website that says something negative about the game and everyone ends up worrying or even predicting that the game will be terrible. Then they play it and find that there wasn't nearly as much to worry/complain about as they thought. There is definitely something to be said for going in with low expectations rather than high ones...I'm with you guys on that, but it's just funny to always see people proclaiming the death of a game or series before they even get a chance to play it for themselves. People did the same thing with Max Payne 3 and countless other games, yet in the end many people were highly impressed with the final product.

Then, sometimes, the opposite happens and you have a Far Cry 2 or a RAGE that everyone is hyped up about and then the final product comes out... :D

socK said:
Or that you literally have to sit there eating donuts like a fat idiot

AHAH..AHAHAH. I died laughing. That's so fucking funny.

I want to eat donuts...

Most maximum difficulties are flat-out terrible because games aren't balanced for them...they are solely designed around Normal Mode. Look at COD's "Veteran difficulty" which is just one-shot-deaths, infinitely-respawning enemies and grenade spam. Developers increase difficulties by making the game unfair and completely smashing any presence of sensible balancing.

If reviewers did play every game on the highest difficulty, almost every game would get less than 5 out of 10.

Most maximum difficulties are flat-out terrible because games aren't balanced for them...they are solely designed around Normal Mode. Look at COD's "Veteran difficulty" which is just one-shot-deaths, infinitely-respawning enemies and grenade spam. Developers increase difficulties by making the game unfair and completely smashing any presence of sensible balancing.

If reviewers did play every game on the highest difficulty, almost every game would get less than 5 out of 10.

True that. I like to play games on the "Middle" setting when I fire it up the first time. I love going back and doing things again in Hitman though. So I'll eventually do Extreme and Purist this week.

Any ideas on game length?

From what some have been saying on reviews, anywhere between 10 and 30 hours for the game. Plus the game has high replayability (apparently).

I'm very happy with this game so far. I really think that Hitman vets are going to want to play in the Professional level difficulties and probably purist to really feel like they're "back home" so to speak but you can change on the fly anyways best I can tell.

I'm very happy with this game so far. I really think that Hitman vets are going to want to play in the Professional level difficulties and probably purist to really feel like they're "back home" so to speak but you can change on the fly anyways best I can tell.

You took today off to play didn't you. I'll murder you!! :mad:

tessellation kills performance though.

still a beautiful game without it.

how come when my fiber wire is selected i sneak and press Q and 47 punches him instead? the fucks up with that ;O

Back